Sambar

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Meenakshii, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

You said it.:smash2:

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

eh? Sambar is a fenugreeky, sour and spicy lentil soup. The spiciness comes from the peppers used in the (powder of the) concoction. All sambar powders use one of these types of dried red chili peppers: arbol, serrano, jalapeño or cayenne. The other major component of the sambar powder is coriander seeds. Chili pepper and coriander seed ratio is what makes a sambar hot or not. This ratio can vary from 1:1 (hot) to 1:2(not). The "other stuff" that goes into the sambar powder are lentils (dessicant + coagulant), black pepper, jeera, fenugreek seeds(aroma), Turmeric(colour, antifungal). The collective amount of the "other stuff" would end up equal to the amount of one of the two main ingredients.

When the red chili is used is of the kashmiri chili variety, the sambar powder can produce beautiful red coloured sambars (provided one is careful about how much tamarind one adds).
    I have found that it is entirely possible to skip the red hot chili in the sambar powder, and add a little bit more of the black pepper in the grind. This powder produces nice yellowish sambars -- Turmeric being the only serious colourant in the mix -- once again careful with the tamarind amount.

The ingredients are roasted (roast red chili separately) gently and ground to a very fine powder. I use a spice grinder attachment for the blender for this purpose.
    It is best to make small amounts (enough for a month sort of amount) and store it in a bottle with a tight lid.

Variations of this with added coconut powder, or dry garlic powder are possible. Sambar is an acquired taste, and many who had only seen that in southy restaurants when they order idli or dosa would wonder why the south indians make such a huge fuss over a watery sour dal dish?

I like the following video.... although I cannot follow all of what they are talking about, you can see the thing that they are doing, and understand how the sambar powder is made.

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Hehe! You are right. I like my sambar tangy. In fact, I like that "tangy" flavour very much. So, I overdose my sambar with tamarind extract.

Sambar is tricky to satisfy in a fussy family. In our family, I love okra in sambar. But the others .. radish is pungent, okra is gooey, drumstick is a floating cadaver, brinjal is lovely, brinjal is dull, brinjal is a curse, brinjal is fulfilling ..my mom goes ...how am I to make a sambar for such a family.

Nonya likes this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

If tadka is done first, and the cut vegetables saute'd in the tadka, it would take out some of the objections. For example, if okra is saute'd in the oil until the gooey strings stop stringing, it would taste a lot better in the sambar. Adding a finely diced shallot in the tadka before other vegetables go in to the saute can soften the radish's pungency as well. Floating cadaver? First time I heard this about murunga. you have an imaginative family.
    For those living in the west, and like something tangy, unripe apples are a good vegetables for making sambar. I have lived most of my life in apple growing climates. The backyard apple tree is totally organic - no treatment whatsoever. There is a competition between people and bugs to get to the ripe apples first. However, we can get at the apples before they become ripe. To prepare the apple for the sambar, one would core the apple (using an apple corer), peel off the skin and cut 1cm wide doughnut-like slices, and drop them into the tadka for saute'ing. Easy peezy.

Sambar making sequence: 1. tadka 2. saute vegie's in tadka 3. add salt, sambar powder saute 4. add tamarind water + med/heat boil, then simmer 5. add cooked-dal, and more salt if needed, then simmer 6. add cut cilantro (if needed) 7. rest the sambar a bit.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Naari likes this.
  5. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Jskls had given a perfect recipe link. Worked for me every single time. There are many variations for Sambar. After trying the basic version, you can try North Kerala style varutharacha Sambar and Tamil style Araichuvitta Sambar. Really flavorful...Google for the recipes.

Also I found that the roasted chanadal powder in the masala gives a real good flavour and aroma to the sambar. For the first time,just follow the recipes perfectly. Then slowly you can make your own variations. Happy cooking :)

jskls likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

OP you can avoid coconuts if u are allergic to it. Also I use 1/4 rice cup of thuvar dal per serving of Sambar. I like the 24 Mantra Organic Sambar powder which is available in Indian stores. Smells too fresh and better than MTR ones.

Update what worked for you. Small pearl onions drumstick brinjal ash gourd pumpkin okra are some good veggies that enhances flavor

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

This is the problem with my family. I would never allow to saute and add vegetables. Straight boil and add. Sibling likes saute and add. Er, in the same sambar, I never feel the okra is gooey but sibling always cribs about the okra. I say, no okra my way, no sambar. We are all fussy eaters (at home). But we stay united in hating broccoli.

In general, I am conscious of standard and popular recipes. Though I follow a recipe exactly , I am dissatisfied with the taste. I think, I have botched up. But, no. The dish matches the recipe just that I don't favour the taste released from the recipe. When one says, I followed a recipe but it turned bad, I ask, may be it turned fine and you didn't like the taste of that fineness. I am only expressing my personal experience. During cooking, one must first be acquainted with one's preferential taste and then adapt the recipe to it. I liked the way you spotted that I added more tamarind. For any dish one must find out how one wants to eat it and tinker with the recipe.

You have seen me here. Picture four of me sitting at the dinner table and reviewing, criticising, nodding and shrugging while eating. My family is big on food and appetite. If all of us were here, this Sambar thread will run into pages and evolve into Rasam thread. Drumstick is the pet peeve. Fiery and unforgiving analysis goes into its shape and slippery fibre. I would be bludgeoned by a murunga afficionado if I utter anything more about it, avast.

8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Errrr, ahem.:lol:

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dude, Nonya is priming me on what it means to have a MIL.
    I am poised now to be an intrepid sambar-cooking DIL.

MIL: Did you add tamarind and okra?
    Ira: Yes, mummyji! you like it?
    MIL: This tastes awful!
    Ira: You want creme fraiche?
    MIL: Creme?
    Ira: Or beetroot?
    MIL: Beetroot?
    Ira: Or cinnamon or cashew or pineapple?
    MIL: How am I to know how sambar is made at your place with cream or beetroot or cinnamon or pineapple.

With that shock mummuji won't say a word ever about my tangy sambar.

10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

:roflmao:sure thing