1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pls answer my query about food for kids during stomach upset

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Veenaru, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Veenaru

Veenaru New IL'ite

Hello!
    My 2 yr old son is sick having diarrhoea since 3 days. He started to vomit as well in the initial few days. Thankfully vomitting is stopped after I stopped giving him milk.
    I understand that yogurt rice is good remedy for diarrhoea. First day since he was vomitting he wasn;t able to keep in the curd rice. Now that the vomitting is stopped I am not sure if I can give him curd rice. He doesn;t like plain rice with just salt. Also I think I should not add Parupu (Dhaal) to rice. He is just living on Toast, Banana and juice. I feel that he is getting better as I don;t see watery motion all the time.
    Can anyone clarify from your experience if curd rice should also be avoided as curd is one of the diary product? Any other food that I can give him..like pasta. If pasta is suitable, can I add tomato sause to boiled pasta, as I am not sure if my kid will have pasta just with salt added.
    Any other suggestions wrt food when the kid has diarrhoea? Pls advice. I am sure your replies will help me out.
    Regds,Veenaru

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

From my experience , Banana is the best fruit/food during diarrhea.
    Don't give him pasta, tomato sauce etc etc since that is acidic and it will upset more. We might think the child is going empty stomach and worry but understand the fact that the body is rejecting food.
    Also watch out if he is throwing up too much since that could be a stomach bug. Curd rice is fine ONLY IF THE CURD IS NOT SOUR.

See a doctor soon.

Hope that helps and all the best.

3. Veenaru

Veenaru New IL'ite

Thanks for your timely response. I will not give him pasta as suggested. I have seen a doctor and it looks like he has got infection. He is feeling better today. Hopefully he will recover soon

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I think you son is down with the virus (gastro enteritis). My son too had it during christmas time when he vomitted and had severe diarrohea. The doctor told me to give lots of fluids, diary was accepted too, no citrus fruits but otherwise whatever he felt like eating. He too said banana was the best to fight against.

I see you live in London. Do you get those special kid's teas (like fennel tea or fruit tea)? i used to give those for my son.

Latha

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

BRAT diet or Banana, rice, apple and toast is the recommendation here too. The rule about dairy is that some children get secondary lactose intolerance after diarrhoea and need to be lactose-free for a while, I am sure it had nothing to do with vomiting. If you can dilute the yoghurt to "butternilk" (not the European buttermilk) but add matching quantities of water and a bit of salt and hing to taste, it's a good way to re-hydrate. If it is live culture yoghurt, then some of the gut bacteria will get repopulated helping your child to back to normal soon. If that's not working, you could always just give a probiotic. Hope your LO feels better soon!

6. Veenaru

Veenaru New IL'ite

Thanks for your suggestions Latha. I have not come across such a kind of tea. Will look for it in the supermarket tomorrow. Since my son was very adamant today to have milk, I gave him tea but adding only few mls of milk and a very lillte pinch of tea powder, sugar. Wondering if there is any alternative for milk when the kids cannot milk. Can we use Soya milk in place of normal cows milk?. Also if the teas that you have suggested, are they like juice? pls reply..

7. Veenaru

Veenaru New IL'ite

Happy to see your response and suggestions. I have been giving my son buttermilk rice and so far so good, he is seem to be recovering. I had asked a question about alternative to milk in my other reply which I hope you can see as well. If you have an answer, would be great if you can share..
    Regds,Veena

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

we get fennel tea which is good for digestion. The fruit tea is simply dried, dehydrated apples, strawberries with pepper mint that is to be soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and the decoction is had. It is for children so no caffeine. It is not the same as our tea which is black tea. It'll not be sweet (herbal teas) but you can add honey. When they vomit, juice or water can put them off but they need to drink fluids right. So this tea given warm is very much liked by my son.

I wonder if your son will like soy milk.. mine doesn't. Buttermilk (yogurt diluted) like Tikka says is the best option. Else you should try giving milk as milk shake with banana in it:)

I give couple of links: Salus is a german brand and looks like it's available in UK

Salus House Organic Fennel Herb Tea Bags (15 Bags) | Salus House | Herbal Tea Bags | G. Baldwin and Co. | Herbalist UK

Herbal Teas - by whitewolf - Gaia's Garden

Latha

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Soy protein can also be a little heavy on recovering tummies especially if you have not already tried soy products. How about almond/rice milk or rice milk products. I am told there are yoghurt and desserts based on rice milk. (We unfortunately are not big fans here of any kind of milk)

10. Veenaru

Veenaru New IL'ite

Hi Latha and Tikka, Many thanks for your replies. i will try the items suggested. My son is back to normal now and I have slowly started to give him normal cows milk only. Many thanks for your timely help.
    Regds,Veena