Second question:)

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Alicia5, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Dear ILites,

I am back with the second question on my mind. This is a mixture of thoughts that I read in newspaper and a post on IL.
    There was this story in newspaper last week on a child welfare centre in Delhi which is apparently involved in a sex racket. There were horrifying stories on little kids being molested by older men every day of their lives. And then a minister watching **** in assembly. And I wondered what's wrong with our society? We cannot put the blame on certain frustrated lunatics for all this. There is something really wrong with our society.
    What is it? Our social restrictions which still don't allow us to talk about sex to our kids or society which wants their kids to be virgins before marriage even if the kid is 30? and many more

what's your view on reform of our society? Which areas should change for better?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

With Both these cases, it is a case of 'I can do what I what to do because there is no one to hold me accountable'. it is only when things are brought out publicly do we talk about them...and after a while it goes away..then another incident will bring it back to our minds. It is not that we are in denial but it is because we don't have a system in place for justice that plods on even when the public glare wears off.

Mostly we'll hear people say we need harsh and quick justice (usual quotes I see refer to cutting limbs, etc) but what we need is transparency and accountability...

3. Mohur

Mohur Gold IL'ite

Spread Awareness... If people are aware of whats going on around them, it will be harder to pull off such things.

Counsel People... Counsel the people who are less aware and more careless around you.

Do Something... do anything thats within your power to change the set ways of the society. Be it writing an article on forums like this, or Volunteering with NGOs or just changing things around you

2 people like this.
  4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

I agree with Mohur & Teacher... Its just not enough to talk about those issues when having bought up with a larger issue in the media.. and shouting and deciding to have punishments.

Most important thing is educate the children to the required level about these issues and letting go of the hesitation to discussi with parents & elders if they come across such issues... For that our society & families have to deal with more maturity

And the adults & elders who are well aware have to restrain themselves for doing any shameful act and also have to restrict and take stringent action when such abuse has brought under their notice..

Most importantly, I feel the chalta he attitude of today's society is the problem.. Otherwise if the minister wants watch **** he can do that very well while he is in his own room but defintly in assembly..thats such a shameful act....

5. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Thanks T,
    So true!
    The indian legal system, alas, is in such a jeopardized state!

I don't know if something can really be done about it.
    But what I feel personally is and what nobody has given a thought to is "is somewhere our society which still wants to tell you when should you start to have sex and whom with" has any role to play in giving birth to such monsters?

6. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Thanks P4Me for replying.

You are right that we must be on such a friend level with kids that they do not hesitate to speak with us. In this regard also, I think many parents need to change their attitudes. I have seen some parents who instead of supporting their kids, make them feel shameful that something like this happened to them.

7. Alicia5

Alicia5 Junior IL'ite

Thanx Mohur for replying.

Do add in your views for the role of our traditional society in giving birth to such monsters!

Do you think there could be a correlation?