1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with mother

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Prettywoman73, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ganaraya

Ganaraya Bronze IL'ite

it sounds like your mother had very poor parenting skills. how was her relationship with her own mother?

nonetheless, your mom's past and present actions indicate a narcissistic personality. i disagree with other posters who suggest you don't analyze your mother and let things be. your childhood has been damaged to a great extent because of her. when a child grows up starved for mother's love, understanding and attention (inspite of her being physically present), it has a lot of repurcussions on his/her life. so, now, when you see her showering your sil with attention and love, it hurts you. understandably so. but you know what, her so-called love is based on HER selfish motives. stop sharing details about your life since you know she is not respectful of your privacy. have you ever had a heart to heart with her about what and how you have felt growing up? if you are up to a confrontation you can talk to her. be prepared for denials, defensiveness and rejection.

motherhood is always idealized by society. yet, we are human too. but, that still does not give us a free pass to cross certain lines. we all make mistakes, we also need to apologize for them. and learn fom them.

the way your mom is treating your aunt is unacceptable. please stand up for her and make sure she gets her due. just giving birth does not a mother make. help and support your aunt at this stage of her life. you don't need your mom's approval for how you and your sister choose to do that.

your future relationship with your mother depends on how much healing from past hurts is possible. otherwise, keep it to a minimum and just do your duty.

2 people like this.
  2. Prettywoman73

Prettywoman73 New IL'ite

Hi ganaraya
    Thanks for the reply your analysis about my mom matches my thoughts . My mom didn't have a pleasant relation with her parents .may be that's what is reflecting on her behavior now.
    Regarding helping my aunt . Me and my sister took the initiative but failed since we faced a lot if resistance from my parents . They threaten to end relations with us which further incited our respective husband to initiate us to back out. Here we were faced with an absolutely messy situation since our respective hubby's family too came into the picture. Things got too messy. ... We had no choice but to stick taking care of our respective families.
    I am not allowed to even talk to her over the phone... If we are lucky that my parents have gone out my aunt picks up the phone then we manage to talk.
    As you said my relations with my mom is now just minimal.. I am doing my duty of a daughter. Now every time she does something good and surprisingly good for me I actually doubt her intentions and wonder what does she want now from me.. May be xyz things when I came to India for a vacation. ..
    Thanks again.

3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

I agree 100% with ganaraya's post.I know a similar mom and it hurts to be with such personnel.They just want to control your life with a kind of dominance but do not want to put any effort in working on relationships.By beating and giving all punishments she must have thought she will get the "respect" and "scare" she "well deserves" as she is working(and she must have thought punishments are easy way than showing love and putting effort to make the kids realise things).Such women think they are "above all" and do not value any relationship.They bad mouth about their own children and hubby , do not trust anyone and selfish to the core.Does she have anything good to tell about you and your sister when she talks to anyone?

Ignore her and take care of your aunty.Do not feel guilty thinking that you are not doing your "duty as a daughter".Be natural and be yourself.

4. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

PW, is whether one of the intentions of posting your story here is to find out whether mom-daughter relationship like yours exists in the society? The reason I ask this is bcoz of my own relationship with my mom :) Everywhere I look, girls rave about their mothers.

But I think such moms do exist.

5. Prettywoman73

Prettywoman73 New IL'ite

Hi buk buk
    I was stressed about this constant bickering and the formality to to keep up the namesake relation.
    From the replies above I also get to gauge that my views I have for my mom is not totally wrong. Given the scenario I had .
    Yes also to gauge do such relations exist .. Or am I just one off ...
    Ne ways thanks for your concern.