Referring A Friend For A Job - Risks Involved

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Rihana, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If a friend is looking for a job, what things to watch out for when forwarding her resume?

Do you have any good/bad experiences about referring a friend? Are you selective about whom you refer, or you just forward the resume to HR and forget it?

I have one particular question - what if the friend is applying to many places. Your company brings her in for an interview, then second round also, decides to make an offer, and she declines as she has got an offer from another company. What then? She cannot be blamed as she took the first offer than came through. You end up looking bad, and any future referrals plus your general judgement are viewed doubtfully?

vaidehi71, sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.

2. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

I would say NO to refer a friend if she is going to work in the same team with you. I had a bad experience regarding this, I referred one of my friend (we all very good as family friends, used to enjoy get togethers and going on holidays) who got selected and started working with me in our team. How much ever we try the dynamics changes, it is really very hard to balance both the personal and professional relation. Some where the professional issues impacts the personal friendship too. Also the other political colleagues can try to spoil the relation between you and your friend.

It should be ok if she/he is going to work in a different team.

sindmani, vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I don't think it should be an issue. It is a business transaction. Look at it this way - the interview goes on well but in the end, someone else gets hired. Will the company care about you and your referral or what you would think? They hire the candidate they think will be best. Why should the rule be any different for the candidate?

That being said, it is professional courtesy to inform the company that she is greatful for the offer although will not be accepting and why.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Depends on the position. If it's in my group, I won't refer unless I know for a fact the friend is a good candidate for the position. He/she will be interviewed by my peers and my boss! Their interview performance will obviously reflect on my judgement. Outside my group, I do one of two things depending on my assessment of the person. If they are a good fit, I will email their resume straight to the hiring manager with a good word. If not, I will put it in the internal pipeline. My company offers a generous gift for every person who is recommended internally and hired. Both the person recommending and the hiree get a nice chunk of change. I forward the resumes of a lot of friends but I don't offer a personal endorsement unless I know they are a worthy candidate.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

That's what I'd prefer - work in a different team. For same team, I would refer only if the person is exceptional.

6. Rihana

The referred friend can give the usual answer and decline. Question is about the person who is referring. Like, imagine conversation after the friend declines. While discussing hiring processes, and figuring out who has time to spare to interview, a question can come up - hey what happened.. she was a good fit, but not serious.. we were not her first choice...' or something like that.

I am talking about places where time spent on hiring is very expensive in terms of man-hours, not the actual cost.

sindmani likes this.
  7. whistle

whistle Silver IL'ite

There should be no qualms for someone to refer someone else.

Its not your job to validate the credentials of your friend. Its not an expectation on the part of the HR that just because they offered a position, it should be taken. By referring, you are making your friends resume visible to the HR and the company visible to your friend. You are doing both of them a favor. You are not obligated for either party after that.

So, go forth and forward as many resumes to as many places as you can.

Jhansirao128 and Rihana like this.
  8. Rihana

That gives some middle ground - forward but skip the personal endorsement.

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I think referrals are perfectly okay.

Company is looking for people and your friend X is looking for jobs and you see there is match so you are just bringing them closer.
    If company does not hire her ( see her unfit) or friend does not take the job ( she sees job is not fit in for her for any ..any reasons), there is nothing you can do. It is not at all your fault. You are not bad at all.
    Btw, If you are talking about indian recruiters or you pulled some strings to get her job like talking to manager etc that is different.

Also, bringing her to same or different team. I do not have any personal experience But I also think different team will be best. But for me getting job to a friend would be more important, even it is meant same team.
    Btw, I have seen many many american people who brought in their friends ( or plain acquitances) to the same team (for referral money of course). Their relationship is all fine. Some I know were good friends before becoming co-workers and probably became chums after coming in same team, always seen together. Even though they were brought in at exact same role means competition when it come to performance. Probably for us, Indians it is little different.

Rihana likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

His/Her suitability for the position and culture of the company /team in general.
    I have in the past and my own job moves have been primarily because of internal referrals. They have worked out well so far.
    I am usually heavily invested in the process if its someone I know is the right fit for the position and I know them in a professional capacity (have worked with them in the past and know their strengths and weakness)
    If its a friend whom I know only socially I make sure the resume is sent to the right hiring manager and stop right there. I never endorse anyone I do not know in a professional capacity.
    Completely acceptable and nothing to be worried about. Most companies realize that when the candidate is good and on the look out they interview multiple companies at the same time . Its not uncommon to time such that offers come in at the same time. I have seen folks even use an offer from another company to negotiate a better deal.Very common in the industry. U want a good employee be ready to pay for it.
    I actually worry a lot more about the colleague than the company .
    I explain in detail all the risks involved to the extent allowed before signing NDA.

Rihana likes this.