1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Query Related Air Travel

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Swetha52003, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    We, are flying to US next week. This is my first International trip. I have a doubt about the carry on luggages. I know one person can carry a bag of 8 kg on flight. But what about the personal mens/ womens hand bag or backpack? Can we carry that as well along with the carry on bag? Also can I carry a 350 or 500 ml water bottle and some snacks like cereal bars for my 3 year old? I searched on the Airlines's site. Only the baby food for 0 to 2 year old kids are mentioned there..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

2. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Check the airline website for the exact details of the baggage allowance, as it varies..

You can carry snacks, but as far as i know will not be allowed to carry water, unless its a baby. you can buy water once you clear security and inside the terminal.. you can take that inside the flight.. once inside the flight you can get as much water you want..

Swetha52003 likes this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Cereal bars etc. should not be a problem. Buy water after you pass security. You can get all the water you want on a plane, but with between 300-400 passengers on a flight, it may take a little while - unless the airline staff is tuned in to the fact that you may be asking for your child. So, do keep some water with you when you board. Once the aircraft reaches cruising altitude, onboard service gets smoother.

I split my stuff into 2 bags: one bacakpack that has my laptop, powercords blah, blah, blah - i.e. things I may not need immediately. This bag goes in the overhead bin. Stuff that I might need during the flight - iPad, Kindle, NC headset, eyeshades, neck/lumbar pillow, Tylenol, blanket, pullover, comfy slippers, paper, pens that won't leak in-flight etc. go in a floppy, smushable bag that can sit underfoot. If the bag is too large or too rigid, you lose leg-room - that's uncomfortable. I prefer something that collapses easily and I can put my feet on.

Hope this helps. Bon Voyage!:beer-toast1:

Dishaa and Swetha52003 like this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Please check with ur airlines. I few Emirates recently and there was new rule that all incoming US flights from Middle East could only have one carry-on per person. Everything u had in hand needed to be consolidated into one bag. I do not know if this was a temporary rule or is now the norm. But it caused havoc in the airport.
    Empty bottles are fine. (no liquids /gels (not even water) more than 3oz ) Cereal bars and dry baby cereal should be fine. Most air hostesses are obliging and give u warm water/milk to mix the baby food.

Dishaa and Swetha52003 like this.
  5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl Dear JAG i too flew Emirates in August and two check in baggages were allowed.Is there any restrictions now?i am returning to India by Emirates and have the same two baggages.can you clear my doubt?

Swetha52003 likes this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dear @periamma
    2 Checkins is fine. Only hand baggage had issue. Usually they allow two. One cabin baggage and one purse/laptop bag. But this time they insisted on consolidating both the laptop bag and the cabin baggage into one.

Swetha52003 likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl Thank you dear .Then no problem as i packed my laptop in my cabin baggage when i was flying here.

Swetha52003 and justanothergirl like this.
  8. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear friends for all your help and suggestions. Really glad I asked here .

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

OP, you need to call airlines if they do not have on website. Since you have baby, you need to know things.

Anyways, for kids, usually they allow most things. Packaged foods -cereal bars/ cookies/jars/crackers are fine. I think open solid foods are also fine.
    People also carry poori/roti/rice/mathri kind of dry foods and I heard people carry daal etc and they do not eat airlines food at all. If you need that, carry it and if asked tell them its for baby. If they refuse, throw/eat before security.

Coming from India - many times I had water bottle from outside, once banana ( was not aware) in hand bag, they went in.
    Buy bottled water for security and you carry couple sealed bottles from outside also.
    You can carry one thermos/empty bottle and keep filing at airport after security. With baby, keep water with you always.

For baggage, like someone suggested, I split in 2. One for important items, goes underneath and one goes in overhead storage.
    Which airlines are you flying?

Swetha52003 and sindmani like this.
  10. Swetha52003

Swetha52003 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sanju,
    Thanks for your detailed reply. We landed here in Houston on October 11. It wasTurkish airlines. I should say the crew was really helpful and friendly. I took the water bottles and snacks for my kid. I was ready to throw the water and refill after checkin. But they said no need if its only 500 ml. Only problem I faced was I kept the battery pack in the checkin baggage and they asked me to keep it in the cabin bag. Unfortunately I forgot in which bag exactly I kept the battery pack, so that took some time to figure it out. By God's grace all went fine and reached here safely. Thanks once again for all your inputs and it really helped me

Dishaa likes this.