Quick Recipes Please

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Users, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Users

Users Bronze IL'ite

Hello Friends,

My in-laws are planning to visit us next week for 6 months. I'm a working mom of 2 toddlers and get very little time to cook. Please help me with some quick recipes which are easy to made.
    I'm looking for vegetarian dishes. Thanks a lot.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

visiting us, or visiting US ?
    You can get frozen subjiz online. I dont remember the website, but google and you'd see them.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Are you comfortable using the convection oven? If yes, there are some quick roast/grill recipes which can be made with Indian masalas and veggies.

Anyway, a quick stove top recipe: aalu peas. Put oil in flat pan for heating. Put frozen peas to thaw in microwave. Chop potatoes finely. Mustard, whole green chillies into pan. Some turmeric. Add the potatoes and stir. After 5 min, add the peas. Add salt, amchur (dried mango) powder, and some ground black pepper. Cook another 5 min.

kaniths, Users and Nonya like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I seem to have come around to the opinion that making indian vegetarian is a hard thing to do.
    Making white rice, and wok-cooking some stir-fry that has the consistency of both solids, and sauces, and a couple of colors, to eat with the white rice, would be a snappy thing to do. But not for visiting desi in-laws.

And OP said "in-laws", and planning to stay 6 months. Hopefully they are good at managing toddlers, and leave the OP with time at the cooking range.

I once watched a youtube video of a woman making a Tamil-Nadu meal to be served on plantain leaf. Phew... she was fast, and good. I was tired just to watch that; couldn't follow some of the language, but got the general gist of things. Variations of that are feasible, if the OP is well rested and manage help from her spouse.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Are there restrictions. Health restrictions and i dont eat yesterday's food. And also specify region for peole to pitch in. A little planning and little delegation helps.

6. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Veg Pulao ( Chopped not fine veggies + Rice + Some pulao masala ) + Curd / vegetable raita
    frozen peas + Alu ,
    Frozen peas + paneer
    Saag paneer
    Chole
    Rajama
    black beans
    Pav bhaji

Users likes this.
  7. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Easy veg stew: boil diced potato,carrot,onion,green chilly/pepper powder with salt n water (just enough to cook them),
    pour coconut milk(instant coconut milk powder will do) when cooked.
    Curry is ready. ( If u wish do tadkas- mustard, dried red chilly, green leaves), coriander leaves)....

Users likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Tips . Make ready to use onion tomatoes and masala and frozen in portions. Thaw and add the sabji of the day to make a gravy.

Make more one pot dishes.

If you are south indian and use lot of tamarind pressure cook in bulk and make ready to use pulp. Ofcourse more easy is off the shelf.

You can make some long preserving chutneys and pickles too

Users and Rowith like this.
  9. Users

Users Bronze IL'ite

Visiting us in US. I'm looking for some quick recipes. I'm trying to get few recipes to be handy in need. Thanks.

10. Madhu06

Madhu06 New IL'ite

You could prepare bisibelebath..for one cup rice, you can add half cup of toor dal.Pressure cook rice and dal for 5 whistles. In a pan add oil and ghee and temper little mustard,fenugreek,curry leaves and hing.Then add shallots,tomato,and available veggies(preferably you can use beans,carrot,peas,potato,drumstick,pumpkin,etc,.).Add the required salt,turmeric powder and stir.After the veggies get cooked,add the tamarind extract and let it get cooked until the raw smell goes off.Then grind coconut ,coriander seeds along with sambar powder abd mix the paste into the pan and let it cook for 3 more minutes .Finally add the pressure cooked rice-dal and mix all the content evenly and sprinkle some coriander leaves.Accompany this with potato curry or just papads or even raitha would be enough!

GaythriV and Users like this.