Renal Pelvic Dialation?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cutekid, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Has anybody encountered this problem,I was told during my 21 week detailed scan that the Pelvis of baby is 5mm & the normal is 4mm or less.They have asked me to check at 32weeks again.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Is this the dilation of the renal pelvic? Is it unilateral or bilateral?

My son was diagnosed with renal pelvic dilation on the left kidney at 20 weeks u/s. At 32 week u/s it was 14 mm and at birth it was also 14mm, normal is 4mm. He was on low dose antibiotics to prevent kidney infections for 6 months.

since then he's had ultrasounds every 6 months or so to check the length and like most kids he's grown out of it. At 15 months it was down to 6mm and we are hoping at the next checkup it will be back to 4mm.

I was told only if over 20mm was surgery required. My friend's son had surgery at 2 months as his was 24mm. Anything under 15mm they just monitor and wait for the kid to grow out of it.

I would say don't worry too much about it. here is a good link but don't take it seriously .. most (99%) of kids just grow out of it.

Hydronephrosis - My Child Has - Children's Hospital Boston

3. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi pmahensa,

Its bilateral,its in left kidney.One kidney is 4mm & other is 5 mm.But it wont affect the baby's mental growth right.As it is said to be a soft marker for Down's.

Was so happy to see the baby doing well during the scan until dr. mentioned about this.

Hope it gets fine till 32 weeks.
    Thanks for the first hand information.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

do not worry yourself unneccesarily. it is a soft marker for DS, not an indicator and has nothing to do with mental development. 99% of kids just grow out of it by age 2. I am sure in our parents' generation doctors were not even aware of this condition!

at the most if at 32 weeks there is still some dilation, they will do an u/s at birth and then keep the kid on preventative anti-biotics until the first u/s at 6 months. and continue with u/s until about 2 years of age.

don't worry the kid will be fine! my best friend's son had it really bad - his was 24mm at birth in both kidneys and at 2 months of age he had an operation to reduce the length. he's now 7 years of age and doing fine.

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Dear pmahensa,

Thank you so much.I really appreciate your quick reply.Thanks you once again.