1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sermon On The Day Of Vaikunth Ekadashi

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Dec 20, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

SERMON ON THE DAY OF VAIKHUNTH EKADASHI

He had not called even once for the last few days. It was quite unusual of Hari my name shake and my best friend. There was hardly a day when did not call me at least twice a day ever since we came to know of each other.

The subject of his talk always centers around the little pieces he pens on his favorite blue writing pads. Ever since he learned reading and writing, the realization came upon him that he had a creative mind and the world must be told about it. He was always in the annual school magazine and later on in the house journals of the organizations he worked with. He was rarely published in commercial papers and magazines but that did not deter him from writing ‘Letters to the Editor” or sending his stories to the magazines. Since hardly anything was published and none returned, it can be safely assumed that all his literary works journeyed to the scrap dealer through the west paper baskets of the editors or sub-editors.

After retirement there were no house journals. He never had any obliging editors anyway. But the itch for creative writing did not leave him and he continued writing and shoving them into his already cramped drawers. He then took to typing with the help of his laptop and storing them in his different folders. This gave him the satisfaction of having been published albeit in his own blog. Then the miracle happened. He was introduced to few web sites and groups on the net. He found his Mecca because it is here his prayers were heard and responded in the form of unlimited space for getting published. What was still unique here was the presence of some like or some unlike minded friends who ‘viewed’ his posts and at times commented too. Now you know why he telephoned at least twice a day. It was to tell me how many had ‘viewed’ his posts and how many had commented. He would read those comments to me and I could clearly visualize the child like pride in his eyes. I was happy for him not that he is an ‘unputdownable’ writer but because at last he found a willing and appreciative audience.

Since he did not call for four days, I called him. It was not picked up. So I went to his home. After many knocks he opened the door. It looked as if he had not taken a shower for all these days, nor changed. His complete demeanor was of a crest fallen person who has been robbed on the way. After lot of prodding this is what he said in his own words. We were sitting on a swing in his garden.

“I am very loyal to these sites. I posted almost one post a day and got all the attention I aspired for”.

“You should be happy”, I said.

“I also thought so” He did not like the interjection but continued. “I feel like losing my shine. Few view my posts, fewer comments or feedback on my posts. My last two posts have gone almost unnoticed. You tell me what should I do? Would one not be dejected in such a situation? My last blog ‘The elephant in the room' has gone fut just like my previous blog ‘Fighting for cash and cause’

With this, he laid his pen and pad on the table and switched of the laptop and internet connection and declared he will not write and he will not post.

I thought it is time for a sermon on the chariot parked outside the virtual platform of the group.

‘Hari” I exclaimed in wonder, ‘What has happened to you? People like you do not waver in the face of acceptance or rejection, views or no views, comments or no comments. People like you do not crave for fame. For them honor or dishonor, profit or loss, friends or enemies, love or hate and all such worldly measures are illusionary. Think not you were not viewed, think not you were not commented upon, and grieve not.”

He kept quite in a remorseful mood. I continued. “You are my best friend. I will reveal the truth to you because you trust me. All these ’viewers’ and ‘commentators’ are always with you. They may or may not ‘view’ or ‘comment’ but they will miss you when you stop posting. “karmanyevadhikarste ma faleshu’ (Your job is to post not to seek the comments).

So, Hari! Get up and post this dialogue between us. I promise to you that all who read this (not just view) and post their comments will be freed from the worldly illusions and will be blessed for generations. Those who will spread this far and wide within and outside the platform shall be amply rewarded in this life only”

After along and pregnant silence he said “You have opened my eyes. You are my true friend. Now I will do what you say”

Amica, periamma, Thyagarajan and 10 others like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

This comes as a healing balm to many many writers belonging to the category of Hari.Among the writers only a few get acknowledged.Not that whoever gets acknowledged does some meaningful job.
    An essay depicting the emotions of average writers.
    Jayasala 42

3. HariLakhera

True.
    Addenda:
    I called on him today and he was not happy with the poor response he got on his latest post- Sermon on the day of Vaikunth Ekadasi. I told him- it is not important what you write. It is important on what you write. There will be no encouraging response on subjects related to religion, soul, death, after death and so on. People are fed up with these sermons. Write on subjects of common interests. Write on subjects of daily routine. You must be in a position to understand what your readers want. Give them what they want and understand. Don't write on complex issues which neither you understand nor you expect others to understand.

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Yes, average people like me want to participate in topics which we understand. Other serious topics... We may learn a lot from them but commenting and participating in a discussion is beyond my ability. That is a learning process. That is also useful.
    I enjoy Pride and prejudice more than a Nobel Prize winning book like Gitanjali. In Pride and Prejudice I can relate to myself and others around me. Abstract and vague... Beyond my capability.
    Syamala

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Poignant second person account of a writer's lament. As understanding gradually dawns, the heart sinks with emotions that are familiar to anyone who has ever created anything with love and put it out there for better or worse. Rejection is part and parcel of any creative pursuit though I must add that reception of an article on IL is not a good measure of its read-worthiness. Many factors play into the type of attention a snippet receives, few if any are objective. Many are brilliant and rightfully grab the attention of the readers, others simply timely. Sometimes the subject matter resonates with the reader demographic and other times it is too complex to encourage feedback. Much as we would hope it didn't, popularity of the author does play a role. Then there are those like me who read and appreciate but simply don't get around to verbalizing that appreciation. Nevertheless, appreciation or lack of it should not deter one from doing something that brings joy and satisfaction. I read this lovely article on using rejection as a strategy for growth the NYT last week - Opinion | I Got Rejected 101 Times I think you will enjoy it.

Anyone and everyone who ever puts themselves out for the world to judge needs to have this quote pasted where they can read it every morning,

It is another's fault if he be ungrateful, but it is mine if I do not give. To find one thankful man, I will oblige a great many that are not so. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Do not give with expectation of appreciation and do not let an expected lack of appreciation hold you back from giving. If the act of giving, in this case putting words on paper, brings you joy then do so free of any expectation. The woods would be silent indeed if only the sweetest birds sang.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. HariLakhera

Well said. That's the message.
    ‘Hari” I exclaimed in wonder, ‘What has happened to you? People like you do not waver in the face of acceptance or rejection, views or no views, comments or no comments. People like you do not crave for fame. For them honor or dishonor, profit or loss, friends or enemies, love or hate and all such worldly measures are illusionary. Think not you were not viewed, think not you were not commented upon, and grieve not.”

He kept quite in a remorseful mood. I continued. “You are my best friend. I will reveal the truth to you because you trust me. All these ’viewers’ and ‘commentators’ are always with you. They may or may not ‘view’ or ‘comment’ but they will miss you when you stop posting. “karmanyevadhikarste ma faleshu’ (Your job is to post not to seek the comments).
    Having said that, feedback is motivating.

Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  7. HariLakhera

Syamalji,
    I agree with you in toto. Sometimes it is very difficult to grasp the true meaning and more efforts may be needed but social sites are generally for sharing simple pleasures of life. It's fun. Nevertheless, there is always room for serious topics and there are many like-minded people to talk to.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera
    Hariji
    déjà vu !
    I do not know when you wrote it but the feelings expressed are so strikingly identical. I should concede that your version is a lot more interesting. The presentation may be different but the woes expressed are identical. I now know why Ganeshji stipulated to Vyasa that he would take the dictation of Mahabarath only if Vyasa committed to dictate the whole story without a break. A break in writing can be fatal because it is a lot more difficult to resume after a break. I have seen the narrators asking the writer 'Where did I leave?' everytime after the break.
    On hearing of my Writer's Block, a friend of mine suggested that I should take head-bath daily to ensure that my brain doesn't get dry!
    A beautiful presentation, Hariji
    sri

satchitananda, Viswamitra and jskls like this.
  9. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Cheeniya,
    I should compliment both Vyasa and Ganesha for creating such a marvelous epic. For mortal like us taking a head bath every morning is must to keep it calm. It is also a fact that some great writers have produced only one or two masterpieces. Years pass before they write something worthwhile. And there was R K Laxman who could come with a hilarious cartoon strip every morning. He would sit for hours in the office doing many things and then something would come in the back or front of his head and lo and behold there goes the common man. All his cartoons would relate to the common man and hence easily understood. I think that is the trick. to select a subject that can relate to the general audience.

satchitananda, Viswamitra and jskls like this.
  10. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Hariji,

Your writing touch our hearts. Keep writing whenever your thoughts flow and your fingers convert those thoughts to words.

Thyagarajan, HariLakhera and jskls like this.