1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Trained Almost 4 Year Old Peed In Class...help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Oct 4, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My child is talking well,smart,completely potty trained.yesterday night she peed in my bed.she did not sleep well and we are trying to put her in her crib but she rebels and comes to our bed and sleeps.
    today her preschool teacher called me and said that she peed while awake standing up.I do not know why she is behaving like this...
    if i ask her she is like"I did it by mistake"..If she is smart enough to answer that way,why do kids behave like that..
    can somebody give me an idea?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Don't worry this is more common than you know. Has your daughter seen anything scary or fallen down somewhere. If she has seen scary soothe her and assure her during bedtime with some stories. Next if she has fallen down take her to the doctor and tell all her symptoms. They will be able to give suitable advice.

I know my niece used to bed wet for some time when she was small. We didn't realize until it was a few months that her fall from swing had contributed to it. The doctor gave her the right advice and medicine and now she is fine.Good Luck.Do post how she is doing.

anika987 likes this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

sure dear..
    I will check..just worried that she should not do it again..

4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Don't attach too much significance to it. It was an accident. That's all.

Sometimes in school kids get carried away doing activities or playing and they don't realise until it's too late that they need the loo.

Tell her that she needs to try going to the loo periodically. Eg..before snack time , after circle time etc. Ask her teacher to remind her for a few days.

You might want to get a human body book from the library and explain how the kidneys process all the water in the body and fill the bladder little by little. Sometimes when the bladder is only half full, she doesn't feel the need to run to the toilet but still can go. however once the bladder fills up fully, it makes her have an accident.

Usually at that age toilet trained kids freeze when a little accident starts. Reassure her it could happen to anyone who doesn't go to the loo often enough.

For bedtime, take her once in the night - set an alarm for it. If she comes to your bed, you need to consistently take her back.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

just another thing,is it ok for kids to sleep with their parents for some years or should we def have them seperated ASAP?

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Its totally up to you. I know families where they cosleep and all is fine.

It doesn't suit us - my child sleeps better when undisturbed. Our late night movie watching on screens will disturb her. Plus e wake up early and that disturbs her too. So she sleeps alone as it's better for her.

anika987 likes this.