1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Secular Food Habits For Secular India

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Woman when they get married into different situations other than theirs, find it difficult to adjust, when I left for kolkata after being in a home full of coconut trees, and veg patch in my house, I scraped a whole coconut half and put in the beans kari I made and my mother in law would say good lord all the coconut for the kari, it is so expensive and you used all into one item, this set me thinking oh no! I have committed a crime should had referred and then done this; the same for coconut oil too must be less and so on.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    When servants are given away the left over, I used to wonder my mother used to recycle it and keerai kozhambu and give us for curd rice, any way here they don’t eat anything that is the left over of the afternoon, in the night.
    No paruppu usal as it raises gas in the body [south eastern cooking] and coconut as base is any day better [south western cooking], this is regional cooking differences, tomato and onion is very much in use in northern India in comparison to the south Indian cooking.
    The tamarind is less in use in the north in comparison to the south as it is plenty available down south whereas in the north only a lot of tomato is in use. Chapathi down south may have picked up now but phulkas were common in the north places like kolkata had the chulah wala roti roasted on fire, and once it raises like a bubble is taken out, but down south people even after all these years are yet to pick up to make soft rotis. the atta available in the market come with maida a lot, so one need to check out the different brands for atta that is only wheat.
    The atta that is along with its bran is good for health but the phulkas will fail, here they will not rise like the ordinary atta. When mixed with millets and jowar, makkai , the rotis come out stiff and have to be mixed with a little curd or milk to soften it.
    The same with rice, one never get good sona masoori in the north, the variety is mostly basmathi, and one who is from south cannot have that aromatic daily and vice versa,
    The moar kozhambu is different from the kadhi that they make in the north, though curd is the base the difference of chana dhall is powder in the north and ground with coconut in south the effect is world apart…
    There is a lot more space for you to fill here….sunkan

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Did you forget 'idli and dhokla'?
    Dosai, adai, upma...kesari is called sooji ka halwa isn't it!

sriniketan

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sundari,
    I have been meaning to visit your blogs ever since you started to blog. But something or other kept me engaged. Today I saw your post to congratulate Sathya. And I thought this is the time.
    Well, women are generally more matured than men because they get this exposure when they get married and walk into another home, totally different from theirs. But in my case I had to wait till my 35th year of age, when I went to Great Britain on an exchange tour for this experience.
    I stayed with a couple who were just a "live-in". He was divorced and she was too. They had children of their own, but were living together as companions.
    I saw an uninhibited man-woman relationship. There was not much of parental influence. The parents were pursuing their own happiness without tying them up with that of their children.
    I could see those lessons simply in the way coconuts and left-overs are treated by your in-laws.
    Sundari, never bother about people not visiting or not commenting. Just go on writing. You have the capacity to deal with more controversial subjects. But do deal with them carefully without breaching any norms or rules. You are sure to attract more views and replies.
    All the best, Sundari.
    Keep blogging,
    affly yoiurs,
    sridhar

4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

By the title of your blog i was thinking of much more radical change than variations of veggie diet Sunkan.

Secular India has people of Hindu(variations of Hindu), Christian, Islam faiths. If one happens to marry between faiths, can you imagine ?? Here I dont mean just the dietary (non Veg) but also cultural (how women are percieved)