1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

PONNIYIN SELVAN - End of Part I - Some Thoughts And Acknowledgements!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, May 25, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

With this week's posting (Chapters 56 and 57) we have come to the end of the First Part. We commenced this journey in October 2010 and it has taken about 8 months for us to reach this point.

There are four more parts to this epic novel. After a gap of about three to four weeks we shall resume our journey and see more places, more characters and learn something about life, the basics of which have not changed much in the last thousand and odd years.

I will have to concede that I could not attract as many people to this story as I do to my other blogs and serials. The fault lies squarely with me and not with Kalki.

I also have a mild feeling of guilt that I have tarnished Kalki’s image by my lousy translation. And the only consolation I have is the flowing fb I have been receiving from the few ardent followers of this story.

Let me dedicate this story to them, to their sincerity, to the time they have invested and to the kind words they have for every chapter of this story.

While I am not so hopeful that some others might join us in this long journey I request you, dear readers of this epic, not to quit, for you are my only hope.

Anyway I am planning to give a synopsis of the First Part so that anybody who has not read these 57 chapters can join us for the rest of the journey.

I have been a counsellor of sorts all my life. And in that capacity I want many of you to join us in this journey not because you will know about the history of this country, but because you will have an insight into the workings of human mind.

If the First Part of this epic was called The New Tide, the second part is named, The Whirlwind, suggestive not only of the nature of the events but also of ther speed. This Part has 53 chapters which we might cover over a period of six to eight months starting somewhere in June 2011.

When I started this work some of my friends and my Teacher offered to review the work before it is published. But over a period of time it became very difficult for me to follow up with these busy people.

I badly wanted an editor who has an eye for detail. The editor should know the nuances of the language and should have the courage to pull me up when I am tempted to go ahead with a literal translation.

And should have the Himalayan patience while dealing with the half-baked work of a start-up writer.

I placed this impossible prayer at the feet of my Lord fully aware that nothing short a miracle could help me. And my Lord who is never tired of surprising me with His miracles answered my prayers.

A member wrote to me pointing out some errors in the posting. I corrected those errors. And soon she pointed out some more errors.

This time I woke up. I now knew she was the answer to my prayers. I requested her to be my editor and she agreed.

From 9th chapter to 57th we have been adopting the same procedure.

I will first translate the chapter, keep it in cold storage for a day or two, read and review it again before mailing it to my editor.

She will go through the chapter line by line, word by word, punctuation mark by punctuation mark, and make a lot of correction.

Many times the corrected chapter would have more of red letters than black ones, an index of the mistakes committed by yours truly.

Then I will go through the corrections, agree with some, disagree with others, write my comments and send it back. She will review it once again and send it to me.

This process will be repeated 3 or 4 times. For instance the 56th chapter posted today is the 7th version.

When my editor was planning for a vacation in January we started building up buffer chapters so that there will not be any gap in posting.

Even while she was on vacation she did manage to edit a few chapters and keep the story flowing without interruption.

She of course negotiated a stiff price for her work. Yes, she made it a condition that I should not disclose her identity to others.

That to me was really a price I could not afford. For me an unacknowledged debt is the biggest burden.

As we finalised the last two chapters I almost begged with her through mails and chats to let me disclose her name. Only two days back she relented.

And now therefore with a heart full of happiness and gratitude I do hereby declare that the person is none other than our dear knot2share.

Please wish her. Please bless her. And do join us in this epic journey.

Similar Threads
    1. curlytweethere
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. curlytweethere
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. gayababu
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

OMG Sridhar..... I never expected this....This was a perfect jolt for me... So madam K2S was behind the scene all the time....in other words..."the heroine of the back stage".

Sree (K2S): It was a stupendous job making us readers never know the shortcomings in this great serial. Magnificent job Sree...all kudos to you. Though I had given all (wrong) clues to Sridhar about the editor, he never revealed your name....Sree. I really don't know how to thank you, my limited vocabulary fail me.

Sridhar: I never dreamt that it was K2S behind the scene as she seldom visited this blog nor gave the fb...to be very frank I was missing her in the site too. She has really done a superb job. Now coming to your translation part....you have completely done justice to what Kalki wrote... no doubts on that. Though I have missed giving my fb for some episodes due to personal reasons but I have been one of the first who reads PS without fail. I would be there with you for the rest of the journey...HM willing. I should reiterate here this has been a wonderful journey till now and I eagerly look forward more.

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    Your journey has been going on great ..no doubts in that you are excelling with every chapter, with every verse in fact!

Though I had stepped in late almost when you were writing the last few chapters of this first part..whatever I read did take me to the place of the happenings..sometimes I was being seated on the banks of Cauvery, sometimes standing beside Nandini, at times at the battle-fields...

Wow! Sir you certainly have done justice to the Classic!
    Regards & love,
    Saras.

Dear K2s,
    Hey! congrats for the wonderful job..it was indeed a surprise for me as LS has put it you never would even visit this space..literally we had no clues. Thanks to Varalotti sir..that we've come to know about 'the editor with an eye for fine details':cool2:
    :cheers
    Saras

4. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Congratulations Sridhar and Knot2share !!! This has been an excellent journey. Many thanks to the efforts you both are putting into this. But for you, my wednesdays would be any other day.. with this epic a wednesday is an eventful day for me... a real rollar coaster ride. I am enjoying it thoroughly..

I can't believe its 8 months since this journey started..I wish you all the very best for the rest of the work...

"While I am not so hopeful that some others might join us in this long journey I request you, dear readers of this epic, not to quit, for you are my only hope."

NO WAY Sridhar !!! I only hope and pray that you don't choose to quit giving us this joy.... there were few episodes i remember when you were contemplating quitting.. honestly Sridhar... I was furious... quite literally.. then I realised how foolish I was..after all you are teh best judge.

Once again... Thank you very much for all the time you invest in this...

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

So the secret from the Pazhaiyaarai garden has been revealed :). And you must be relieved too. Thank you for that grand introduction Sji. This feels very uncomfortable right now :) and I have no clue what to say. I am honoured to be part of this great journey and happy to help as much as I can with my limited knowledge and for as long as you wish me to. I have said this before too but let me say it again. It is your big heart that you are open to suggestions and changes from a third person. Translating this work is not an easy job as many would know. The number of words being churned out by yourself for each chapter is no jokes and so errors creeping in is very natural. I have not read PS in tamizh and I think that is an advantage of sorts. I get to read the chapters before anybody else does! I have only enjoyed this assignment so far and I am learning a lot from this experience. Even that is not easy because I have to make sure that I don't make the chapter sound more like 'knot2share'. That is my challenge with every chapter. The easy language style you adopt in your writings should not be lost with me poking my nose in it. All in all - an opportunity of a life-time and I am glad that I am part of this. Thank you for choosing me and trusting me and my instincts. I do not want to disappoint you and hope I can keep up to your expectations. For this I surely need your support and encouragement. And that is my only wish.

Please don't feel disheartened and do not stop this work. We have completed Part 1 and a big congratulations to you on this achievement.

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Lalitha
    Not sure if I can call myself heroine, but I prefer to be a backstage artist always. That is my style and very comfortable with it and that is why I struck that deal with Sji. But then I gave in finally. Thank you for your kinds words of praise. He did mention to me about the different clues you gave him and about the emails and messages he received from many asking about who this person is. I am learning a lot from this experience and am happy to be part of a mega project. But let us all not forget that the main player is the translator himself. So thank you once again to Sji and to you Lalitha for your wishes.

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Thank you Saras dear! I really appreciate your wishes. I need to thank Sji for keeping this all to himself till now. I owe it all to him. Don't call me editor please. That weighs very heavily on me at the moment. Just another pair of eyes to help!

Hello Swt.charu
    Even I can't believe that it has been 8 months since this started. Time surely flies. Thank you very much for your warm words and yes, we do need all of your support to continue and complete the project. More so for Sji, because he is doing all the hardwork. So a constant support goes a long way for the writer. Appreciate your support and regular feedbacks. I do read all the feedbacks posted on the chapters!

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sridhar,
    At last you had 'share'd the name of that invisible person, till now..
    As I haven't read Ponniyin Selvan before...I am making it a point to read it through your words, go ahead...:thumbsup:

Suspense nalla maintain panneenga...idhuvum edited version a :)

K2S, true to your screen name, you don't want to share your name here...too bad..:-( Sree...
    Hats off to your work..really we appreciate it a lot!

sriniketan

9. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

Dear sir, First of all let me apologise.. I have not read this blog of yours and I know I am such a fool... Now I realize you have put so much effort here for us ILites. Hats off to you... I never knew that there were so many editions for this blog. A big bow for your efforts, patience and selflessness.:bowdown I am making a promise here and that I am going to read all your PS blogs from now onwards.. I dont want to miss it and make a mistake again.

Now coming to k2s.

Dear dear k2s, What should I tell you? I am searching for words. You are lucky enough to be the first person read these blogs and let me say you deserve it dear. You have the potential. You are such a good hearted person.. You didnt want the limelight and were in the back stage even after doing such great work... kudos to your modesty...

Dear sridhar sir and k2s, congratulations on completing the first part. I am going to join you all for the rest of the journey :)

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

idhuvum edited versiona - haha! I loved it Sri. I am curious what Sji has to say on this. Thank you so much for your wishes and enna panrathu..such a spoil sport I am!

Dear Vidya
    I will draw inspiration from your confidence in me. Thank you for appreciating. Now the pressure is even more :). Very glad to hear that you will be joining everybody here. A thank you for that promise.