1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Pros N Cons Of Living In Canada

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by ashneys, Nov 26, 2017.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Indian association is there here. I think in big cities like Chicago they have classical singing or Bharathanatiyam centres etc.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

That tax calculation is seriously scary. In india we pay about 33% n there is also gst on everything. With the ever changing policies, won't be surprised if we sail in the same boat too in some years.

Regarding the business, being business owners isn't easy here either. He's a smart guy but he's never done a business till now. N Starting a new business esp in an unknown place would be even more tough. N funds aren't that liberal to invest n sustain for a year. Maybe it's better to advice them to go for a job first n then start a business once they know the region.

So 3k per month for survival, 5k for better options ? So if he joins a job, should he look for something that pays him 60k per year after tax ? Is that kinda salary feasible ? N He's in none of the category so he would not need any specific Canadian license n can start.

Are they open minded to have Indians in management roles as well ? As he is in some kind of managerial role here.

Any racism or religious issues ? Black, Muslim or turban or scarf issues? You keep reading news regarding these kinda things in other parts of the world, so can't help but wonder how's it here.

Do you have any good recruiters reference that has worked for you or anyone in your known circle (you can send a msg privately)? Would it work if he contacts from here n even attend a few rounds of the interview through phone / Skype ? Or would it be mandatory for him to go there n attend interviews ? On another side, I think he's also trying to work on some migration process.

In terms of food, I read that we do get our ingredients there n many eateries too. Is it true? Is it easy to setup a kitchen with all our stuff by walking into a store there or would she need to take anything from here?

In india, there are a lot of extra curricular classes kids go too after school, could vary from sports, arts to technology. Every neighbourhood area has a set of these classes. Does this happen there too ? Affordable ? Distance ?

How are kids occupied there after school esp during winters, assuming they won't be able to step out n play ?

N are there restrictions in terms of house - school distance ? Or they can pick any they want n just opt for the school bus ?

3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Just figured out about this au pair concept after your post. How did they get them?

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

That's nice.

sindmani likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

8 years ago we looked into this Indian grocery thing. We chickened out of it as it doesn’t ensure a steady flow of income. Maybe if we perused, it would have been a success. I don’t know. That would be the main insecurity with business. It may go either way. Ya, anything over 75K before tax (doenst have to be after tax) should be OK. I am saying this because he will be declaring his wife and kids as dependants. So, he is going to get back money when he files for taxes. On top of that we have government grants here. I get $100 per kid every month. You can use it for saving for kids (ask them to look at RESP concept in Canada…long post to explain that here).

My first job here is a manager job and so are my friends. So, don’t worry too much. Just keep trying I suppose with an open mind to accept something. In Toronto I didn’t see any blatant racism. I mean, the whole city is made up of immigrants and so you will see lot of people from all over the world. So no. I wouldn’t say you will find that as much as you would find it in smaller and more conservative towns.

I do know some people with whom I can hook you up with but the requirement they have is that they should be legally eligible to work here before they consider for roles. Perhaps you can PM me when they have applied for PR? That is something head hunters are going to ask for sure before they consider talking to a potential client.

Unless in a very specific role, they won’t accept skype interviews; at least I haven’t come across any..

Its very easy to find desi stuff here. Don’t worry about food and all. Even Walmart carries a lot of our desi spices and veggies. The first time they land here, they are allowed to bring a LOT of things with them. I mean not in the flight but they can ship it. That’s what I did. I paid money and got shipped some of my things I cannot live without (like favorite books, sarees favorite plates etc).

Here also they will have plenty of opportunities for kids extra-curricular activities. There is YMCA, Sports and leisure centers and other private places where they can enroll kids. There is no concept of summer/winter thing here. We have indoor soccer and heated pools too and as such, people get enrolled throughout the year. I wouldn’t call it expensive. But maybe instead of joining the kids in several classes, they can start with 1 per kid and see how they can do financially.

Parks are usually active during summers but we have indoor (paid) playgrounds where you can take the kids to burn some energy and have fun.

We have subway in Toronto. They don’t need a car if they are living in Toronto at least to start with. In towns, we have local bus service but not very frequent. One in 20 mins I think.

If you go the public school route (free education), you will not get to choose where you want to enrol the kid. They (school board) look at the postal code (area code/ post code) and then choose the closest school. If the school is within walking distance, bus service isn’t available. I forget but I think its like within 2 km there is no bus…something like that. We could check the school boards once they decide on the city.

6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

@Rakhii

Can't thank you enough for your inputs. I have passed the details. Hope they take an educated decision.

May come back to you with more if they decide on it. :p:D

Thanq:beer-toast1:

Rakhii likes this.
  7. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

Any members in this forum who live in Surrey BC? I might want to move to Surrey from downtown due to economical reasons.

How is Surrey as in different localities there when it comes to schools and safety especially concerning children?

I heard a lot about drug and crime problems in Surrey. Are there any neighbourhoods to avoid? And what about school? Any ones to look for particularly?