1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Request to provide any suggestion or advise in convincing my parents.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by vaniraj, Jul 31, 2013.

1. vaniraj

vaniraj New IL'ite

Hi,

I am working in a MNC at bangalore and I am in love with one girl who belongs to brahmin caste and i belong to lingayat caste. we have been in love from past 1 year and very much deeply involved in it. in my heart i have already made her as my soul mate

The issue is that her parents have agreed to marry her to me but my parents are highly opposing her to marry with me. They are not even ready to listen me and emotionally are pressurizing me. i cant live without her and as well as my parents.

So request you people to suggest and provide me guidance on how should i convince my parents.

Hope to get a suggestion from you

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Talk to your parents as to why they are not accepting.Once you know their point of view you will be able to provide better solution.You need to be strong and tell your parents that either you will marry the girl you love or remain unmarried no matter what.

3. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

Were you not aware that your family might not approve or accept her as your future wife while you were getting to know your girlfriend?

Balancing on a high wire doesn't come easy to most of us, and avoiding getting hurt is practically impossible.

You could either please your family or you could please yourself.
    It's decision time - decide who's more important to you and once you've reached a decision, stick to it....like a mature adult.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Love does not happen as per our family's tradition and expectations. The inter-religious/inter-caste marriages won't come to real if the couple's have thought about their parent's and society's approval prior to losing their heart.

If you are so calculative about choosing a person in a love marriage, then that is simply not called as love. So, I understand your blindness in this love, despite of knowing what yours and hers family would expect. Well, I too had a similar marriage - It was inter-religious one.

Only one thing, as an adult you need to check here.

Your parents would remain as your parents no matter what, but once married to someone else, your girl friend would become someone else's wife; hence she can not be seen as your girl friend anymore. The same applies to you as well.

Your angered parents of today might change their minds in the coming days, and so either approve your marriage or reconcile with you after your marriage. Who knows? But no one can change the fact that you are their son.

So losing parents is not something permanent. A loving parent can not remain silent and hurt their own child for too long. If they hurt you so, then they can't be called loving parents, but just egoistic souls. Giving birth alone can not make one as a parent.

In a love marriage like this, it is more than sure that one party is hurt. You need to decide who should be that.

In our marriage both parents were damn against our love affair. Then somehow both agreed with resentments. We basically started our new life in abroad, mainly to avoid our parent's and society's long faces for 2 years.

When we were back, and started a life of our own, my side of the people eventually reconciled. They came forward to help me when I was pregnant. They were with me when I was in extreme need of help. After that, we became normal by forgetting the past resentments. For me, that's called love of blood relatives.

However, my husband's family did not turn good even after several attempts of ours. They always hurt my husband, and expected him to compensate their hurt feeling by expensive gifts and money. Till date they are angry, and they will be happy to see us separated, or childless.
    They are egoistic, and they wanted to prove to the entire world that they were right by disapproving our love affair...

Any of our success makes them feel inferior in front of the society as they strongly believed that inter-religious marriages only make one fail in life. So they always wish us failure to please their hurt ego. I would say, they are not worth to lose your life and happiness.

You make the right choice, as you only know who are your parents.

5. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Swimming again tides is going to be difficult.
    You have two options.

Go against parent .Marry her.Take your parents wrath.You know your parents well.To what extreme they can go?Are they going to cut relationship with you permanently? Are they going to harass DIL rest of their life?Only you know what extrem they can go to make life difficult for both of you.If they are not extreme type people marry her and protect her from them mas much as possible.

Second option let her go... marry the guy who can give her peaceful happy married life.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Dear op.....you know your parents best. How will they treat your gf once she becomes your wife? Will you be able to stand by your gf? Will you be able to take your parents wrath and disappointment ? Will you expect your wife to stay with your parents?

Marry the girl only if you can stand by her no matter what ...else don't spoil her life by bringing her into a hostile family.

7. abhi09

abhi09 Senior IL'ite

You are an adult and you have to make the decision.One of them is going to get hurt and it is inevitable.
    If your love is true then don't ditch her but see to that she is not tortured late after marriage.Most parents will eventually come around.My cousin went and married a brahmin against everyone's wishes.It was a big filmy story with police being involved and all.and now they have one kid and everyone loves the kid like anything and everyone is ok.
    I dunno when people will start looking at human beings as a person and grow beyond things like caste creed religion.