1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Sewing / Tailoring / Stitching : Questions and Answers to General Doubts

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by durgamantha, Jan 1, 2009.

1. saami99

saami99 New IL'ite

Hi Durga,
    Can you tell me how to cut & stitch a ghagra choli for my 3yrs old daughter &how to take measurements?

2. makka

makka New IL'ite

Thank you, I am aslo new in IL I am a seamstress for last 20yrs. I do have some question like for arm measurement is it good to take all around arm or to calculate from shoulder measurement or chest measurement.
    Thanks

1 person likes this.
  3. Priyabangalore

Priyabangalore New IL'ite

Re: Sewing / Tailoring / Stitching Useful Websites & Links

Can anyone in bangalore help me out........
    I want to learn to stitch chudi, salwar and blouses. Anyone know about any tailoring classes in Jaya Nagar, JP nagar areas which is nearby to me.
    If so give me phone no. and other details so that i can find out duration, cost etc.

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

alter armhole/sleeves for short kurta top

Hi,
    I bought a kurta top which is too big for me.
    It is full sleeves and very wide too, even the arm hole is wide.but otherwise all ok.
    i have cut the sleeves to make it 3/4th but not sure how to reduce the armhole and make the sleeves thinner to give a nice fit to my arms.

there is no shape to the body of the kurta, just plain rectangle and the sleeves are in right angle to the body. i mean not perfect fitting but loose fitting.
    any idea how to alter the armholes?
    i need to make the armhole smaller and then fit the sleeves to it.

Thanks,
    Chaaral.

5. saheli3

saheli3 Gold IL'ite

Re: alter armhole/sleeves for short kurta top

Hi Chaaral,

As from my knowledge, it is easier to make a smalller arm hole bigger and not so easy the other way. To make the arm hole smaller, you will have to open the stitches at the shoulder and neck and detach the sleeves. Mark the arm hole size that you require from below to shoulder. Cut off the excess cloth above the marking upto the shoulder. Then you will have to resize the neck because now the kurta length is raised. The sleeves should then be resized to fit the new armhole size. Attach the sleeves and finish the neck. Doing this way the length of the kurta will become shorter by the size of cloth cut off. So you have to make sure that the alteration will not reduce the length too much. As for the side alteration, you have to open the stitches at the sides and shape it as per your requirement and re stitch it.
    Hope this is clear. Good luck. You need patience to do the alterations. Its lot easier to sew a new dress than alter an existing one.

6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thankyou Saheli. for now i just have shortened the full sleeves to 3/4th.
    I understand now and ur explanations are very helpful, but the problem is the neck is a collar so i think i wont be able to alter on the top. just a round neckline would be easier than this collar.

Thanks.

7. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Hi chaaral ,

If the top too big for you you can reduce the size of the armhole by stitching another line inside the side seams of the body and sides of the sleeve as shown in the image that I have attached. If the sides of the sleeve and body are stitched and then sleeve is attached to the body,unravel a few stitches , stitch the sides of the body and sleeve and attach the sleeve portion to the body portion

Attached Files:

8. lallu

lallu New IL'ite

madam
    Iam new to stitching and have a doubt regarding the armhole stitching. should the arm be attached in the beginning before joining the sides in the chudidhar top and blouse or should it be done at last. What difference does it make?

9. deepalakshmiks

deepalakshmiks Senior IL'ite

Wow..... nice explanation with picture...

Thanks for sharing valuable tips. :thumbsup

10. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Vani,
    Thanks so much for the detailed explanation, i will try it, this way i think i can give some shape to the body as well as alter armhole and shorten the kurta.
    Thanks!
    Chaaral