1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

R-Day Afterthoughts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Carrying gargantuan picnic hampers w e used to march towards the central vista in New Delhi to take our seats along Raj Path to watch the show unfold.. If you are lucky to have an uncle as a senior government official like me and my cousins did we got seats as close as possible to the Vijay Chowk, from where the Republic Day parade unfolds,

More than the parade itself, the glutton in me waited eagerly for the show to come to a close with the flypast. So that we can spread the dhurries on Central Vista lawns and tuck in the goodies we had bought. As the birds hovered overhead waiting patiently to pick up a few scraps.

But those days, of my childhood, alas are gone and lost for ever. First eatables were banned during parade because they invited birds and potential trouble for the planes participating in the flypast. Then as security paranoia grew over the years the viewers were prevented from bringing in almost anything, ,. You can forget the food.

Like the fun quotient, even the significance of the parade seems to be ebbing over the years. As cynicism ,mostly justified because of th widespread corruption and maladministration spreads, all that rhetoric that accompany the day ring hollow.

That is not the only reason I skip the parade though I live quite close to the parade venue. The main reason is the invitation I receive every year. Yes I do receive an invitation and that invitation is one of the main causes why I skip the parade.

Strange as it may sound let us come to it a bit later. First things first. Let us start with the Republic Day eve with the president’s address to the nation.

I think President Pranab Mukherjee’s address on TV should have had subtitles . If he spoke in Hindi, it should have had English subtitles and even if he spoke in English, there should still have been English subtitles. Why not? After all the shows in the English TV channels where everyone speaks at jet speed with marbles in the mouth have subtitles to enable the Yank English challenged locals to make sense out of it.

Now President Mukherjee is certainly not a yank small screen actor. He spoke quite slowly but still gave an impression that he had marbles in his mouth and uninitiated viewers could be forgiven for presuming that he spoke either in Swahili or Esperanto.

So I could make sense out of what he said only when I read the papers next day. It So here’s a list of what he said and what he definitely meant. The latter being within brackets.. .

“Populist anarchy is no substitute for good governance (Arvind Kejriwal!!!!!!! --- --expletives deleted)-- how dare you stage a protest at Rail Bhavan).

“Give youth a chance and see how they turn the country” ( accept my salams Rahulji”)

“Vote for a sbable government” ( Of course UPA is understood before “government”

.Ah yes, now for the more serious matters the invitation. But patience. Grit your teeth and bear it before I come to the point ( Have I ever come to the point that easily?). ,. The last time I ever attended a function relating to Re0public Day is during the tenure of President APJ Abdul Kalaam when I went for the Beating the Reatreat ceremony then I beat a retreat fror ever from anything and everything that had to do with Republic Day.

Official paranoia caught on with us at the function when the security chaps objected us to carrying our car keys with the remote door opener. Remots are dicey things. Hevan knows what naughty things you can do with remotes. You can open your car door, switch on the TV and even switch off a few peo00ple’s lives by setting off a bomb. So remotes were taboo.

But we managed to get in with it because couple of guys with connections whom we knew intervened for us. But you can’t always bank on guys with connections and we had no intention of parting with the car remote. Hence we beat a retreat.

Now we come to the invitation. I strongly object to the way the invitation is addressed to me, or rather to my wife . These jokers presume that my wife is a male so it is always addressed to Sri and Shrimati S.Manjula. If my wife is Shri S. Manjula does it bhend my gender and make me Shrimati S.Manjula? I get phone calls every day addressing me as “Meenaji” that is because my number was earlier with some one called Meena (male with Meena as surname). . . Initially I was shocked and they sounded like genderbander calls (if such calls exist) but Mr. and Mrs.Manjula is a bit too much.

Hence the R-Day bocott. This is just the time I thank the stars that I a not a political Honcho. If I was not sighted at the function immediately my opponents would issue a statement accusing me of demeaning the national day with my absence..

They may issue such a statement even if I attended the function.. Take the case of poor Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. He attended the parade and the President’s reception that followed, But that didn’t prevent BJP from accusing him of insulting the national day with his absence. Poor chaps, they automatically presumed that the capital’s first Aam Admi would stay away from the function ito protest something or other.

So ladies and gentlemen of BJP do you need any help to extricate your feet from your mouth? Or are you trying to give Congress foot in the mouth artists like Diggy Singh a complex?

8 people like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balaji,

When my son was little we were in Delhi and used to go to Republic Day Parade for his sake. After that we used to watch on T.v. Now stopped even that.
    Many politicians need subtitles when they speak...except in their mother tongue.
    Syamala

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Growing up in college, it was considered an honor to represent one's college at the R day parade and the amount of effort we put in was incredible. I believe the youngsters feel the same way even this day about the the parade, it is just that it is so saddening to see the netas this way. R day parade is symbolic and every segment of the society makes an effort to celebrate their region (hence the country) and the progress we are making as a nation. Perhaps that can be seen if there are no speeches, no matter who it is. We will get an idea of what our country truly is!

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

Nice to see you back with a snippet. :-D I used to be an adorer of the Republic Day Parade when I was younger. It never failed to stir up my patriotic pride.

Cut to the present. Call me cynical, call me embittered, I find all these rituals nothing more than any other ritualistic mumbo jumbo. For me the word "country" does not equate with just a map or the geographical entity. It includes the people, the ethos of the country, all that it stands for. Unfortunately, I have felt all that pride I had felt for the country going for a nose dive. I don't feel inspired to go for any flag hoisting ceremony or to listen to any of the glib talking politicos on telly. So I have stopped even watching the parade.

As for your objection to the invitation Balajee, laugh1smiley. I can't believe that is the reason! All the other stuff about not wanting to go because of the paranoia is perfectly understandable, but this ..... :shock: gigglingsmiley :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  5. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

There was no sense of "anything" to signify this day.I did not watch the so called National flag hoisting in the channels[was not aware which channel even did the telecast also].
    The dampener is that this government is so deep in corruption and with the after effects like inflation etc etc it just does not evoke any sense of pride in this drama unfolding there.This seems like a mere ritual only performed by the glorified thieves.

1 person likes this.
  6. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Balajee..(Mr. Manjula)
    I infact after quite a few years watched the entire prade on TV and really enjoyed it.. I feel very proud of the achievements of our armed forces and DRDO.. national pride in my opinion shouldn't be mixed up with the political scenario and I yet have hope against hopes..I still feel we as a nation have great potential and am waiting for a messiah to appear!!!..
    but lets not be this cynical ...
    and on a very feminist note if your wife can be addressed as Mrs Balajee and its ok then why not the male as Mr.wife????.. (oops.. no controversies please.. just light banter)

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Shyamala, the problem with watching on TV is the sycophant of a cameraman invariably focuses the camera towards the VIPs just too often and we keep on seeing the jokers whom we have learnt to hate over the years. The tragedy is R-Day has become a circus over the years losing its significant role of a cementing factor of national unity.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha that's the problem--speeches. Every year the President is used as a shield for the ruling party to take potshots at the opposition. The day should hae been an occasion for nation to look proudly at the achievements of its armed forces and its cultural diversity. But the tragedy is even the R-Day tableaus of government departments breathe politics. And in the present age when disillusionment with politics has spawned parties like AAP pitted against the entire political class the governmental boats sound hollow.

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, your attitude reflects the general mindset spreading across the country with people becoming increasingly cynical even over once sacred words like national pride and patriotism. thanks to our klepto leaders. But believe me that thing about Mr.Manjula is the truth, truth and nothing but the truth.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

As usual, I never tire of reading your snippets!

You needed to read the next day's papers to understand the President's speech??!:rotfl

I would have put up an argument of sorts with you for the reasoning as to why you do not accept the invite. ALL of us ladies get called Mrs.So and So all the time! So what if you get addressed as Mr Manjula for a change?!!!! But then, I decided to agree with all of your other reasons for not attending the parade!!!!! Besides, I get claustrophobic with the crowds that throng such public events. That is enough to stop me and me to stop anyone I know from attending it!

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.