Senior Level In Big Company Or Lead Level In Small Company?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by jillcastle, Jan 13, 2017.

1. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I currently have 2 offers. Pay and commute both are the same. But one is a senior level in a top MNC company, but the other is a lead level in a small company (not very small, but not as big as the other one either). I like the project in the MNC, and the company name will look good in my resume after a year or so, but I also feel it is time to move to lead level when the opportunity comes.

What should I do? Any inputs from people who have been in similar situation will be helpful. TIA.

Updated to add:
    I also feel guilty to resign from current job. A couple months back there was a mass layoff and I was one of them. But my manager pulled some strings and I could retain my job. I feel awful to go and tell her I am resigning. The pay is more in my new job, and will boost my career. What would be the best way to handle talking to my manager?

2. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

Hi dear,

I don't know the complete situation but personally I feel MNC is a better choice as first you will have a bigger brand name on your resume plus since its a big company you may have the option to apply for other roles within the company after working for sometime like 1-2 yrs. Basically in MNCs you may have more opportunities to diversify and explore other roles but in smaller companies you may have to change the job because they may have limited number of options available. The other reason I would have selected the MNC is the company culture, usually all MNCs have a set culture and professional etiquettes, you find good quality of people with nicer skills and talents than in smaller companies. You also get to learn something from your colleagues. Plus with the brand name of MNC your resume in future will stand out from others.

As far as your communication with your current manager is concerned don't be scared, just be very polite and thank her profusely for helping at the time of uncertainty and possibly take her out to a lunch or coffee before your last day, if you have such relations with your manager. This way you will maintain good relations as well as you still will be able to convey your resignation. You can also mention this opportunity is too good to pass but I will miss working with you as you have been a very supportive manager. Hope these tips are helpful :)

jillcastle likes this.
  3. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Thank you dear for your reply. I agree with your points, but I learned that the smaller company is willing to offer more salary now. I am getting really confused.

Other than the pay, one thing I like about working in smaller companies is we get to learn a lot since we work in the core module which is not so in a big company. Big company has a bigger team and we dont get to work in a project end to end. So I am still confused which one to take :(

happygolucky22 likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

+1 . U make a lot more impact in a smaller company. I have personal preference to work in start ups for that reason. Yes there are risks and its stressful at times..but in the end u know u made a difference..u can drive the product..ur ideas matter...in large companies ..u are just another cog in the wheel.

sheztheone and jillcastle like this.
  5. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

Congratulations on receiving these offers. :)

Your decision is completely based on your expectations from the role. With time & experience moving up the ladder becomes very important, with relevant experience & knowledge you will get further opportunities to move into an MNC anytime. So ask yourself what you need from this new role. Is it career growth, money, both or anything else these company can offer considering its suitability to your personal life.

If I were you, I would make a list comparing the perks from both the companies, do some more research to see what they can offer individually apart from the numbers on your offer letter. Some companies offer flexible hours, better leave policy and , bonus programs, etc. Having worked for an MNC for a few years I can assure you, a senior up in an MNC is pretty much equivalent to a lead in a medium scaled organization. There comes lot more with the position - Perks/Pressure to perform. So ask yourself, are you ready for the challenges the new role will bring - professionally/personally (work/life balance).

When you have done your research & answered some important questions for yourself. You will be closer to your decision.

Current Job: Your manager sure knows you were worth the role & could manage to pull you back. But remember, you were laid off once. There is no assurance/security of this job anytime. Your manager will be convinced if you have the right reasons to move on.

My best wishes to the new phrase of your career! :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    jillcastle and Laks09 like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've done both and honestly in the US, I prefer a start up or a smaller company rather than a big one. I learned so much more from my stint in a small start up than I ever did in a big company.
    In big firms, I feel like I'm boxed in, doing the things I'm doing. In smaller ones there are opportunities to do more and there isn't bureaucracy involved in doing someone else's work(there isn't enough people so you will be wearing multiple hats).
    Downsides are that the small companies need to be well funded and backed by good investors. The risk of closing and losing the job is always there.
    Not all roles are defined, so the job expectations are fluid. You have to fill in a lot of gaps. It isn't an 8-5 job sometimes. I had understanding bosses so it wasn't too hard to manage with a little child. I had the flexibility to bring stuff home and do it later.

It's hard to understand how it will be from the outside. You talk to both managers and make a decision based on the information you gather.

Regarding the current manager, don't feel bad. This is a job. You got a better opportunity and growth opportunities are hard to come by. You can't let it pass. Just put it forth unemotionally and professionally. Do your wrap up and hand off properly. Any reasonable manager will understand this.

jillcastle likes this.
  7. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I am still thinking about all the points mentioned. I shall update here once I make a decision. Thanks once again (y)

8. Sags

Sags Silver IL'ite

Congratulations @jillcastle as i said in other post this year looks like yours . My only suggestion is get in to job where you have lot of flexibility and going fwd atleast this year and next you need to think more about flexibility than pay . If i were you i will nt change my job to concentrate completely on personal life. In the current position they already knew your work but in a new company you again sld prove your capabilities and in this point of life professional challanges can wait. But again your current position sld be strong as you said you had mass layoffs and your manager got you back. She may or may not do that again if at all it happens again.

jillcastle likes this.
  9. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Just wanted to update. I took the position in the smaller company. My previous office was laying off people left, right and center. I leaned towards the bigger company, but the project went on hold and I kind of had no choice but the smaller one. Hope it works out fine.

Now I have one dilemma. I am now 10 weeks pregnant. This is a contract to hire position and my current employer does not want me to reveal the pregnancy to them. My client manager was very excited about me because my experience is very close to what they are looking for. He was already talking about the benefits and the package in case I get hired next year. Now will it look bad if they come to know after joining when it starts to become obvious, in like 2 months?

10. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Can someone share any advice on my second qn?