1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Selection

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Viswamitra, Jun 17, 2018.

1. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My take here

1) Academic background - yes
    2) Employment - Most Important and number 1 priority
    3) Green card or citizenship of the US, if she is planning to settle down in the US. - less priority
    4) Body-building - Nope
    5) Physical appearance - Yes, not very much , girls fall in love via ears
    6) Someone who is receptive to the pursuit of her career - Yes, but if guy is really well settled, then this is less important
    7) Nice interaction with in-laws - Yes, important
    8) Someone who is receptive to the pursuit of an art, music, etc. - I dont think so
    9) Someone who has an impeccable character - yes, but if he is boring, then girls will not go for that, dont need father figure again
    10) Clean habits - we never know this if it is arranged marriage
    11) Someone who is willing to make a long term commitment to be together - Invalid question :) Marriage means this is by default yes, no one will look for short term commitment in marriage
    12) Someone who will be a great dad to her children - we never know till he become one.. so cant rate based on this
    13) Someone who will really love, care and share. - love before and after marriage are totally diff, but yes this is one important point..

One More important thing i would like to add is sense of Humor, That is a huge plus for guys..

AND I am going to be very straight forward here, Girls prefer Nuclear set up in initial days later expect support from in laws for baby..
    And no sister in law means bonus points.. dont judge me :p

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@sweetsmiley,

I will never judge you based on your responses here because I wanted to hear the practical suggestions without any fear of sharing them. That is when the true criteria will emerge.

I am so happy you answered the questions by each point. Excellent comment on point #11. I asked this question from the point of view of checking the box before the marriage whether the man has that in mind or not. Same with point #12.

I am laughing at your response in point #9. Men were longing for such women in earlier generations but without any success and the young men now must be very lucky to have so flexible young women. It is interesting Father = Role Model in earlier generation turned out to be Father = Preacher in this generation. It is shocking revelation to me on a Father's Day week. :(

Sense of humor is a great point and it is impressive that this one never changed for generations. Thank you again for your valuable inputs.

Viswa

sindmani and sweetsmiley like this.
  3. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra

Dear Viswa Sir,

I think i should have explained father figure in my comment - father can guide, control the kid, be a role model, sometimes Father Knows everything...

But Girls want someone like a friend, no controlling, more sharing, loving, gossiping, fighting, the way they can move with a friend, thats how they will be able to sail through difficult path in life.. just my 2 cents :)

Viswamitra and sindmani like this.
  4. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

I read the above book by Allan and Barbara Pease cover to cover. It s a wonderful book really really wonderful book ; every sentence of the book has an implication and application in one's real life

Very much true but there is a catch. Is there any way to confirm the above before starting the real life with the said guy? Even during courtship, it's impossible to confirm the above qualities ! An element of luck, unpredictability and sort of gambling does exist here.

Joyoflife and Viswamitra like this.
  5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Viswamitra

@nakshatra1,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience here. I am not sure how many unmarried young women are reading these posts. Your suggestions are very practical and extremely useful to other young women. Sometimes, when you love a person, criteria doesn't get priority. But I am so happy, you have listed a few important ones that every woman should focus on. Your suggestions are very practical and verifiable. In case of past relationship, when you said commitment and honesty, you probably meant commitment to the new life and honesty in sharing the past relationship up front.

Viswa

7. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks , sorry I had already deleted the post by the time you replied , as I felt I couldn't relate much to checklist as I have done love marriage . Still, thanks for your appreciation .
    Yes, that's what I meant regarding that point .

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

That is so true infact I myself was going to write it but I just skipped it. We can only truly know about someone once we live under the same roof bound by commitment, not just about our partner we get to know so much about ourselves as well once we are married. It's a big gamble and luck no amount of match making can predict the strength of a marriage.

9. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

Well said !

10. Viswamitra

How much of unpredictability and risk-taking can be eliminated by developing a technique in early conversations prior to marriage? What kind of evaluation can be carried out to reduce this risk?

I know every human being changes often whether he is married or not and marriage has its own impact in his life. But will there be any early indications to assess someone who is worthy of respect and definitely not a male chauvinist? I know everyone presents their best qualities during courtship and even in normal life. How do we pierce through the veil and find the true personality? My question is, if this is not at all predictable under any circumstances, how different a love marriage is when compared to arranged marriages?

What turns a man to become not worthy of respect or a male chauvinist post marriage? Does he takes the woman he married for granted that she is struck with the marriage? Do men look for someone who would respect him no matter what and is ready and willing to destroy the marriage if that is not the case? Will he ever make an effort to remain married?

I am asking all these questions not to question thoughts expressed but find a way to minimize the risks for young women who are looking to marry now.

sindmani likes this.