1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please advise , 4 month baby not drinking milk , striking ... suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by SDPNV, Oct 17, 2013.

1. SDPNV

SDPNV New IL'ite

Hi friends ,
    I desperately needed suggestions as my 4 month DS drinking mixed milk from day 1 (as my BM was low , FM was provided) he was drinking well both BM & FM till last 2 weeks but suddenly he refused to drink FM thru bottle (he used to bottle feeding) so we gave it thru spoon , screaming a lot he had it but last 3 days he is not at all taking BM also, it makes me worried very much ...
    he is taking milk for about 2-5 mts for every 6 hours , he got cold (& even me) we went to dr and he prescribed drops for my DS and tablets for me , still myself and he have some cold - i am surprised whether this strike is due to cold or something else like thristi (i gave bottlemilk before many at many times - now my MIL & mother scolding me for this purpose)

please please mummies help me out to come this situation
    (I have to go to work on this 28th - within this period i have to give him good alternative)

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It would most probably be because of cold. The milk intake is less when a baby suffers from cold. He might have diificulty in breathing while sucking (does not matter if it is bottle or breast). Have you tried feeding him after clearing his nose?

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I am pretty sure its because of the cold that he is refusing milk. Dont worry, he will be fine as soon as the clod goes away. When he sucking (bottle or breast), his mouth is engaged and his nose needs to be free for his to breath. Since he has cold, he cannot breath properly when drinking milk. Thats why he is so frustrated. My suggestion is to keep giving him milk in little quantities often until he gets better.

4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

May be his nose is blocked and if he closes his mouth(bottle or breast) then he cant breathe...babies are cleverer than we think.

If you heard of 'Nose Frida'...its a simple instrument to clear babies blocked nose, or anything similar. Please take him to a PATIENT doctor who will listen to you and give him something, you have to help him out of his situation....after he becomes well, let us know

1 person likes this.
  5. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

You are in quite stressful situation. Babies refuse milk/food from time to time. There is some name to this phenomenon. You speak(already did?) to your doctor and follow the advice.

If you are too concerned that baby is not getting nutrients at all, isn't 4 months OK time to start rice cereal? Don't parents in India give cerelac at 4 months?

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

If I had a million bucks, I'd bet it all on a little tooth popping out any day now. Have you felt his gums? Kids at this age often become irritable, go off their food, and develop cold symptoms because of teething.

Be careful of that spoon. You could be hurting his delicate/sensitive gums if a tooth is coming through.

What is "thristi"?

Don't let your MIL/mother put extra pressure on you at an already tense time. I'm sure they mean well, but honestly, yelling at a stressed out new mother is not at all constructive. Let them scream, but tell yourself that you are doing the best you can. Your son will be fine, I'm sure, as long as you consult a doctor when needed and apply common sense as necessary (the good ladies of IL are also more helpful, a lot of the time, than hyper-excitable MILs/mothers).

I hope everyone in your house feels better soon :)

1 person likes this.
  8. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

It's the evil eye, Ansuya !

OP, hope you guys feel better soon !

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks, SP! And here I was, thinking, what a lovely name, like Christy or Shruti... ;)

10. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Lol...names like disti,Tristi,savasan,Shikar...sound very appealing but with DANGEROUS meanings