1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

peer pressure

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi,

The very idea of "peer pressure" strikes fear in my heart. I think the same in most parents. Images of our kids following the crowd rather than remaining independent thinkers is enough to start any parent lecturing children about good judgment.
    But at the same time, the stress and tension the kids go through to be part of a group is enormous.
    I know peer pressure can be positive and negative. but how do we recognise and help our kids.

What do you do when you son/daughter comes home and says i want to have this because somebody in her class has it...
    I try to listen, then tell them their options available, and leave the decision making power in their hands.
    It starts from the same toy .. to the same car....:cry:

So all of you bring in your experiences and how you have tackled....so that we learn to gether...

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

This has not happened with my daughter's peers alone but also with the cousins. But what to do, me and my husband patiently taught her what is best for her and what she can have and when she can have it. This gives her a chance to think about the idea of her wants.

We parents have to be patient and help the kids decide upon the priorities.