Raghukalam and Yemagandam

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by AS1982, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AS1982

AS1982 Silver IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    Please tell me the fact and significance behind seeing Raghukalam and Yemagandam for doing certain things. My MIL doesn’t even take bath during those hours.
    I know that it is general practise that we don’t start from home or perform holy activities during that time. But does it really matter not taking bath during Raghukalam and Yemagandam?
    Regards,
    Asha S

2. anurar20

anurar20 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Asha,

Rahu kalam and Yamagandam are considered as inauspicious time. Bathing is consider as shudhi and auspicious may be because of this your MIL is not taking bath.

According to Vedic astrology, certain parts of the day, called Rahu Kalam, are inauspicious periods and one should not undertake any auspicious work during these periods – especially any new undertaking.

Rahukalam differs from place to place depending on Sun-rise & Sun-set time. The day duration from Sun-rise to Sun-set, at a particular location, is divided into eight equal parts. There is no Rahu Kalam during the first period of any weekday. On Monday it falls on the 2nd period, Saturday 3rd period, Friday 4th period, Wednesday 5th period, Thursday 6th period, Tuesday 7th period & Sunday 8th period.

The following are the details of the Rahukalam (also known as rahukal or rahu kal) periods in in operation during the various week days. This is based on 6:00 AM local Sun-rise time and 6:00PM local Sun-set time. If the Sun-rise and Sun-set times are different, you can take the Day duration, divide it in to 8 equal parts .

3. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Expect more inputs on this particular significance on the subject...
    Hope others would reply too :)

Regards