1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sai Baba Serial Makes Me Ask Is New Better Or Do We Complicate Life

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by ChennaiExpress, Mar 5, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Only serial I will watch is Sai Baba.

Not necessarily a devotee, but the depiction of people overcome hardships, how families stick together and turn to God for help is quite refreshing.

As for families we really cannot say. Sure Sai Baba depicts most households in positive light (except for corrupt King of Shirdi who abuses his young wife and child)

The cinematography is quite a painting inspiration. The natural earthen color of the homes, lovingly decorated with rangoli is a painter's dream.

There is beauty in the simplicity of Sai Baba's home.,He lives in ruins, yet the community spruced it up by beautiful, decorative rangoli surrounding doorways.

In those days did people have the diseases we have now? People cultivated their own foods, make their own snacks (rather than opting for artificial packaged fare). Bet there was lot of natural healing from plants in our woods and forests.

And how long did people live? What was the quality of their years towards end-of-life?

Is new really better?
    Is old really gold?
    Or is the grass simply greener on the other side?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CE, Sai Baba lived in the 1800s. His date of birth is unknown but working with the century alone, life in India has improved by leaps and bounds. Wholesome images of loving families and bucolic bliss shown in Indian movies and serials are fantasies. Life was simpler for sure, but it was also very tough. It is possible that those people experienced the same amount of net happiness as we do but that's because it was the only world they knew. They seem content because there wasn't much to be had. You can't miss what doesn't exist. Most of us with our ultra-comfortable lives wouldn't make it half a day in that world.

People in 18th-19th century India had a life expectancy between 30-40 years. The same diseases that torment us today existed then, except they didn't have painkillers and antibiotics. In fact we have eradicated or found cures for the worst diseases of that era like tuberculosis, small pox, cholera and polio. Yes, we've gained a couple of lifestyle diseases but they certainly didn't have it better. People died of everyday colds and infections. Imagine having an impacted tooth, being in excruciating pain for weeks and months, and eventually dying of septic shock. The kind of infection that can be treated with 3 days of antibiotics in our world. They were certainly not curing cancer with herbs and spices. People did cultivate their own food and more often than not, they didn't have much to eat. Thanks to British policies India suffered multiple famines in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. Nearly 60 million Indians died of starvation during those centuries. During Sai Baba's time 90% of India was rural. If you want to understand the life of an Indian farmer pre-independence, you should read stories like Godaan by Munshi Premchand and watch movies like Mother India. Life consisted of unrelenting struggle and hardship--back breaking work, waiting for rains that failed often, generations indebted to greedy money-lenders. Women had it far worse than men. Early marriages, multiple unsafe pregnancies, high risk of death during childbirth, and almost no say in their own fate. God forbid if you were widowed you became a liability, lost all agency and became subject to the mercies of the men around you.

As bad as it might seem, when compared to the rest of human history, we live in the best of times. This, now, is the most progressive period we have ever known, in terms of healthcare, nutrition, poverty eradication, education, equality, peace and progress. There is a lot still to be done but we have come very far. I would recommend you read Steven Pinker's new book, Enlightenment Now. He makes a very good case for optimism and holding out hope for humanity's future.

As to happiness, it is not about this world or that, it is a choice. CE, you are an introspective person, but thinking too much takes away time from living. Make your paintings, write your poetry, and make peace with your past. If the grass looks greener on the other side, stop looking, and start watering the grass under your own feet.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow, that's a good point

Dear God!

My Dad suffered a tooth infection which caused hives on his body several months back. Took antibiotics for few days and that nonsense was gone!

I guess I didn't see it that way.

Oh yeah, I saw Mother India a while back. I guess this was more common in those days.

Good thing women have more safeguards today. Now they have to protect against men who are after their money

Perhaps we have left Kali Yuga, are in Dwarapa Yuga, acending towards Treta Yuga

After all, civilization is cyclical

That's true.

Meera Bai was happy in middle-ages even though her in-laws tried to kill her several times.

Yes, I shall water and let things bloom

[​IMG]

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. kavinaya

kavinaya New IL'ite

Very thoughtful reply. I especially liked the above!

Gauri03 likes this.