1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Jun 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

yep, that's the reality.

2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Except for Lake Wobegon, "where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.":lol:

greenchilli, Laks09, poovai and 3 others like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

No matter what. We'd have to send them out into the world with " Be well, do good work, and keep in touch"
    (Garrison Keillor, Writer's Almanac)

5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

My 'baby' is already making a mark in his field! He is an extraordinary young man;

As he wished, living 4-states away from me! I only see him once or twice a year....I cut him loose long time ago!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

In the USA, it is not so bad as it could be in India. In India, the competition for opportunities to make a living, and survive, is quite fierce.
    There are many old'ish men, 40+, living at "home" either with parent(s) or siblings. Some of them have never had a wage-earning job. And many of these have college degrees, and additional diplomas in vocational training as well. Each year they delay getting into some job/career track, becomes a heavier burden. New, more energetic younger people come in to compete, and many jobs have upper age-limits for entry. A double whammy.

One oldish distant relative, rather a nice looking fellow, but as they describe, "somewhat soft in the head", lives with his younger brother, SIL and their 3 teen+ age kids. He has been to school and got through +2, just barely. Lots of gopher'ing chores are given to that live-in-guest. Includes going out with girl-child anytime she wants, Tiffin carriers to school and back during lunch time, shopping trips to all the various "mandi"s (lady of the home phones in the order, and Man Friday goes and fetches them)... etc..etc.. He wears older hand-me-downs from brother. All-in-all a low maintenance help.

As days go into weeks, then on to months and years, I am sure the brother and his wife must have talked about the higher level needs for affections for the one who is a weebit soft in the head. But then, the cost of foisting such an experience (responsibility ?)on a person who is developmentally behind the norm, might shut down such thoughts. The "uncle" is one more soul, the couple need to remember to establish guardianship for in their will.

greenchilli and poovai like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Which is what probably made the most impact.
    Kids going to work for non profits and doing God's work = wonderful.
    Said kid living off me = No Thank You.

Toning down expectations seems like a good idea, especially for second gens.

sindmani and poovai like this.
  8. greenchilli

greenchilli Bronze IL'ite

Yep.Thats the reality in India.seen it with both men and women.

Nonya likes this.
  9. greenchilli

True .
    When u have a conversation with parents i feel the pov of parents about their kids abilities is highly over rated.each kid has their own set of limitations.
    Parents doesn't understand their limitations.
    Sometimes it infrutiates me to the core.i surely feel sorry for the kid.

10. greenchilli

Having a partner doesn't mean she has to be married and do all the house work.she can outsourse house work if she has a well paying job or she must have to learn to do it herself.
    Ya ,my daughter likes pink more.its her judgement on colour.but we have teached her to say NO and be tough when she has to.
    That is most important.
    I have learnt to say NO after all these years.iam starting early for my Daughter.

suasin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.