1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please give a suggestion about sending 21months old to day care

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by harinideep, Jan 16, 2016.

1. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi ,
    My dd is 21 months old . After my maternity leave , I took long leave and then put my resignnation . I came to usa when she was 15 months old .
    Since I had a h1 which was not utilized , I can now try for jobs here .
    The problem that I face is , I am feeling very scared about day care .
    Few people are telling me that their kids become very sick when put in day care . Can you please tell your opinions on how is day care in USA .
    ( I dont want to depend on either parents for taking care of baby )
    Also she is very very attached to me . Even if I leave her with my hubby, she will search for me within 5 mins . She wants to be with me all time . When I cook , she plays with vessels ,sitting next to me . So I wonder how will she manage if I send day care.
    But the worst fear is about her health . Will they get very sick if we send to day care . Please put in your thoughts and experience so that it will be helpful for me

2. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

We were just discussing something similar on another thread. Since your LO is almost 2, she should be able to adjust fine in child care. I wouldn't worry too much about her getting sick. Being in day care just means that since your LO is surrounded by all those little children, she might just have a few extra colds or infections in a year. Just make sure she gets her flu shot and that will be one less thing to worry about. Both my sis in law's children started day care when they were 2 and they did just fine.

Another thing you could do is to try and look into other alternatives besides day care. You might be able to hire a nanny to come to your home (since its a familiar environment your daughter might feel more comfortable), or there might be licensed in home day care set up that take only 2 or 3 children (fewer children means more personal attention and less chances of her getting sick). Another great option is a Montessori school since they take children as young as 18 months.

Do some research online, check reviews, tour the place and talk to the people there before you enroll your child so you can put your mind at rest that your child is at a good place. Also start slowly by leaving your child with her dad first for a couple of hours while you go out (don't stay in the house where she can come find you :)). And then once you have found a place, start her out slowly there as well, a couple of hours a day at first etc.
    Hope everything works out well for you!

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP
    I understand your fears. When my Lo was born, I was scared to death at thought of daycare and getting sick everyday stories. At last minute, we decided nanny, then went to daycare at 1 yr age.

Here is my experience with daycare..

We started at 1 and now she is 18 months when we decided to take her out temporariry and we put her back in once she is 2. At 18 months, she is super active and need constant attention. She wants to be out, interact. Daycare at this stage is doing good for her. She learn a lot and do lot of activities - book reading, paint.

They do get sick a lot.... A LOT. Till home she got sick only once where she caught from me. Now, she gets cold/cough/infections after every 2 weeks + 1 week recovery + many times doc visit. That her cycle so after 3 weeks of healthy baby, me and H talk its almost time and next day she will start blowing nose.
    So she brings home all kind of germs, and first to get all kind of disease spreading in class.

Many things are part of her growing up and daycare can not be blamed. Her eating habits completely changed. She does not eat at daycare and does not eat at home hence other health issues. Also days she goes to daycare, she pees so less and mostly dry diapers inspite of additional water instructions. She does not touch milk at daycare.
    During her 8 mon, We might have seen doc 20 times, she dropped each single time and have become lean ( still normal) but her ped is now concerned.up.

I am really dreaded at thought of her at home all the time as now she is exposed of surroundings. I know she is going to miss all that fun. Its like a trade off of health and other development ( social etc)

I am not scaring you but telling u my story. so you have to decide. In my opinion, if you are still at home and plan for daycare, start with few days first.
    If you can afford both ( part nanny, part daycare) that is best.

This is right age for daycare. Me and H often think talk, we should have kept our LO at home that time ( when at 1yr) and started daycare at about this time. One more thing, to get her sick less, start at spring/summer time. so depending on your location, you can wait 3-4 months, she will 2 and weather will warm up.
    Kids love outdoors and at daycare they do lot of stuff outdoors.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@harinideep,

I understand what you are going through, as a mom this is quite common. My DS is 19months old and is going to day care since 12 months. He is also very attached to me and needs me for everything.

DayCares are hub for viruses and kids get sicks very offer and as for my experience 1st 2-3 colds are really bad and slowly they start building immunity. DayCares in US are professional and take of kids wells. Some day cares might be exceptions.

Since you have not started work yet, I would suggest get her used to daycare first and then start your work. Spring and summer time is best to start as they have lot of outdoor activities. If you have questions or suggestion always talk to teachers and
    tell them about ur DD that is always helpful.

All kids are different, some do well as home and some like daycare/outside, just watch your kid and decide what is best for her.

5. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

since u r not working now u take care of u'r baby u'r self that is best and u can continue the job search after u'r baby joined school