Pulliyodharai Recipe (tamarind Rice, Puliyogare)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by grskkrish, Aug 23, 2017.

1. grskkrish

grskkrish New IL'ite

Here's the recipe of my masterpiece Puliyodharai.My husband, In-laws and many more love my puliyodharai.
    I would like to share the recipe with you.

Ingredients:

Raw Rice - 1 cup
    Water
    Tamarind
    Sesame oil
    Salt
    Jaggery (small piece)
    hing

For Powder

Fenugreek
    pepper
    red chilli
    sesame seeds
    coriander powder

For Seasoning

Mustard seeds
    Urad dal
    Peas Dal
    red chilli
    groundnuts
    Curry leaves

Method:

Boil 1 cup raw rice with 2 cups of water.
    Soak tamarind in water.I usually take 2 lemon size tamarind and will soak in 2cups of water.Tamarind paste should be thick.
    Dry roast all the items mentioned in "For Powder".
    If you have anything in powder form , add that atlast before switching off the flame to avoid over burnt.
    Powder the roasted ingredients and keep aside.

For Puliyodharai, for authentic taste use Sesame oil. Pour sesame oil in a kadai. Using more oil gives more taste and also it will stay long.Put mustard, when it splutters add urad dal,peas dal,groundnuts,curry leaves, red chilli.Now reduce the flame and add the tamarind paste.Allow it to boil in medium flame.The quantity begins to reduce and when the mixture becomes think add salt, hing and a small piece of jaggery to reduce the sourness.When the mixture begins to leave oil , add the powder. After the mixture boils switch off the flame.

Mix the raw rice with paste.To adjust consistency add oil,salt.

Note:If you want the paste to stay longer , make it a solid paste, wait till the mixture becomes thicken and then add powder.
    If you need in little liquid form, add powder when the mixture reduces and it sets leaving oil.

Hope you will try the recipe and send me feedback.