shastipoorthi pooja(Marriage during 60th birthday)

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by magal, Jan 18, 2011.

1. magal

magal New IL'ite

Hi All,

Please let me know the procedure of shastipoorthi pooja. What ritual is followed?

My inlaws 60th marriage is on the way. I just want to know what should be done and what will be the estimate so that me and my hubby can start preparations for it.

Waiting for replies. Help me.

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Sashtiaapdapoorthi (known also as "Sashti Aapda Poorthi" or "Sashti Poorthi") is celebrated on completion of 60 years of married life by the living couple. Having devoted to the service of God, built and retained the family ties with a bond of constant relationships, this is a best time to celebrate at this phase of life. This is considered more ideal to set an example to their own family and society. This celebration is usually organized by the couple’s children, younger siblings and grand children. In addition to various poojas, part of the wedding ceremony is re-enacted. The couple that is celebrating Vivaha Shastyabdi are given blessings from elders who have themselves already celebrated such events. The best belief is that Vivaha Shastyabdi couple blesses all those participating / witnessing persons that too the younger than the Vivaha Shastyabdi couple.

If it is a very simple ceremony performing "Ayush Homam is a must. The other Homams that can be included are, Navagraha homam ( praying to all planets for the well-being), Dhanvanthri homam ( praying for good health) and Mrithyunjaya homam ( praying for longevity).

The next higher step is to have Rudra Ekadashi if you are followers of Lord Shiva. The sanctified water is done abhishekam for the couple, followed generally by a “Dhampadi pujai”. This needs Purohits who are well qualified to chant Rudram & Chamakam. Over & above, poor-feeding, making donations for worthy causes, creating endowments can all be done - these are more social than religious. Please contact your pandit for more religious formalities.

You can also perform Sashti Poorthi at Thirukkadaiyoor. The presiding deity there is Amritha Ghateswara ( nectar lingam) who protected Markandeya from Death.

Sri Amirtha kadesvarar temple which is located in Thirukadiyur, which is near Mayiladuthurai in Nagappatinam district, in the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Tamilnadu</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>. It is around twenty kilometers from Mayiladuthurai. It is situated in the chidambaram- <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Nagappatinam East Coast Road</st1:address></st1:Street>.

details of homam

Sri Ganapathy Homam
    Navagraka Homam
    Mirthunjya Homam
    Ayul Homam
    Thanvandhiri Homam
    Durga Homam
    Ashta Lakshmi Homam
    Sudharshana Homam
    Maha Vishnu Homam
    Kudumba Sagitha

age of shanthi

Ukradha Santhi
    the age 59 to 60

Sashtiyaptha poorthy
    the age 60 to 60

Bhimaradha shaanthi homam
    the age 70 to 75

Sadhabishegam
    the age 80 to 85

3. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

WOW!!!!!!! Anu..

That was a good explaination.... thanks for sharing..

Shanti

4. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

thank you....................

5. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Let me add one more point here....

Sashti = Sixty
    Aaptham = Age
    Phoorthi = Completed

Means, has to be done on completion of 60 years, on the Janma Natchatra of the couple, and not on any other day....This has to be followed, which is elaborated in Vedic Sastras and Niyamas.

Thanks to Anu for posting valuable information.

But Vedic Pandits suggest to do Sashti Aaptha Poorthi only at home, so that the Longevity of the couple increases, and then the couples to visit Sri Abhirami Ambal Sametha Sri Amruthakadeswarar temple at Thirukkadaiyur.

Thanks and regards

1 person likes this.
  6. alagarsamy

alagarsamy Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sir for the information, have small doubt..

have to do the pooja on the Janma Natchatra of the couple means on the natchathira birth day of my father?

Thanks,
    Vidhya

7. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

yes exactly Vidhya

8. bavanisuresh

bavanisuresh New IL'ite

Sashtiapthapoorthi Pooja is performed to celebrate the 60th birthday of a person when he/she enter the 61styear.

Religious Significance of Sathapathi Pooja
    • Prayers are made to Ayur Devata, Amrutha Mrithyunjaya, Dhanvanthri Devatha and Saptha Chiranjeevis
    • It celebrates the successful conjugal life
    When can be the Sathapathi Pooja be performed?
    • It is celebrated on the day on which the janma nakshatra of the person falls on the birth month.
    Advantages of Performing the Sathapathi Pooja
    • Gains God’s blessings for longevity and to lead a spiritual life
    For more Details Please Visit our Website www.Pujanpujari.com