1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

About the bathroom floor - what I have seen in most houses and apartments in India is the bathroom has a western style toilet (commode), a sink (wash basin), and in the shower area there is a shower mounted on the wall, and a hot water/cold water tap (faucets).

The above are all fine and dandy. The devil is in the shower area details. In bathrooms in the west, the shower area is contained - water does not go outside the shower area. The floor area around the toilet (commode) and the sink is meant to be always dry. The shower is enclosed by three walls and a 6 foot tall shower door. Or, if it is a bath tub, then, a shower curtain or glass door atop the tub.

What I have seen in my limited experience with bathrooms in houses and apartments in India is that when a person takes a shower, pretty much the entire bathroom floor gets wet. Sometimes there is a shower curtain, but the shower area floor and rest of bathroom floor are not demarcated by a physical separation of significant height.

Each time the shower is used, the bathroom floor around the wash basin and the commode takes a while to dry up. Dashed inconvenient. Though still not reason for guests to whine about it.

In hotels in India, I've seen western style glass door around the shower. Or a bathtub, with shower curtain.

So, to wrap up this story about bathrooms, if taking a shower means pretty much the entire bathroom floor gets wet, it can drive some people nuts.

Me - I am more a bucket and chambu (mug) gal when I am in India. :) After the time when mid-shower the water simply stopped coming, and better-half was deep in jet-lag induced slumber, and no one heard my pleas for help from the bathroom.

SGBV, BhumiBabe, Amica and 2 others like this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

This story is like the first episode of a serial. I bet more people would be curious as to how you got help to escape that predicament.

SGBV likes this.
  3. Rihana

Nonya dear, you asking nosy nosy questions! Is that a Malay trait also? Not just Indian?

To answer your question: I don't recall how that ended. Some parts of India trip are like giving birth. We forget the pain so children can have siblings. : ) I did start a thread though: India Trips - Most Favorite/ Least Favorite Parts

ashima10, SGBV and Nonya like this.
  4. Rihana

Quoting the quotable.

5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Fantastic analysis. I thought I was the only one who noticed. You and I both have missed our calling as Anthropologists.

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

I skipped my weekend quota of coffee this weekend. Not sure if the above is sarcasm. Will click Like if and when the penny drops.

7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Haha! I should have worded it better. No sarcasm in my post whatsoever.

I was very happy that somebody else had noticed this difference and thought it important enough to write about.

Having said that, I actually prefer the Indian bathrooms. No partitions impart a sense of space and openness. I like making my bathroom all wet when I shower. It's India, nice and dry and hot. The bathroom dries up in no time and everything gets a wash.

Things are too compartmentalised in the West.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

OK, so I just have to ask this question.. for opinion from strangers on the internet.. not that it is deep or bothering me, but still... let's say just so I can get on with the Sunday.

Situation: Years ago one lent money to a person in India. College classmate. It was another century, all were much younger. The USD was around Rs. 45. The return agreement was hazy, and both parties were fine by it. Around $1500. "Thank you so much for the timely help. I will return it when things are better", was the message when the money got delivered to person in India. Neither party thought the money will be returned.

Time flies. Some contact is lost, as happens. Then, FB and whatsapp happen. : ) All classmates get in touch again. All are also much older and as we are wont to, all get emotional about the college years. Reunions take place -- in India, on campus, in U.S. The person makes some business trips to U.S. too, and seems to be leading a comfortable life with good salary and perks.

Almost done... : ) If the giver and the recipient meet face to face, more than once, should the recipient offer to pay back the old amount? In other words, if at the time the money was given, there was a sky/earth disparity in income levels, but now there the levels are comparable, then should the recipient bring up the topic and offer to pay it back? Like, when the giver is going around with the (erstwhile) recipient (ER) in an upscale mall in the U.S. and the ER is picking up stuff without looking at price-tag?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. Rihana

"dries up in no time"? Ha. When four people are sharing one bathroom (attached, thank you), and the entire kutumb (three generations) is getting ready to go somewhere, there is no time for "no time". The mind still shudders at the memory of cajoling the kid to go into the wet bathroom and go potty. Kid says no. Then, lift kid putting arms under his armpits, and perform the coronation (place on throne), so he does not have to step on the wet floor. Then, when he is done with his 'reign', go get him. Rinse (literally!), repeat with next kid. : ) : ) : )

And of course, helpful host will come by and witness the proceedings, and one more point gets added to 'fussy NRI kids'.

Hmm.. I have my quibbles with the western bathrooms, but it is not the compartmentalisation. It is the fact that not all bathrooms will have windows, and not all bathroom windows are very open-able. No exhaust fan can make up for a window.

BhumiBabe and Umanga like this.
  10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Oh absolutely. The one thing I love about India is the windows and the openness. We have so many large, open windows, high ceilings, floor to ceiling windows, the walls are all white making it nice and bright and none of those wretched carpets. I love our cool marble floors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.