Pumping from flat nipple

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by shruthipraveen, Jan 1, 2012.

1. shashiprp

shashiprp New IL'ite

hi shruthipraveen

i had a similar issue of not being able to produce enough milk... lactation consultant told me to pump immediately after feeding for 10 to 15 minutes for total of 90-100 minutes daily. This pumping immediately after feeding signals body that it needs to produce more milk. You will hardly get few drops of milk when you pump immediately after feeding. I used to wonder whether i am making fool of myself. You need to pump for 10-15 mins even if there is no milk coming.

After 1 week of doing this, now i have seen a good increase in milk supply. Though i am still short of milk and give formula just like you do.

My baby doesnt suck properly on breasts and hence i get frustrated . She keeps crying as she doesnt feed properly. Now i am also pumping milk and giving. only thing is milk supply has increased. Hope this helps

2. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shashi,
    How are things at ur end?
    My baby is gaining wt steadily-infact, he's a bit overwt- so doc said stop formula- He's getting more milk than required- the uncontrollable crying was due to colic prob & gas trouble- not for more milk as we thought!
    So for now, only breastmilk. :)

3. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

Shruthi,

Happy to know that you have finally sorted out the reason for crying.I forgot to mention that my son was also crying due to colic pain.Eeryday by evening 5'o clock,he would start crying and throughout the evening till night he wanted to latch.

Only after a few weeks,I found out that he was colic.I used to give a teaspoon of bonnisan by evening 5'o clock.By morning,I regularly gave massage particularly around the tummy area.

Applying asfoetida+coconut oil around the navel also helped.The mother should also avoid gassy food.

Take care.

4. wazap

wazap Junior IL'ite

oh no... plz dont pump when there is no milk... i did it n in pain now :(
    a week before i was over pumping milk into the bottle and got nerve pain... i coudlnt raise my hand at al - tat much pain i had... so i went to Dr and she gave me some tablets for pain... she said it may be due to over pumping and she said pump only 70% milk out... now again i'm facing one more problem... if i pump 70% milk out and if i leave the 30% milk in then i get breast engorgement(milk kattiduchu in tamil) ... but still i cant pump more since i get nerve pain.... i'm struggling with this now... i cant over pump due to pain and i cant leave the milk due to breast engorgement... what should i do now? thinking to go back to the same Dr...
    ladies plz suggest me ur ideas... :(

5. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

Thanku kishoremommy. :)
    wazap, do talk to ur doctor about this. Hope u become better soon.