Prenatal Vitamins

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by mom2nov, Jun 23, 2017.

1. mom2nov

mom2nov Senior IL'ite

Hello all,
    I am looking for suggestions on prenatal vitamins. I am in 19th week now. With my first pregnancy in India, i took prenatals(multivitamins + dha + omega 3) 6 months before conceiving and 1 months after conceiving. Started with folic acid and took it in first trimester as per doc. Calcium and iron only in second and third trimester.

Now, my doc suggests to use prenatals with dha throught pregnancy and after baby is born. What is your take on this? I think calcium and iron will b added after my next dr appt. is it necessary to take so many tablets during pregnancy? So far, my blood reports gave normal results.
    Any specific brand for prenetals that you suggest.. like naturemade brand?
    Those bottles come up min 90 calpsules and they seem pretty expensive in dollars.

2. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

Hello,

Prenatal vitamins that you get here has all vitamins, DHA, omega, folic acid along with calcium, iron copper, zinc, magnesium etc..( you get the idea) There are many brands here where there is an option to take more than one tablet in a day (like morning and night) or one tablet which has all these and it's enough to take once in a day. You can get it over the counter or you can get prescription from the doctor or ask for sample from the doctor. It's up to you.
    2) Calcium and iron tablets will not be prescribed separately here as you are supposed to take prenatal vitamins and that has calcium and iron. Iron tablets may be prescribed later if you have very low hemoglobin when they test you around week 20. All through the pregnancy, I took only prenatal vitamins. I'm 39 weeks now
    3) Regarding prenatal vitamins after delivery, here doctor recommends you to take for one year as your body undergoes various hormone changes and to keep up with the new baby and breastfeeding. It keeps you healthy as it's just daily recommended vitamins dosage. You also get it as postnatal vitamins in some brand.

Hope this info helps you

3. aditi1

aditi1 New IL'ite