Regarding Autism

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by revathiv, Jan 26, 2017.

1. revathiv

revathiv Junior IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm mother of 2 kids. My second kid is turning 2 by this month end but yet he haven't spoken single word.. he just says letters baa baa , laa laa or dah dah.we took to doctor when he was 18 months..He suspected that he may be in autism spectrum and consulted to do early intervention.. currently V r doing ABA but yet it's not confirmed 100 % whether he is having autism .. but I do have some doubts.

1 Whether autistic kid shows possessiveness towards her sister.. whenever V hold his sister he tries to push her away from me..

2 He becomes happy seeing his daddy coming to home from office..

3 He loves cuddling..

4 He points at water or biscuits if he needs it..

I'm so confused..

Thanks ,
    Revathi.

2. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Kids with autism cuddle, show love to their parents.
    Since he is getting services, its good

sindmani likes this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Maybe he is a late in speaking. It doesn't seem like autism from what you have described. Does he maintain eye contact, does he line up things like car, trains, etc, is he sensitive to sudden sounds like pressure cooker whistle or plane noise, does he get upset with out of routine activities, does he bang his head on the floor, etc. Look for more of these signs to determine he is autistic. Anyway, doctors are of course the best judge. Good luck.

sindmani, blindpup10 and anika987 like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry dear..

What you listed out does not look like autism.

My LO did not speak till three,lot of frustrations,no eye contact,tantrums and I put kiddo to all tests.
    I gave lot of exposure,going to India a lot for interaction with people,library,full time daycare for sometime,read lot of books and trust me around 3 years 8 months..like a dam which broke started talking non stop after that.also eye contact,no tantrums all is normal.

Docs these days just wanna be safe and want parents to test earlier.Go through all the tests,relax and pray god.

Some kids are a bit slow but they catch up.All will be fine.God bless.

sindmani and blindpup10 like this.
  5. prithnush

prithnush Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have a 9 year old boy (diagnosed with high functioning autism) and live in the US, Bay Area. He goes for regular classes and does not have any behavioral issues. But he is getting some help in school with Math and Language as he does have difficulties there. My main concern is his social skills. He does not have any friends (just one kid in school) and does not really get invited to birthday parties, play dates. I have tried initiating them with other parents but they do not reciprocate, probably because they consider him to be different. It really breaks my heart to see him like this. He is a very affectionate boy and is quite friendly but at the peer level, he struggles and gets anxious.

My husband still does not want to accept that he has problems and still talks about doing some pujas to help him. He keeps insisting that my son take some powder medicines (his mom sends from Chennai). Moreover, he is very much a borderline case with no obvious issues so my husband refuses to believe that he has a problem. He thinks that he is just shy and will improve with time.

I feel that therapy, social groups etc are the only things that will help him. I have tried to putting my son in team sports like soccer and cricket, but he has difficulties with the rules and loses interest. I put him in Karate but he struggled there and the teacher was not very co-operative.

I want to enroll him in summer camps or regular therapy sessions outside. There are so many organizations offering social skills classes, help with learning issues, etc. But I am so confused and don't know where to start. Last year, I started ABA therapy but it did not really help as most of the children were very severe and it was not a good fit for him. I was reading in the forums about so many clinics in India too - Dr. Oswal's G Therapy, Medha Mind Enhancement and I have also read about Dr. Shilpa Rao, XY Clinics and so many otheres. Here in the Bay Area, there are so many too - Developmental Pathways, Morrisey-Compton, Www.talkingplayhouse.com etc.

Sorry for such a long email, but I really need help and guidance from anyone who has gone through similar issues. I am looking for a place which will help him socially and also provide help with his learning disabilities. Please help!

Thanks.

sindmani, Sunshine04 and blindpup10 like this.
  6. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Hi @prithnush
    Sorry to hear that.

Try teaching him rules of team sports ahead of time at home with videos and books. Keep encouraging him to play. Also try individual sports like swimming, tennis etc for his physical fitness.

Try socialthinking.com and find any service providers near your home.

I will pray for the well being of your child.

sindmani likes this.
  7. prithnush

prithnush Senior IL'ite

Hi Thoughtful,

Thanks for replying. It helps to just talk about this. I have heard about socialthinking and will check them out. And thanks for your suggestions, I will try to follow them. And also individual sports is a good idea.

Thanks..

Sunshine04 likes this.
  8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Op, You and his doctors are the best one to judge your kids condition. My son was also slow to talk , shy and do things always by himself like playing and building with blocks all the time. So we used to inquire his daycare all the time about it.They all said he is fine. He started talking well (non-stop) after 4 years. One of my friend was concerned about their kid and went for speech therapy (in English),that helped them, but they found that their kid also started talking well by 4yrs. I dont know whether it has anything to do with our multilingual backgrounds

Encourage your kid to interact/play with other kids, slightly older than him. That may help. I feel that your son is doing well, anyway, keep watching.

Some recent technique to treat autism is mentioned here.
    Autism And Helminthic Therapy?

sindmani likes this.
  9. prithnush

prithnush Senior IL'ite

Thanks DDream! Will check out the therapy you have mentioned. Though I am doing whatever I can, it does get very difficult at times.

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

hi.you r doing a good job for ur kid.