1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Positive parenting

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swt.charu, Mar 8, 2016.

1. shree2301

shree2301 New IL'ite

2. shree2301

shree2301 New IL'ite

Though I don't post regularly in this site this topic made me do it. I am a mother of 3.8 years old daughter and these tips helped me.

Actually parenting is an art and it has to be mastered carefully.

1. Children tend to throw toys here and there and they make the house a mess. Other than yelling at the child and saying "you do it" , we should practice saying "why dont we do it" or "come, lets clean it together". Later they will learn to do it by themselves.

2. Regarding the daily chores like brushing and taking bath, all these needs constant reminders. They will take lot of time for completing it also. My daughter used to take lot of time for completing all these finally i decided to set alarm for completing the task. For example : 5 minutes for brushing her teeth. Before the alarm buzzez she has to be out. This will help them for time management also.

3. Children can be given small responsibilities. By completing it they get a sense of accomplishment. And they start feeling that they are also important in the family.

4. Based on their age task can be decided by parents. We can even put up a board for them. Example: Monday Task XXXX . Once they complete they can put a tick mark against the task. Trust me children dont like to fail, and completion of small task will also boost their confidence. If they dont complete it, talk to them and find out the difficulty which they have in the task.

5. We should allow our children to try new things. Its okay even if they fail. Lots of lessons can be learnt from failure. We should not stop them, because that will kill the childs curiosity.

6. When they fail dont keep nagging on that issue. When they suceed dont over praise them. Too much of any thing is bad. Never critise the child just talk about the task and leave it at that. We should understand that WE are also not PERFECT.

7. Last but not the least. TALK TALK and TALK to your child. This helps in building a positive relationship between the child and the parent. They should know that even if they are wrong there will always be a caring hands to HUG

3. shree2301

shree2301 New IL'ite

4. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Dear parents, I have a 2 year old son who is very sweet and easy to manage. There is just this 1 thing that he spills water whenever he gets a chance and happily says see I wasted water.. How do I change this habit? He otherwise listens to us when we say no.

5. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Dear parents, I have a 2 year old son who is very sweet and easy to manage. There is just this 1 thing that he spills water whenever he gets a chance and happily says see I wasted water.. How do I change this habit? He otherwise listens to us when we say no.

6. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

7. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

Never say No to what they say or decide for them.. talk to them in friendly way about the consequences of both doing and not doing something. With this they will be able to decide for themselves what is right. They will learn how to make decisions. This will go a long way in their lives..

swt.charu likes this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That is actually cute to imagine.. :)

Many such things are a phase. They pass. Doesn't look like he is trying to get attention, as he otherwise is easy to manage. You could try not reacting when he spills it. Just set aside a cloth or towel that he uses to mop up the water, by himself. And maybe have him sit and look at the moist area till it dries up. :)

If it persists beyond a few more weeks, you could try something like a sticker chart on the fridge. If he doesn't spill water between wake-up and nap time, one sticker. Between nap-time and night bed-time, one more sticker. Positive reinforcement, rather than negative.

He is too young to understand the concept of 'wastage' and that there are people who walk for miles to get a bucket of water.

I just recalled.. I used to give my kid a vessel filled with water, and smaller bowls to pour the water into using different sized spoons. He/she on the kitchen floor, engrossed for quite a while, and i can get some cooking done.

KashmirFlower and swt.charu like this.
  9. Kukudukuu

Kukudukuu Silver IL'ite

This is a great idea..he has reduced it now.. one of us is always with him and make sure he doesn't find something that he can spill..so it is passing by as you said..I should try the spoon and bowl trick with him..

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My daughter is 2, and she does exactly the same thing every day. Seems this is the recent habit that she has copied from someone, and she enjoys that.
    Instead of stopping her, I just let her do the water play outside of the house (at the car parking area). She is too happy when she is allowed a bowl and mug to sprinkle the water as she likes. I take videos of it, and keeps it as a memory.
    If she does the same inside the house, I ensure i have a cloth carpet somewhere to absorb the water. What else could be done with small kitties like them?

KashmirFlower likes this.