1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sambhar Uninterrupted

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, all of you. Thank you so much. I will come back and post more when I am done blushing. :blush:

I am reminded again why we love IL so much ...

nandinimithun likes this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Rihana, today when I was making Sambar, I recalled each and every words you described and made accordingly !

Rihana and Amica like this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I wish I could have a taste of that sambhar!

Did you share it with your family? or consume it uninterrupted? If you shared, did you hover around asking how they liked it? Did anyone notice the sheer perfection of your sambhar? Did anyone dare to ask why sambhar is not like this every day? Or, horror of horrors, did DH ask which of your friends dropped it off? Did he dare reminisce about better sambhars his mother made?

You should have saved a cup of that sambhar to eat one year from that date — like couples save the top tier of their wedding cake to eat on their first anniversary.

You have a way of describing things that makes the reader feel like they are right there with you. I could hear the mustard seeds popping. I could picture you stirring this lovely potion. I can certainly smell the aroma of your sambhar all the way here.

Write moar!

A take-out menu and a phone.

One of these days, inspired by you, I'll maybe post the story of my first sambhar.

kkrish, jskls, nandinimithun and 2 others like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

I am sorry about another interruption.

:roflmao:

They are married for a long time and I don't think her husband would make rookie mistakes.

Perhaps, she needs to become a believer of divine intervention to get such a Sambhar everyday.:p

Thyagarajan, Amica and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

That happens for me with chai... The best chai gets made when I am busy with other burners on the range. Maybe just gets heated longer between adding tea powder and milk.

Awww.. I recall @iyerviji's daal-less sambhar each time the daal is too boiled or under boiled and I feel like skipping daal in the sambhar that day.

Viwaa, O ye, of little faith in me having faith! : ) Actually, I did receive a few 'oh why not add vegetables earlier.." etc initially.. and funny thing is now I do follow his style most days with the InstantPot.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Rihana

Say it in Telugu or Tamil?
    LOL. : )

Hmmm... I don't know.. Wouldn't that be the name of the mousy, pale-faced, with inconvenient freckles, poor as a church-mouse cousin of the one with glamorous name wali heroine?

I am now fine with company in the kitchen, but, not if they try to come and use the other burner for their suddenly important cooking needs. :mad:

Oh I am sure you hurried cooking is also good.. I recall some pictures you posted!

shravs3 and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Rihana

True that. Happy mind and calm mind ... If there is something buzzing in the mind like an annoying remix version of old song that just won't go from the mind, then, even white rice cooking can get jinxed.

Didn't know that name!

Thank you, Vani. Yep, multitasking is what many women do when cooking. Some observation and discussion with friends has led me to conclude that men cannot or do not multitask if/when they cook.

girvani and Viswamitra like this.
  8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Ah! the satisfaction of a dish well turned out as expected! you have penned it beautifully:blush:
    I would say defnitely a happy frame of mind and the family / guests who are going to partake of the same, matters a lot in cooking to our satisfaction.
    I personally ensure the kitchen is uncluttered and get all the chopping, grinding etc done well before I start. A lot of
    pre cooking work like having ready home made tamarind pulp, ginger garlic paste etc takes the stress out of cooking for me. The latest now, with following OPOS methods of ramakrishnan's, cooking has actually become a breeze!

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

You are often in my thoughts when I cook since I consciously try to "time manage" and recall many posts from the thread. Thank you so much for the response.
    'Alabaster'!!!!! That was the word I was looking for. I googled "translucent synonym" and much more, but that word escaped me.

Gold leaf indeed. I should try chopping.. didn't think of that.

The mention of gold leaf gives me idea for another snippet "Indian women in the U.S. and their curry leave plants" .. the growing attempts, the $$ spent on protecting the plant, and the yelling at kids, husband if they pluck leaves before they should be plucked. Once a friend gave me her plant to babysit during her vacation, I was even more nervous than when I am in-charge of driving other people's kids around.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Rihana

My dear Viji, it is just so nice to read your response. Feels like when teacher gives student 10/10 in dictation test. : )

I recall I first started to read your posts after coming across a daal-less sambhar recipe. Yes, the cooking smell can tell how it will turn out. With experience we can even identify which vegetable didn't get fully cooked etc.

Viswamitra likes this.