puliyangottai/tamarind seeds?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by teacher, Jan 12, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I can't believe I have to ask around on a forum for this...but where can I get tamarind seeds these days? I want some for the traditional game (great fine motor activity)...any ideas?
    Thanks
    R

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Try the nattu marundhu kadai Dabba Chetty on kutchery road, Mylapore!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

These days i replace tamarind seeds with shells, Rama.
    We use it to play pallanguzhi and other games.. i am a little bit scared what if the kids put into their nose..seen a close encounter once.

you get the small shells called chozhi in the same shops i think..

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Thank you both...Shanthi, that's a good point. I will substitute with chozhi.

Do you know the game where we pile these seeds up and blow on them? Then the childrenbhave to collect the free seeds without moving the rest? What is the game called? And while you are at it, I have a few questions about games/activities. I am trying to compile a set of activities which are great for fine motor activities. these are the activities/games I came up with...can you add to this list with any games you played?

Pallanguzhi
    Kolam
    Anju kal (the game where you throw one pebble up in the air and pick the rest one by one, etc)
    MEhendi with the cone

I would love to hear more about these...
    Rama

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

this is margazhi and i am enjoying drawing those chikku kolams and was wondering that they were a good exercise for the joints, as well as reasoning and motor skills..to hold the rice powder and make lines definitely needs lot of skill..and that could go towards helping the formation of the grip..yes to kolam.

making knots on ropes and removing them.. something like what is taught in scouts/guides programmes.

what about the pandi game

Would you say shadow puppetry manipulating hands to bring out shapes is one"??

sozhi urutarathu is another game..i remember...

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

though not related to this but do you remember those dots which we join and initial..and the one who had the highest number of boxes was the winner..don't remember the name..was it connect..a very captivating and engaging game for kids..

even learning to work the top is a fine motor skill...to rope the top and lay it on the ground..

anju kal...i remember that game so well..these days i cannot hold those.. oh the fun of throwing the stones, turning your hand and then catching the stones on the back of your hand...

And what about marbles...??

7. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Well. I can source them from the farm, for free.

PS: Shipping charges extra, lol!

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

aha, thanks for the ideas. BTW, is chozhi uruttradhu when you throw five chozhis and you count the upturned ones; then you strike one against the other or some such thing?

9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

nemesis,
    I know...my neighbor said why don't you just buy some puli with the seeds and work on it! Who knew the lightning would strike me now? hehe

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

no..it is actually throwing the a fist of sozhi and then one of the players guesses if it is odd/even.either you take the fully covered portion or the upturned side initially in the game. then you start counting the number of upturned or the fully covered..you find out if it is odd or even. if the other player guessed it right they get a point. i remember playing it by calling out ottaya/rettaiya...