1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ravana Is My Role Model!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 24, 2016.

1. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Aye, we follow your order.

First moustaches — okay, I’m slightly convinced that beards may play a role in defining a character but can they subtly distinguish between characters? Mind, a subtle touch and not a giveaway makeover.

Let’s look at the famed Thomson and Thompson, the fictional characters from The Adventures of Tintin. Hergé, and his brilliance, can be grasped in this diminutive visual distinction he makes between the bumbling characters. Thomson is depicted with a pointy upward moustache whereas Thompson is described with a silent 'P', as in psychology" or "Philadelphia", and with a flat moustache. Hergé could not have thrilled us with the same zoom-out-and-miss distinction colluding with beards.

Beards only give a distinguished look but fail to depict nuanced looks. Can you give similar nuanced pointy (upward) and flat beards to the detective duo in that cooperative terrain you are talking of. The titillation derived from hairy tickles is more prevalent in these sly depictions rather than your shoe-horned and unwieldy beards.

Thomson-Thompson.png

kaniths and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Tell me Cheeniya, you better tell me as this query has been bugging me since childhood. Every translation and revision of Ramayana glorifies the sprouting of coiled tail on which Hanuman sat and looked upon Ravana. And the scene ends. You see, it ends. But, what happened to that outgrowth ..later. The law of conversation of mass states that mass is neither created or destroyed. Like stowing of the video control during in-flight entertainment, the retractable tail should have a mechanism.

Could Hanuman have sucked the tail back in? Impossible! Too phenomenal for his stature.
    Did he shed his tail like a gecko? Questionable! No holy place in India has so far claimed a snapped relic.

Something must have happened to that tail ... but what? Where did it vanish after it served its purpose?

To avoid such conundrums surrounding shape-shifting tails, Hans Augusto Rey the author of Curious George series has portrayed a brown money in his popular children books without a tail. No tail, no claims! How's that to pacify curious children who are confounded by transmuting tails. In spite of that, you will find George mired in lore of myths, conspiracies and contentions all because of his missing tail. Either way (with an XXL tail or invisible tail) one is doomed.

CuriousGeorge.png

vaidehi71 likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Cimorene
    Your fondness of mustache is a bit obsessive! I concede that mustaches are essential for comic strip producers but in real life, mustache is not in great demand. Maybe it is a bit popular in South of the Vindhyas, but it does not enjoy much of a popularity elsewhere. North Indian matinee idols are mostly clean shaven and so are the Hollywood guys. They have the kind of macho image that does not require a mustache to enhance. Only South Indian stars desperately need a mustache for a macho image.

Beards on the other hand have a mystical quality. You don't dismiss a bearded man with 'Oh, another bearded man!' but start wondering what could be the story behind his beard. Has he suffered any calamity like 'love failure' for deciding to sport a beard? Or is he an art critic who dabbles in no art in particular? Questions come crowding into your mind! In short, beards arrest your attention completely.
    Sri

vaidehi71 and Cimorene like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@Cimorene
    We have a statue of Sir Thomas Munroe in a prominent square of Chennai. The statue showing Sir Munroe riding a horse has a peculiarity. It has neither a saddle nor the stirrups and has been a subject matter of great controversy ever since it was erected. There are even stories that when the statue was unveiled to public view, a teenager pointed out this anomaly and the sculptor who made it shot himself to death in shame. The story is not verified though. It is possible that the sculptor might have forgotten these essential details of a horse rider as he might have never ridden a horse!

Hans Augusto Rey may have made George without a tail forgetting that no monkey is complete without a tail. The two pictures that you have been kind enough to publish remind me of the error of Munro's sculptor. Francis Chantrey was the sculptor's name incidentally. Rey's monkey looks like a small boy in a fancy dress competition! Coming to the riddle of Hanuman's tail, I found there are several creatures in the world who have tongues twice the side of their body to catch their prey and once the hapless prey got stuck in the tongue, the creature retracted the
    tongue in a flash and appeared almost tongueless!
    [​IMG]
    If a tiny chameleon could to it, I am sure Hanuman was more resourceful in retracting his tail. I have seen some travellers carrying a portable chair of the size of a mobile phone while moving around and whenever they want to sit, they will unfold it and the chair would be big enough to accommodate the nutty Professor Clump played by Eddie Murphy! The long and short of it is that we must reconcile to the fact that Hanuman retracted his tail at will and did not jettison it as unwanted cargo!
    Sri

vaidehi71, kaniths and Cimorene like this.
  5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Is that a cue that we moved onto tongues?
    Humph! The tail was so short-lived more like a scut.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Cimorene
    As a kid, I was invariably asked by my grandma to taste the food first to make sure that every item was ok. My grandma used to say that I was a chap that had a tongue measuring 'naalu muzham', a Tamil word used in measurement of lengths. Naalu muzham is roughly equal to two yards or six feet. This expression is meant to refer to a person with a highly discerning taste! Apart from the tongue getting distinguished by high sensitivity of its taste buds, tongue means a lot of other things. People can be passionate about their Mother Tongue but they may set tongues wagging if they don't hold their tongue about other tongues!
    "There is nothing that so much gratifies an ill tongue as when it finds an angry heart." is a quote that I used to keep framed in my office apart from another one that said "If you have nothing to do, please don't do it here!'

Sri

iyerviji likes this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Hmm... Have we moved to 'Kumbakarnan' from Ravana already? Is that why the the thread is sleeping now? :D

8. Cheeniya

@kaniths
    Kumbakarnan is my primary Role Model. Ravana comes only second. I can sleep even standing!

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

The feeling is.... universal! :D Isn't the original purpose of our origin to eat, sleep and repeat? We evolved unnecessarily, brought noise into system. We lost tail, ever since we lost peace too!

Cimorene likes this.
  10. Cheeniya

@kaniths
    Talking of eating, you must read this poem:

It seemed like a good idea at the time,
    But looking back now I cringe just a little.
    I was so hungry and it WAS once mine,
    The week old milk and peanut butter brittle.

It wasn't just the smell,
    No it was something much worse,
    Yet I had nothing to rid me of this unquenchable thirst

The crust was thick and the color was off,
    The smell was foul and made me cough.
    Not before long the stench filled the air,
    What's that?
    Oh goodness, do I see a hair?

Now wait just a minute, this isn't fair,
    Oh please, I'm so hungry, what else is there?
    I looked in the pantry and I looked in fridge,
    I'll go to the store sooner or later.

The most horrible snack,
    When nothing to eat,
    I admit it, I did it,
    I ate the gross treat.

Courtesy: Family Friend Poems