1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quid Pro Quo With The Gods

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 20, 2017.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Wodehouse Weights

I walk past George RR Martin's books in the store wondering who would buy these bantam weights. Wodehouse is the only author who would merit his omnibus with secondary help:

When I read that preface in the omnibus collection The World of Jeeves, instantly knew that our author isn't a conscientious writer promising eternal joy reading his works but deflecting some of his imponderable writing (esp..the musings of Jeeves on Spinoza and Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky) to household recycle. If you had enjoyed the writing itself, good for you, else, ways to reinvent his inaccessible (some readers are born lacking sense of humor) handiwork as waistline weights. How many authors introduce their writing in such considerate tips for disinclined readers?

2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I am often inquired: you are such an oddity, how do you find kinship like you?

Easier to find scrambled minds like mine because the criteria is keenly defining, someone with a cascading interest in trivial musings. No gravitas and profundity! There are too many solemn thinkers jostling to be in the center of the world that marginal and odd voices are found readily in the modest corners. When you look away from the centrestage, you always find castaways gadding about in these quiet corners.

I am happy to have found a rambler with unsatiated appetite for colloquy in you covering all these random topics.

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Corrected: Mahisha would have been ..

To boot: I was impressed by RK Narayan’s storytelling girth not pruning out any trifling or derivative plots from the mainline. Every subplot was as interesting as the main plot. I enjoyed reading the book. Characters like Lavana, Yayati, Trishanku were unknown to me in Indian mythology.

4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Doris Day has passed away. We discussed her previously.

Doris Day is the epitome of that saying 'when one door closes, the other opens'. Injured in a car accident, Doris abandoned dance and fancied singing to eventually become the highest-paid hollywood singer of her times. Isn't it delightful that our hidden talent blooms in unfortunate circumstances. She would not have pursued music if not for that accident. Such anecdotes of improvisation in adversities endear me.

Pillow Talk is one of my favourite films. The characters played by Rock Hudson and Doris Day charmed their way into each other's wits in that film. I insist with my friends that if a man does not indulge the woman in pillow talk, he ain't worth the afterwards snore. The movie elevated the act of noncommittal pillow talk between a couple to emphatic affirmation in love.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Novalis
    1303 Chariot of donkeys
    Mahisha's killing by Devi is one of the fiercest you can ever come across. There is a Samskrit sloga called Mahishasura Mardhini which is extremely popular.
    On the subject of the chariot of donkeys, this is quite a hilarious ad:

6. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1304 Story of Mantotari
    When I was browsing through the offers of Amazon's offers, I chanced upon The Chronicles of Devi : Cosmos & Mahisha by Pankaj Misra. That book will give you all the answers about Mahisha.

7. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1305 Chess: zugzwang
    I wonder if you had seen Satyajit Ray's movie Shatranj Ke Khilari (The Chess Players)that came in the late '70s. A typical Ray's stuff. It was India's entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 51st Academy Awards, but did not receive a nomination. He, however, won the Honorary Oscar in 1992. Even that great movie did not cause any shift in my stand on Chess. As you say, this is the only game that doesn't help you to trim up besides carom.
    The Chess Players can solve the problem after spending an hour on it. I have seen chess players moving out for respite after making the move leaving the other player break his head for another hour.

8. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1306, 1307 Words
    Years back, I came across a book that listed words that had ceased to be in use anymore and giving them new meanings. I am not able to recollect the name of the book or its author. Going through that book used to be a jolly good pastime. I can never forget Wodehouse word 'gruntled'
    Playing with words is a great game (unlike chess) and I can never get tired of it.

9. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1308 Snoopy
    I too get into Snoopy's predicament from time to time. Usually the first salvo is fired by my heart and protests start from all over. When you have a heart that doesn't realise that it is not commanding a young and spirited army anymore, the fault finding starts all over. The trouble is that the heart keeps thinking that the body is perpetually as young as it is.

10. Cheeniya

@Novalis
    1309 Kramer
    I just read about Cosmo Kramer from Wiki. I have not had an occasion to see him on TV. But the name takes me back to the other Kramer. I refer to Dustin Hoffman as Kramer in Kramer vs Kramer. Dustin got an Oscar for it. The film won 5 Oscars in all. A truly great movie. Dustin was nominated for Oscar 7 times and won it twice for Kramer vs Kramer and Rain Man. A friend of mine once remarked that if Dustin could perform like this as Hoffman, how would he be as a Full Man!