1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Religion and Spiritualism- Lord Krishna broke His promise

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jan 4, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Lord Krishna broke His promise​

Lord Krishna’s mission as Pandava’s emissary failed as Duryodhana did not want to part even an inch of land, not even a needle point of it. Thus war has become inevitable.

Before the commencement of war, both Duryodhana and Arjuna went to seek Lord Krishna’s help. Duryodhana reached the palace first and as Krishna was sleeping, he seated himself on a decorated throne chair at the head of the bed. Arjuna reached a little later and he kept standing at the foot of the bed with folded hands.

When Krishna woke up, his eyes first fell on Arjuna and he gave him a warm welcome. Then he turned to Duryodhana and welcomed him also. Then he asked what brought them both to Dwaraka.

Duryodhana was the first to speak and he said that war would break out soon and he wanted to seek his help. He further told that he knew Lord Krishna loved both Kauravas and Pandavas equally, but he was the one who came first to seek his help.

Lord Krishna said, “You might have come first. But I saw Arjuna first and further he is younger to you. Hence I would first give chance to Arjuna. The Narayanas, my tribesmen who are in large numbers, are very gallant and brave men and I am willing to give them all to one side and I alone will be with the other side and I shall wield no weapon and take no part in the actual fighting.”

Then turning to Arjuna he said, “Partha! You think it over and decide whether you want me on the said condition or you will prefer to have my army.”

Arjuna promptly said, “I will be glad to have you on our side even if you wield no weapon.”

Duryodhana was jubilant to hear these words from Arjuna. He thought it was futile to have Krishna on his side with the conditions he had quoted and also he felt that always he had a soft corner for Pandavas. Thus the matter was settled.

Dhrishtadyumna was chosen as commander in chief by Pandavas and Bhishma was chosen as commander in chief by kauravas.The war had started in full swing. On the first day of the battle Pandava’s army was badly shaken for Bhishma attacked it like whirlwind. There were more casualities on Pandava’s side on the first day. In the evening both sides returned to their places.

At night Yudhishtira was worried and he went to see Vasudeva. He told him that he had committed a great blunder without thinking. He said that they could not fight and win the battle when a great warrior like Bhishma was leading the Kauravas. He further said that he would rather prefer to go to the forest and do tapasya than seeing his friends and relatives killed in the battle. He requested Krishna to think it over and tell him what would be good for him. Arjuna sought Krishna’s advice at the start of the war and it was now Yudhishtira’s turn.

Krishna told him that he should not lose heart as he had brave brothers like Bhima and Arjuna and also great men like Virata and Drupatha and many other valiant kings on his side to fight for him.

On the second day Pandava’s army was in upbeat mood. Kauravas were in the mood like that of Pandavas on the previous day. Hence the Kaurava side had more casualties. Duryodhana was very much upset and he was thinking that he had committed a blunder by choosing Bhishma to head the army. He went to Bhishma’s place and told him that he was having a soft corner for Pandavas and so he was not attacking their army. If he had chosen Karna as his commander in chief, he would not have let him down.

Bhishma got upset and he told that he was fighting with full vigour, but as Krishna was on Pandavas’ side they had the upperhand. Duryodana told him that as Krishna had vowed not to wield any weapon it should not be a problem for him to tackle the enemies.

Bhishma told him that the next day he would fight ferociously and create havoc on the enemy’s side and that would make Krishna to break his promise and take up his chakrayutha. Thus the Pandavas' side would be humiliated.

The following day Bhishma was in a ferocious mood and was fighting with full steam and created mayhem in Pandavas’ army.. Krishna saw this and he drove the chariot towards him, and told Arjuna to attack Bhishma. Arjuna was fighting half heartedly as he had great regard and respect for Bhishma, his grandfather.

Krishna got angry and he said, “ Arjuna, I can stand this no longer. I shall kill Bhishma mysef if you will not do it.”

So saying he got down from the chariot leaving Arjuna and he ran towards Bhishma holding His discus. Arjuna was distressed to see this and he also jumped down and ran behind Krishna.

In the mean while Bhishma saw Krishna running towards him with discus in his hand and he bowed and said that it would be really a boon to him if he was killed by Krishna.

Arjuna ran forward and he caught hold of Krishna’s feet. He said, “Please remember your words. You had promised that you won’t wield a weapon or fight. Now if you break your promise the world will call you a liar. You please come back and I promise that I will kill all the enemies.”

Krishna told him that he only acted as if he was going to kill Bhishma in order to make Arjuna take the fight seriously.

Further he said, “Yesterday when Duryodhana was confronting Pithamaha saying that he had a soft corner towards Pandavas and that’s why he was slack in the battle field, he made a vow that he would make me take up my discus to kill him. Hence I did not want to let down my true devotee. I would rather prefer to break my promise and get my name tarnished than letting my true devotee’s vow not fulfilled.”

Thus Lord Krishna chose to break his promise than to let down his devotee. This shows Lord Krishna’s overwhelming grace, boundless benevolence and kindheartedness towards his true devotee.

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

A moving post Madam. Thanks. But please clarify this - Did Krishna not use his weapon again in hiding the sun, in order to kill Jayathradha later? -rgs

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

What a great lesson to learn. God never give up on true devotees. Nowadays, it is hard to find true devotees of God. I think when prayers are done with total devotion, the God becomes so pleased and is willing to be a servant of a true devotee. Regarding promise, I think Lord Krishna still kept his promise by not exercising His weapon and still did not take part in the actual fighting.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear rgs,
    Krishna had used the weapon not on anyone, but to hide the Sun. On the previous day Abhimanyu was killed in the battle unethically. Acharya Drona had told Karna to go and attack him from the back as he was wearing an armor and was covered fully in the front. Drona, Karna and four others attacked him when he was defending himself alone without any weapons. Jayathradha didn't allow anyone from Pandava sena to help and save Abhimanyu from the onslaught of so many people. When the enemies are not observing the war code, the other side also has to follow suit.

"All is fair in love and war," implies that people can suspend the law or the rules in special circumstances.

Hope that I have cleared your doubt.
    Love,
    PS

QUOTE=rgsrinivasan;bt75588]A moving post Madam. Thanks. But please clarify this - Did Krishna not use his weapon again in hiding the sun, in order to kill Jayathradha later? -rgs[/QUOTE]

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your response madam. Perhaps both epics did not hide truths, however bitter they are. Such is their greatness. Mahabharatha is even more complex, as all great warriors from both sides have been killed / won over in an ugly fashion. Abhimanyu, Bheeshma, Drona, Karna, Duryodhana and Dhrushtathyumna to name a few. -rgs

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viswamitra,
    God will never forsake His true devotee. Yes, He is willing to be a servant. He has don the cap of charioteer to Arjuna shows His humility. He fed the horses and took care of them when they got tired.

Quote: Viswamitra;bt75604]What a great lesson to learn. God never give up on true devotees. Nowadays, it is hard to find true devotees of God. I think when prayers are done with total devotion, the God becomes so pleased and is willing to be a servant of a true devotee.

You are right regarding Lord Krishna's promise. He did not use weapon to fight and he did not take part in actual fighting.

Regarding promise, I think Lord Krishna still kept his promise by not exercising His weapon and still did not take part in the actual fighting.[/QUOTE]

Love,
    PS

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai ma,
    what a lovely and lively blog of yours. My bestowed new year and pongal wishes to you ma. True Devotional prayers will be answered in a wise and correct way To my knowledge also Lord Krishna did not use any weapon.When PithamagarBheeshmar was in arrow bed Lord Krishna said My duty in the world is to Save the true devotee, bad person on the earth, Whether the human believes me or not also i have to take care of them in a well manner. I took care of you well Pithamagar who was away from family way from the early stage and maintained the Brahmachariyam well It is my utmost bounding duty to take care of you well
    Tks for sharing ma.I felt i was hearing this from my ma

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sreemathi,
    Thank you for your appreciation and your mother's blessings will be always with you!
    Love,
    PS