1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

The first word forty years after Columbus? That too a biological name and not a 'real' word? No wonder the Puritans took more than a hundred years to find their way to New England. Lazy dogs. The guaiacum probably floated over by itself.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Hehe! Possibly! Back then, there was no Great Pacific Garbage Patch to hinder one brave log's dream to cross the Atlantic. Fievel Mousekewitz confiscated a bottle to cross, our Larry Guaiacum just availed his buoyancy skills.

That's the way it crumbles, log-wise!

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

-- removed --

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nonya sums up the Relationship forum in a few sentences. :cool:

BhumiBabe and Nonya like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

:D ....can't be done, because, there is more.
    The first of the four noble truths of Buddhism is that "all life is suffering, pain, and misery." And this makes every DIL who is having a peaceful life with a loving DH, good health, kid(s) and no MIL anywhere near the homestead etc.. wonder whether she is having any kind of life at all. :smilingimp:

6. Rihana

SGBV, at the risk of sounding obtuse, I have to say, I still don't get it. Why so much thinking. As it is, applying for a job, updating resume, going through the interview(s), waiting for the decision, negotiating the offer, giving notice at current job, joining the new job, settling down at new job... is quite a big task. More so, when kids are young.

Why add to that with this pointless brooding on 'what if they reject', and on the hopes "shattered..", what if's etc etc? Why make it "beyond that"? Why not make it "applying for a job where one happens to have mixed history?"

If getting rejected does not reflect badly on you professionally, if no record gets maintained of "applied for job and was rejected", then, why let it bother you so much? Yes, there will be mixed feelings and a different kind of trepidation when applying for job at old place, but, your what-if's and related pondering is going to the point of having a negative impact on how you sound in phone conversations, emails and ultimately in the in-person interview.

As the number of years you've worked increases, a little detachment and increasing thickness of skin is worth cultivating.

Posting here so as to not hijack that thread.

7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Everyone who had been waiting for the phonecall (after what seemed like a good first date, or a girl-dekko) had gone on to feel this way.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

First of all, I am so sorry @Rihana for being unclear in my posts.
    Blame my English. It is still my 3rd or 4th language only. Looks like my vocabulary doesn't improve at all...

Let me try one more time....

For working people (be it a male or female), their office becomes their second home. Over the time, they would start developing an attachment towards their work/office and their colleagues eventually become their friends/family.
    This happens when your office treat you back with respectfully.
    Of course the lump sum pay is another reason. Particularly, happiness is when you are paid in dollars, appreciated by the big bosses for your achievements and recognized before the world for following your passion!!!
    This doesn't happen to all. I was lucky enough to enjoy my passion - which happened to be my task at work. Thus I was able to perform it beyond my ToR; thus all the adornment all these while.
    In those 6+ years, I never had hard feelings or disappointment at my work place except those last few weeks before my resignation. Even though I've been posted at different cities/countries under different bosses of the same organization, the feelings were similar.

I've worked for other organizations too. Apart from the salary pack, I felt no attachment towards the work with them.
    They just remain professional tasks, and nothing beyond.

Eg: Cricket or acting is yet another career. These stars are professionals like us, and they are paid for their work. But some of them are very passionate about their work. That's shows in the way they perform. That's behind their success.
    That's what they become emotional when they have to leave/move.

Like this, this particular office and the post is beyond a regular job for me. it is beyond updating the resume and applying.

To answer your questions.... I am already in a good post, and I have a great potential to grow in my career ladder down the line.
    So, getting rejected from this office is not gonna make any difference to my present career path.
    But not being able to follow my passion at my most fav place will definitely disturb me.
    That's what my mind is thinking so much about this.

What you've suggested above applies to any general "job seeking" scenarios. \
    In fact, I've been in such job hunts over the past few months; thus gone through all these procedures too.
    Never once I've felt attached or detached with any of them.
    Their YES and NO didn't make much difference, since I have always been confident about myself; thus knew I would secure some or the other job as I applied.

But this one is different :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

That made me smile, as I recalled the advice on how girls should gain a lot during pregnancy, as well as keep their prepartum weight gain as a defensive measure against just such sleep deprivation problems.

yellowmango likes this.
  10. Rihana

Timepass question. Let's say one's son or daughter marries a person from a family that is much much richer. Like, a totally different stratum of society. How does life change for the parents? Is it awkward to interact with the parents of your DIL or Son-in-law? Or, if the meetings are rare enough, then, it is not as stressful?

Note: it is not poor or very poor marrying well-to-do. It is upper middle class marrying the very stinking rich.

Will grandkids compare the gifts the two sets of grandparents give them? :worried:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.