1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Selection

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Viswamitra, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Viswa sir I personally believe that it's v important for our young girls to be financially independent because if married life turns turbulent and seems to be reaching the dead end they can decide for themselves what to do, to stay or to leave, to seek marriage counseling or therapy. This confidence can play an important part in saving a marriage.

I believe the strength of a marriage lies a lot more on internal qualities of the couple rather thn external. I have seen love marriages break and arranged marriages last and vice versa. Ability to let go, seeing the best in each other, cherishing the similarities and respecting the differences, giving space to each other, sticking out together for each other, keeping the ego, male chauvinism and feminism out of the boundary all this and a lot more can strengthen a marriage. My apologies I just realised that I steered away the direction of your thread.

2. veenago

veenago Bronze IL'ite

I am a mother 2 ( 15 yr old daughter and 9 yr son) and had recently started thinking that we should give equal importance to good karma ( punniyam in tamil) earned through good thoughts / deeds by the parents of the girl / boy.

Joyoflife, sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  3. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswa sir
    I personally feel this will not be possible in most of the cases before marriage.
    Any amount of background check through relatives and close friends is not useful in finding personality traits.
    Two people from a complete differently raised backgrounds being together will definitely create friction.However each and every marriage might be successful if one can embrace the quirks of their partner rather than critiscing in the initial years.ITs true that every quirk cannot be embraced but it should not be criticized atleast

4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Good thoughts / deeds are personal matters that an outsider cannot judge . Also , we should not judge a person by their parents' bad deeds . But as you said , it is also important to make sure the family one is getting into that they should not be overtly too bad ( money minded , chauvinistic )

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:In the last two decades I had attended numerous marriages and found arranged marriages were far and few between.
    2. It is All love at first sight ! & then it is “She loves me - She loves me not” or they find or discover their partner while studying in college or while working in an organisation or via internet chat.
    3. Various parameters you had listed or outlined is not of immediate concern if they had already dated. In the dating era, the basis of decision making is not in parents domain at all.
    4. A friend of mine and neighbour in then Bombay had only a graduate daughter had short listed the boys from their Relative circle and friends families.
    One by one the short listed “candidates“ were coming to her parents house and she during that time went to boy’s parents and interacted and finally ‘she had decided upon her selection’.
    5. I had seen the case where the boys and girls exchange questionnaire and health records of parents and their wards!
    With best wishes

Joyoflife, Viswamitra and sindmani like this.
  6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

In arranged marriage , when bride and groom has time to speak to each other, the bride should feel peaceful to talk to groom. She should have the thought that she is talking to her friend. Then we can say(70 percent sure) that the groom is friendly and understanding type. But again no cent percent guarantee .

Joyoflife, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Joyoflife,

No need for the apology. In fact, you have raised a very important concern every young woman will have before getting married to a man.

You are absolutely right. Every young woman should be financial independent in this generation so that if she ends up with someone who is troublesome, financial strain and the children should not be the prohibiting factors for the right decision she feels comfortable with.

My questions are not only for you but all in IL who can address these questions:

1) What are the techniques a young woman can use during courtship to find whether the prospective groom deserves respect and is not a male chauvinist?

2) What are the root causes under which a man changes his demeanor especially after he appeared to be a perfect gentleman during the courtship and how to address them?

3) What are the things a newly married woman can do to change him to become a fine gentleman again?

Some of the answers you have addressed yourself in your response.

Very well said and you answered most of what I asked in question # 3. I assume by "keeping the ego" you mean, "not showing ego" to the spouse.

Root causes are, in general, created by people outside the marriage and the individual spouse bundling the other spouse with his/her close relatives. not disclosed expectations could be another causing change in the demeanor. Lack of respect for the extended family could be another. Only issue that causes irreversible damage to the relationship is infidelity. Perhaps, the man's mind changes from humble thinking, "I was lucky to find the right woman" to arrogant thinking such as "I have some great qualities that could attract any woman".

Regarding respect, I feel the young woman should watch all his actions carefully whether any of his actions lacks her respect. Some men might be great in their thoughts and even words but their actions may not be matching with their thoughts and words. That is a red flag. Some men are impulsive and can't pretend to be a gentleman too long. Some of their actions may show their true color in some shape or form if their red button is pushed.

I welcome thoughts from all young woman about their thoughts here on all these three questions. @Joyoflife, your participation in this thread is invaluable as much as your excellent contributions.

Viswa

sindmani, Joyoflife and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Viswamitra

@veenago,

I have no doubts in my mind that we need to help the children build excellent character in themselves. But after the children grow up to become adult children, they need to use their discrimination to make their life purposeful.

Viswa

veenago and sindmani like this.
  9. Viswamitra

I agree with your thought that two people from a completely different background will have some differences in their values. It is interesting you mentioned here about quirks. I had a bad habit of touching my mustache when I think or talk with anyone. Many took it as intimidating at my young age when it is habitual for me. My wife discussed this with me almost 10 years after our marriage but didn't raise it immediately. Later, I ended up removing my mustache completely. She always calls me with a nick name no matter who is present but I have not discussed this as an embarrassment to her until now as I know she is not doing it to hurt me.

Viswa

10. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan,

1) Arranged marriages are outdated now and I couldn't agree more.
    2) In the television shows, some young woman explain that I liked his walking style, smoking style, eyes, smile, etc. I wonder how they would eventually settle down in life.
    3) I am not talking about parental advice here. Educated young women should have some criteria to choose their respective life partner. That is what I am trying to find out
    4) I agree the young woman should have the freedom to choose whoever she likes as she is the one who is going to lead that life.
    5) Who knows there could be proficiency test conducted for many young men in future and they have to go through drug test and other lab work before the wedding. :)

Viswa

sindmani, Joyoflife and Thyagarajan like this.