1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please Advise Me On What's Bothering My Husband.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by apuviki, Sep 6, 2016.

1. rrpprrpprrpp

rrpprrpprrpp New IL'ite

Here u need to question yourself what makes you to stay in this relationship?
    1.Parents force ?
    2. Society fear if divorced
    3. Fear of getting a good person if incase you choose to marry again
    4. Do u love him still??
    5. I are early to end this ? As I you are newly married ?
    6. Any insecurities in the mind?
    7. u still believe he loves you or you believing he may love you in future?
    8. U feared if you walkout of this relationship your parents fall sick and get disturbed mentally as your mom not keeping well??
    What's in this bothering you? I got to tell us.
    And importantly I am concern to know what is your parents stand in this?
    What is their opinion on this ? You are only kid are you feared of telling the truth to them? Have you told everything to them indetail? If not first yoU do this. Tell everything at least to your dad or mom..discuss the things what's going on in your life . They know what's good for their daughter...

2. Kanthimathi79

Kanthimathi79 New IL'ite

hi,
    I would suggest u take a break from him. Stay away from him for sometime. This will give clarity to you if this is really a love is what you are having. Let your studies be your first priority. Finish that. If your husband "REALLY" likes you, he might comeback to you. If not please let go this relationship which is not adding any value to your life.
    From your post it looks he is absolutely not interested in you ....he speaks to you only about his ex.....sorry i dont think you are a dump yard for all his emotions and to listen to his intimate moments with his ex...come on.... You are a PhD student... and first you should learn to LOVE YOURSELF and respect yourself. I am sorry if my post is very offensive..but i just couldn't stop myself

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I read your initial post and the latest ones too. It is very clear that your H has married you for different reasons other than love, affection, trust and respect.
    Now that he could not emotionally connect to you. More so, he can not connect with you, provided the dark events between the two of you. On top of it, his rude mom who wishes someone else as her DIL.
    It is nearly a year and you should be understanding what is exactly happening.

Even in the movies, the villains do not change or treat their spouses better. So, how come you expect such miracles in real life.
    How come your H will develop love and attraction in you?
    How come his mom can respect you?

I would advice you to leave this monster for good, even though you are an uneducated dependent village girl. Because as a woman, you deserve a better life. But in your case, you are an educated woman. You have the potential to become financially independent and demand a good respectful life.

What you gain by being sad, and taking all these abuse and getting used to such cruel environment?
    Of course you will get addicted to these abuses, and started to develop a very low self esteem. From that, you would be psychologically locked by the abuser. What happen next is known to all.
    As we read and witness in real life, the victims do feel that they sincerely love their abusers, that too unconditionally. So they will think about abusers POV, and blame themselves for the abuse.
    Their low self esteem will force them to believe that they are useless without their abusers around.
    They will long at least for the sight of the abusers and feel content if they are around. This way, they care less about the injustice made to their marriage.
    The major demand from a victim of such abuse would be to keep her spouse around. She would think, keeping him in life itself a great favor. So, she wouldn't care whether her marriage is consummated or there is love, respect, care and affection.

And of course, just like anything... you will get used to it.

Do you really need this?

If you feel you are already trapped into this, seek immediate counselling to get out of this.

sindmani likes this.
  4. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

@to all of you,
    my heartiest thanks for being there for me again. To answer most of your queries:
    I haven't really told A-Z to my parents about all that had happened between us after marriage. Especially my parents are totally unaware of the sick comparisons that my H did. Had they known, I'm sure my parents would be very much convinced to get me out of the marriage. And moreover, they have no clue about the physical abuse in detail as I have described in here. All they heard from my H when he phoned my dad was I was just slapped on my face (his parents know to the level you all know here). My dad has totally lost his affection and respect towards my H with what he heard on the phone. My dad keeps whining about the lack of respect my H has towards me for being money minded and asking 50-50 on dot, for slapping me and above all for sending me out of the house late in the night at 11:30. I have not disclosed most of the events to my family only because we were all entirely focused and badly stressed out about my mom's health. So there was no room for me to call them up and tell I'm living in hell. The only choice I had was to wait and see if my H will begin to accept the r'ship and start being a nice human and for the same reason I decided to give him the chance and went back when he called me again. Moreover, from the beginning I never had the urge to call my parents and tell about the issues also out of concern for my husband. I want him to be a well respected man among my family members and for that I tried my best to hide the issues from them.

I want to give my parents some more time to know about all that I went through as I really believe they deserve some peace for now. I was able to discuss about this to some length with my mom last night without going into details. I only pointed to her about his money-minded mentality and insensitivity towards me in most matters. She advised me to be focused on my PhD, finish it, get a job and be financially sound and independent first. And she asked me to give some time and space for him to see if he will reflect on all that had happened between us, and understand what went wrong and where. She thinks as there is no emotional connectivity for him towards me, he should probably need more time on himself to see if he really needs this r'ship. So the priority is to be focused on studies, and prepare for job-readiness. My mom doesn't want me to rush into a divorce ASAP only because the frequent court visits and their family dramas might affect my last year of PhD now. And she also holds some soft corner on my H yet and thinks he should be left alone for some time. I am hoping to submit my thesis by next Feb/March, exactly a year from now. And I am also increasingly convinced that his mom will go to any extent to ruin my life if I decide to file for a divorce now. I can no longer withstand her crass talks even for a second.

I honestly admit, I have a very strong sense of pity towards my H for his past. I can't imagine how as a human he was able to tolerate that his ex slept with one of his good friends. Dwelling into that he also fell ill for months and also lost his full time job. He overcame all that and was married to me after a year from their separation. There were many incidents when he had abused her to me, and even said she is the worst person he knows on the Earth. Yet, there is some strong unclear emotional quotient towards her (very unstable emotions, I agree). He had spent most of his savings, nearly 15000$ on her. He has bought a lot of luxurious items and had given cash whenever she asked for. After being blindly with her and being cheated, he is unable to believe any woman which he himself admits openly. At times he had told me openly that he is unable to bring trust on me only bcz his past fears keep coming in front of him. So during such times I honestly develop soft corner for him. But having been with him for some months, I have also felt real love for him during our rare good times. And those rare good moments make me yearn for more such times and eventually I end up convincing myself that let's give more time as it's too early to decide. And I also have this very strongly written into my head- his mom is poisoning his mind. Even if he does something for me out of love, she tries her best to stop him with her orders. If he doesn't listen to her, she immediately tells him that why spend on her without knowing if she will be with you forever or leave you exploited like your ex. When such statements get into his mind, my H gets jigged up. I understand physical abuse is not justifiable but I am just waiting to see if there will be any changes in him going fwd. If he doesn't understand the seriousness of the marriage in the meantime I think I will also be able to walk away without any regrets. I am already convinced that I have done everything beyond my capacity to make this marriage work. I see marriage as a serious business. I believe in God and I truly believe God arranged this marriage for some reasons. Whether it is to make me a strong person or to make us live destined to each other forever God only knows.

5. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

@penpaal no, im not pregnant. I don't have the trust and courage yet to get pregnant by him either.

6. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Good decision dear. Yeah concentrate on your studies and career . Don't take much stress or tension about your h & family . He has enough time to correct his mistakes.

In case if you are going to back for a vacation or anything with him(US or India ILs home) Make clear you won't pay half rent. You are wife not roommate .you are going there to spend quality time with him not as a maid. If he has any trust issues due to his past ,he better go for counselling and get it corrected . Learn to behave like a human being and yearn you back.

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, As much as I want to say there is a glimmer of hope, there isn't. Your husband may take yrs and yrs to reform himself . Your MIL will never let him change not to mention,your husband himself I don't think he wants to change. When its convenient to him he wants to be nice , which is what 1 time in 100 instances and rest of them he has to announce your intentions to MIL. He is hiding in name of MIL and your MIL hates you to core. Will this scenario change in future. I don't think so.

His ex cheated him its partly his fault. Who loans so much money to a girlfriend. If she didn't return first 1000$ he lent her, why make a fool of himself by giving her more.He is greedy to lengths of your MIL. Who asks his new wife to share expenses so early on in marriage. He was looking at you in the form of an ATM .

You are just postponing the inevitable. You are well educated to know the downhill road you are going on. Let your mom recover. For now you are bound for 1 yr and concentrate on that. For your husband , his time with friends is important, entertaining mom is important , spending time with ex girlfriend is important. Where do you fit into all this.

Didn't your parents ask around about your in laws and husband. Your MIL's loud mouth and vulgar behavior wud have come to light.

Education is to make better choices and open your eyes to the world. You are living in la la land of maybe husband will reform. I apologize but it breaks my heart to see your post and your in laws and husband's inhuman behavior.Do you want to expose your kids who may come one day to such lousy talk. Think and decide. Good Luck.

8. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I am going to deliver a tough love message. Sorry for my brutal honesty.

There is a reason why mother and son suspect that you are still around because you want to live the american dream. And that reason is quite clear - they have treated you as nastily as a man can treat his wife and a MIL can treat her DIL. But you are resolutely and stubbornly still in the picture despite them doing everything they can to chase you away. They know, as would any sane human being would, that any self respecting person would have left the scene. A man crudely describes sex positions he had with his ex, asks a non earning immigrant wife to split the rent, beats her up. His mother shares her bed with her son, calls you despicable names and humiliates you in your marital home.

Even women who had a love marriage would have snapped ties with such a man and his mother.

But here you are, painting a picture of a love sick puppy or someone who is deeply committed to the idea of marriage.

Let me just call it - this isnt love that you have for your husband. It is your low self esteem. Ppl mistake love to mean overlooking everything and having no boundaries. Such ppl have poor self image, have trouble respecting themselves or seeing themselves as worthy of respect from others.

Secondly, nobody respects a person who disrespects herself. It is but natural to assume that you value something more than your own self respect. That it could be true love is a distant second - cos he knows he has executed his actions meticulously not to earn love but to frustrate you and end this marriage. So naturally they assume you are so taken up by the idea of living in america that you are willing to forsake basic human dignity.

I will let you in on a little secret - you dont need him to land a U.S job. File for divorce in the U.S and your spouse visa will be valid until the divorce is final which cld be anywhere from 3months to 1 year depending on the state. Second it is unlikely that a man & his mother who can't wait to be rid of you would create trouble for you during divorce. Indian courts are fully on the side of women on this.

Until then, I would say that you are fully responsible for the disrepect you have brought upon yourself. For the bruises and scars you have gotten. This is not victim blaming. Had you left sooner as he and his mom wanted, or as your parents might have advised, you will not have faced this. But as kangana Ranaut says in Tanu weds Manu as she dances at her husband's remarriage - "Abhi to humein aur zaleel hona hai" (translates to - It has just started, I need more humiliation).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  9. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

@chocolate thanks for writing again to me. As much you think there is no hope, I have equally lost hope on him too. I have spent at least three months with him under one common roof and he still claims that he has no emotional feelings towards me and he believes it will just get build up in the process when we forget all that had happened and live together. He says it will usually take him a very long time to trust a person out of the fears from his past. If at all I consider that as a justifiable reason, I do understand that there is lack of empathy and respect towards me. While this was enough to act as the driving factors for me to ask for divorce, he started getting better after his mom's arrival. The more he saw her being rude at me, the more he started caring for me even in front of her. There were times when he gave her verbally back when she yelled at me. There were times he spent an hour on the phone arguing with his parents, as why he is not supposed to spend money/time for me. These incidents gave me some ray of hope at the end of the tunnel. While i also think that it maybe empathy and not love towards me when his mom was the villain, I at least saw the nicer version of him. With that hope, I have left the US.
    So @chocolate kindly voice your opinion on this, is it good to wait until a year to see if he will be a better person? I really believe this is the very last chance I'm going to allow. In the meantime i can also concentrate on my studies and finish it. If at all I run for the divorce, I'm sure his mom will make unnecessary issues that may hinder my studies. If he continues to be the same even after a year, I am sure I will be ready to walk without any regrets. If this appeals you, and others, I would be very pleased if you all could advise me on how to proceed with him and inlaws for the next one year. And yes, I won't be visiting him in the US, at least until I get a job there.

Thank you all for giving me immense strength and clarity. May God bless you all.

10. apuviki

apuviki Bronze IL'ite

@madras2018 I pretty clearly understand each and every word that you have nailed hard into my head. Absolutely, anybody who is standing in front of me would have thought of the same. In fact, my H himself had told that anybody in my place would have ran away and he doesn't understand for what reasons I'm adamantly staying there. I had to stay back in the US, only for these reasons.
    1. I didn't want to run home and cause more stress to my family when my mom was falsely diagnosed as being critically ill. I had no other option other than staying back in the US and hoping to see if there will be a miracle happening. I went to the US mid oct and had my return ticket booked for mid Jan as I was to going to give my exams in Feb. I thought of grinding my teeth and staying there until mid Jan and not rush to India and cause more mental agony to my family.
    2. The only set of people who were of a great help to me in those times were his own friends and their families in the US. They ran to our place for help whenever needed and there were kind hearted ladies who comforted me and gave me the assurance that their husbands will talk to my H and try their best to resolve the issues. While everybody works full time there were times when they spent resolving conflicts at our place until midnight. They were my biggest hope and support in the whole world while I was facing all this and they thought if I stay back until Jan, things might be getting better. But none of us expected that he would call his mom. Though everybody literally pleased him to not call her, he did because he felt he couldn't be with me alone in the house. As our honeymoon trip to New York was booked in Dec, it was everybody's hope that the trip might improve the r'ship level. Equally, I wanted to give the last shot of saving the marriage for good and decided to stay until my scheduled return.
    3. Honestly, I was battling each and everyday to see if there will be any miracle in our lives. My H and I were going through a lot until mid Dec and after NY trip we were getting better. He started respecting and caring for me. There was an incident when I was asked to vacuum the entire house on pongal day and he took the vacuum cleaner away from me to do the job. While his mom screamed at me for making her son do the work, he literally gave her back as he is supposed to share duties and doesn't want to be stereotyped men. That came in as a sweet surprise for me. These incidents started convincing me to be there to try if the marriage will work. I had a deadline in me, if there are absolutely no changes until I leave, I'm definitely walking away forever.