Question on Kondakadalai malai for Guru bhagavan

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by gdivya85, Jan 7, 2011.

1. gdivya85

gdivya85 Junior IL'ite

Hi all,

I have a question on the count of kondakadalai (chana dhal) malai for Guru bhagavan. What is the count of kondakadalai (chana dhaal) to be used. Should it be soaked over night/boiled before using it? Which is the best day to put this malai....Is it on a Thursday or Saturday?

Also, can chana dhaal malai be put for Lord hayagrivar too?

Please reply
    Thanks

2. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi gdivya85,

You can soak the dhal overnight.Count is 108.Preferred day is thursday and i have seen the white chana dhal also formed as a chain to lord dhakshinamoorthy.:)

3. gdivya85

gdivya85 Junior IL'ite

Hi Keethi,

Thanks for the reply :) ...I was saying the chick peas/Garbanzo beans which is konda kadalai in Tamil...

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Divya,

I was making this maalai for Guru Bhagavan regularly. I was told to do it on Thursdays.It is ideal to string it in the evening and put it on the God. However, it can also be done in the morning, as per our convenience if we are working or have children and other domestic commitments. If doing in the evening, have bath (head bath not necessary), and soak white kabuli channa in a mud vessel. Well, if mud vessel is not available, any ceramic vessel or any vessel is acceptable. When it soaks well enough to allow a needle through it, make a garland of 108 channas, and offer. After removing the garland, you can use the soaked channa for your daily cooking. Or offer it in the temple to devotees. In my case, I lived in a palce where I could not easily go to the temple and offer it on the Guru idol. So, I got a small picture of Dakshinamoorthy and put it on that at home. Later, when that picture was mispalced, I would put the garland on the vilakku, considering that as Guru. I guess, whatever we do is acceptable to GuruBhagavan.

For Hayagreevar, I am not sure about white konda kadalai maalai. I know that cardamom maalai is very special for HIM. Dont worry abot the number of pods. After you put it on the God, you can powder and use the cardamom in your beverages or payasams.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  5. gdivya85

gdivya85 Junior IL'ite

Hi Srividya74,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply...you have put lot of thought into it....thanks again...I am planning to make a malai and offer it to the temple where they have the navagraham (Guru bhagavan is also present in the Navagraham)...Even I am in the place where temple is not close by...But we are planning to go to the temple this weekend...So, I wanted to make a garland out of kabuli chana...

Yes, it is elakai/cardamom for hayagreevar....I forgot and you made me to recollect....I think we can do 108 pods in this case too, as you said...

Thanks again,
    Divya

6. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Very informative vidya.this info will be useful to many people.thanks