Science behind cultural “why”s - Part 5

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Chitra aunty thank you so much for the apt and precise reply. Only your reply has satisfied Sudha, my DD. She says ethavathu ketta ippadi badhil cholla theriyanam. Appo thaan othukka mudiyum!! :)

2. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra mam

Nice explanation.................

I used to thought that since chappals are made from animal hides (specially in olden days), these are not allowed inside temple premises. Also, leather items are not alowed in many temples, foremost among them is the famous Jagannath temple at Puri. Items made from leather are not allowed iside like belt,purse,umbrella etc. Does the reason behind this traditon is same as given by you or something else?

i have another doubt. Why we shouldn't use iron or steel articlles( diya, thali,plates etc) in puja ? i have heard in old temples, built centuries ago, not even a single piece of iron was used in contsruction. But dont know the reason behind it. Can you throw some insight into it?

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radhica,
    Animal hides were erhaps associated wit dead animals & hence prohibited, I think!!
    I know iron / steel re stricty barred for lamps - but I do not know the reason.
    But some people buy a small iron lamp (bowl-like) specifically to light for sani preethi on saturdays.. But I do not know much about it.
    Love,
    C

4. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Thanks chitra mam for the reply....

actually someone asked me why stel is ot used for puja, at that time your name came to mind, so i asked in the forum.....

When we dont know reason behind some practise, then people tend to question one's belief. that's why i started to gather as much information as possible about our practises and beliefs.....

5. lakvishy

lakvishy Senior IL'ite

No aunty, you are mistaken.

There a lots of people like me, who read these information regularly, but do not leave behind our feedbacks.

It is very informative and useful.

6. Chitvish

Dear lakvishy,
    Thanks.
    Though I enjoy sharing what little I know with you all, FBs do help me push myself forward withour stagnation!!:)
    Love,
    C

7. dblakshmi

dblakshmi Junior IL'ite

Dearest Mami,

It is an eyeopener. I have all the answers for every 'why's' I had and will have to face.
    I had discontinued many things without knowing the scientific reasons behind it and been unable to justify the reasons 'why should you follow this'. Those questions led me to think that the rituals had no specific reason or only superstitions. But I have to thank you a million times for taking your time and energy to pen down all the knowledge and pass this on to the younger generation. I will start implementing these things again.

I pray God Almighty to give you good health and happiness.

8. Chitvish

Thank you, Lakshmi.
    There are some superstitions, but not all are.

9. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

dear maami,

superstition becomes belief once we understand them properly for which your thread contributes a lot.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011