1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    On Hair (478)
    When I was a child, I used to be very fond of lemon toffees which I would put one in my mouth and let it live its full life. I would never crush them into powder with my teeth but gently caress them with my tongue until they got smaller and smaller till they totally disappeared leaving only a faint remembrance of their taste.
    As an old man, I use the same technique with my soap. I love to watch them getting smaller and smaller until they breath their last on my skin! It is amazing how age tempers us. There was a time in my middle age when I would throw away my soap the moment it reached half its size. My wife would often tell me that if she only knew how to amalgamate my used soaps into their original form, she would make a fortune by marketing them!
    You know, India is a world leader in human hair export. Read this stunning report

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Our Rambling (479)
    That's some stunning statistics! We are yet to chat on million other subjects. In Tamil, we say that what we have learnt is just a handful but but we are yet to fathom is of the size of the world. This has indeed been a great learning process for me.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Masonry

I am intrigued by this Masonry. I have to read about it. Will get back on this. But the predominance of "Hairam" is noteworthy in the rise of the Masonry cult. I will surely read about it and get back.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Scent

Did that scent emanate from perfumed tale or perfumed musings?

When I travel via Dubai, I prefer a leisure transit to stroll the duty free. Dubai is my favourite airport hangout. I can spend a week in that airport and still marvel like a hick at the exotic collection of perfumes and silk. Re: perfumes, I also love those gold plated and damascene inlay work on those perfume bottles. They come in style! I don't purchase anything but I love to read those labels and infusions. I never spend time in electronic stores at the airport. I am drawn to arts and crafts.

I spent a season in Middle East (ME) on a work assignment during my youngish times. My favourite past time during the weekends was exploring those souks (markets). I had a fascination for rugs and carpets at that time. You won't find many women in quaint souks. The men fielding those shops would pride so much in mixed Arabic and English about their wares. I love when people talk with passion and excitement. I like people to talk about themselves and their ongoing pursuits and their joie de vivre. Also, exhibitions! I used to love them. In exhibitions, I used to explore the glassware. I never bought anything because I prefer a spartan house. I don't like to clutter my place. Nevertheless, I was drawn to the labour and design behind those artistic vases. Back to scent, the Arabic scent is intoxicating.

Once a friend saw my laptop and screamed - 'there must be an insect colony feeding in the catacombs of your gadget'. It already smells sweet with shrivelled and sugary crumbs from buns and puddings and pies lodged in the keypad. The smell is enriched now with the Arabic waft.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On Chocolate and Soap

As a kid, my favourite chocolate bar was Amul chocolate. I used to love that chunky bar. I think it was priced at ₹15. Pricey as other similar chocolates were available at five and ten rupees. I would reserve my precious choco bar in the fridge and nibble at it for a week. I would break and eat a chunk a day. A small chunk and I would feel jubilant as if I had swallowed a vat of honey.

Today, these chocolate bars have evolved into cultural memes to signify celebration, family reunions, love, spirit, liberation whatnot. Diary Milk has milked this sentiment like no other chocolate. Moreover, today they don't come in palm-sized bars, they are manufactured in sizes of a granite or marble slab. They should be baptized as chocolate tiles or chocolate slabs and not chocolates bars. If I bought one today, and eked on it with the moderation of my childhood, it would last a year. Surprisingly, I still love sweet desserts but I lost interest in sweet chocolates. I don't relish chocolates any more. Have you noticed, when you are strapped to purchase, you crave for the taste but when you can afford, you are disenchanted of it. I outgrew that taste because today I prefer softer texture on my gums, like gateaux, but believe it or not other finicky patrons outgrew that taste due to shape.

Your wife is resourceful. In the past, why did you want to throw away the soap?

Our temperaments mellow with age. But how did you grow sympathetic to depleted soap? Recall the time I admitted that I used to carry different lotions for different parts of the body. Today, I have one dabba of moisturiser for all my cosmetic needs. I don't know whether that lotion can be applied on face, hands, legs and tummy but I slather it everywhere in one swoop. Such uncouth grooming was unthinkable in my younger days.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On hair

Interesting article.

One is Remy hair (the highest grade of human hair, a preferred choice for hairpieces and wigs because it creates a natural look) collected from temples where pilgrims tonsure their hair as part of a religious vow. The Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam (TTD) is where the most such tonsuring happens. The temple authorities classify it and sell it on the basis of global tenders through the Metal Scrap Trading Corporation, earning 300-400 rupees core a year, according to industry sources.

The second kind is non-Remy hair-household waste collected by gypsy groups or nomads from villages, who sell it to dealers in hair, who in turn sell it to hair export firms. The latter process it, make it reusable and export it to the West, where it is used to make wigs and hairpieces. Several lakhs of people work in the collection, stocking, and processing of hair.

Wonder why the quality of remy-hair collected from temple tonsures is of high grade and non-remy gypsy hair is inferior? Do you see any reason? I am marking this up for our investigation. Is tonsured hair well-cared and gypsy hair wild?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Once upon a time, in an invisible land teeming with fervor, imagination and inverted sense, lived a funny bearded man in a castle. He called his abode a senile den and identified himself as a rambler. Not so long ago, he heard a knock on his door.

“Who's that?”

“A scribbler.”

“A what?”

“I was told that a rambler lives here.”

“Yes, I am that rambler I know no scribbler or any of your tribe.”

“You are one of your kind, I too am one of my kind.”

“What do you do?”

“I am yet to find out.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Teach me how to ramble.”

“How am I to benefit?”

“I will teach you how to scribble.”

Thus, began their madcap journey to discover a world unlocked and unbound.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Soap (482, 483)
    Soaps have no expiry date.They are as dead today as they will be ten years hence. Some soaps do state that they will best serve our purpose if used within a year. This expiry date racket is a big business tool in the hands of manufacturers. Soaps on the verge of expiry are rebranded with a fresh expiry date! I once asked my family purohit (priest) what soap he used for his bath. He said that purohits used no soap because they all contained animal fat. He further informed me that he used softened coconut husk for bathing! This was news to me.
    My wife's aunt who was very fond of me presented a Mysore Sandal Millennium Soap a couple of years back. I still keep it unused as I have no mind to use a Rs.750/- soap for my bath. I just take it out twice a day, smell it and keep it back in the box. I grew up at a time when a man using cosmetics was considered a sissy but now it has become a huge market. I see separate sections in super markets for male cosmetics.

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Donkeys (488)
    What an ennobling connection! I envy you. But that picture that you have attached. Is it really a donkey? It looks like a zebra with melanin deficiency. I think you should stick to Ira. No other name can come anywhere near your persona.
    When I was once introduced to a friend with my real name, he said it sounded like a boarding and lodging outfit!

10. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    On Parking (490)
    When it comes to utilisation of space, no one can beat the Indians. When Maruti 800 was introduced in Chennai, the manufacturers wanted to prove that the car might look small physically but had a large heart. They announced a competition with lavish prizes for the cars that accommodated the maximum number of people. The winner Maruti carried an astounding 26 passengers!
    My prediction is a well stacked Provision Stores!