1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

peer relation for a2 year old

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by harinivijay, Feb 14, 2007.

1. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i'm new to this group . i'm at stay at home mom for a busy toddler boy of two yrs old , living at auburn hills , michigan , usa.
    my kid is playing with me and my husband ( more with him) , and had a vocabulary of 20 words ...hes very active ...
    doctor says he has to mingle with kids of his age . unfortunately here we don't have kids in our apartment .
    in iindia,(pune -where i got settled from thanjavur) , there are lots of kids of his age , so no problem there . but we will be back only on june this year . between this time , i need him to have a play with his age group kids.
    even we arranged for a play -peer group with the friends here ...difficulty is he needs me or his father always and sticks only with adults ..thats what the doctor says its bad .
    please give me ur valuable suggestions of some day care details or some play group detailsin usa ....
    thanks,
    harini:2thumbsup:

2. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi ladies ,
    please advise me what to do with a 2 year old ???.i'm eagerly waiting for ur replies.:idontgetit:
    harini

3. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Harini,

Welcome to IL. Your son seems to be like a regular 2 yr old kid. Most kids that age are always clingy to their parents, particularly indian children because they dont get to interact with too many people here unlike India. My son was almost 2 1/2 when he started talking. I would suggest you look for a preschool which has 2yr old class. That way he will be able to go to school for a few hours and get to know other children. You can also try places like Rascals Gym or Gymboree where they have parent and child classes for young toddlers. Your child will have the opputunity to see and play with other children in your presence. You can also get involved in playgroups with other children of the same age. If you keep taking him to playgroups he will get familiar with some children and start playing with them and slowly he will start playing in your absence too.
    Good Luck.

Regards,
    Jothi.

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi Harini,

Check with auburn hills library, I know they have story times. Usually all libraries have some programs for children according to their age group.. Also I have heard that Bharathiya temple has some classes for kids, Not quite sure but U can call them and find out the details.. HTH!!

:)

5. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi Jothi , selvi,
    Thank u verymuch ladies for your reply . I just enrolled him in a class session for gymboree , let me see how he behaves in that .
    yes selvi, i'll enquire about in Bharathiya temple this weekend.
    hope to see this idea will work on him ...(i used to make friends with other moms and their kids , my kid is used to sit with his dad... according to him he behaves as if play groups are for his mom who's eager to talk ....pity on my side..ha!ha!:goodidea:harini:2thumbsup:)

6. harinivijay

harinivijay New IL'ite

hi Jothi ,
    thank u for ur suggestion . Gymboree has started working for my kid . he has started playing with the kids ,and very happy too.
    thank u once again.
    regards,
    harini

7. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Harini,

I am glad that gymboree is working for your child. I am sure he will get used to that and start loving his time there and eventually start playing with other children by himself.
    I am happy that things are working out...

Jothi.