1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Patience is but a virtue….

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by arch1209, Sep 16, 2012.

1. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Patience is but a virtue….
    Patience is not one of my fortes well that is what mom told me and so did dad for 24-years and I agreed with them…But it took marriage to make me realize that I do have tons of it and now I constantly tell myself, “how the hell did I just shut up and not react at that long range missile….” But then marriage makes everyone wiser….
    Coming back to patience it really is a virtue, someone said this, I don’t know who, I think I have never had it because I hated all the activities for which one needs patience I hate it…
    Exhibit 1 – shopping, especially shopping with mom “We will go to the market and see what we want to buy” I do not understand the logic behind this… You go to the market when you want to buy something, you don’t go to ten shops and then decide what you want to buy, for some reason my mom and sister adhere to the second principle.:bonk
    Exhibit 2 - Frying pakoras – I totally detest it, the first batch will be perfect, but the remaining I cannot even tell you the pain I go through while I am standing patiently waiting for them to turn brown….. :drowning
    Exhibit 3 -Losing those last few pounds – Do I need to elaborate on this one, I think most readers here know how stubborn those last few pounds/kilos are….They make you regret for having that last scoop of ice-cream, because no matter what you do those last few kilos/pounds love you so much so that they refuse to go, in fact they behave like the Mil :rant
    Watching cricket – I am still trying to understand why would one spend hours watching a game of cricket:rant when we all know that it is fixed. And another grouse I have it with is, how some of us confuse cricket with patriotism and nationality….to all the white people who ask me, you are from India and you don’t like cricket (there are many of us and I am hoping our tribe will increase).

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Arch dear good analysis about Patience.

Consider the hour-glass: There is nothing to be accomplished by rattling or shaking; you have to wait patiently until the sand, grain by grain, has run from one funnel into the other.”

~ John Morgenstern

2 people like this.
  3. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

Patience—the ability to put our desires on hold for a time—is a precious and rare virtue. We want what we want, and we want it now. Therefore, the very idea of patience may seem unpleasant and, at times, bitter.
    Nevertheless, without patience, we cannot please God; we cannot become perfect. Indeed, patience is a purifying process that refines understanding, deepens happiness, focuses action, and offers hope for peace.

2;—patience requires actively working toward worthwhile goals and not getting discouraged when results don’t appear instantly or without effort.

3;patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!
    Impatience, on the other hand, is a symptom of selfishness. It is a trait of the self-absorbed. It arises from the all-too-prevalent condition called “center of the universe” syndrome, which leads people to believe that the world revolves around them and that all others are just supporting cast in the grand theater of mortality in which only they have the starring role.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Arch,

A good review on patience. Patience can be a virtue at many times. In life, whether we like it or not, patience is imposed upon us. We just have to wait and wait...and wait and wait till things happen. That does not mean that there is a reward at the end of it. But even to know what awaits us, must have patience!

Since there is no choice is given and patience is a must, most of us tend not to be patient when it comes to little insignificant things. I want to eat that ice cream now, yes I will eat it Now! Want to buy the red pair of shoes today, go buy today, the joy is palpable and all its worth! So, I really don't grudge when one wants to indulge oneself on small little pleasures for the big things and plans in life are usually monitored by powers beyond our reach. Patience is then a blessing indeed.

As for frying pakodas.......be happy with the first batch and let the others fry...what say you? :rotfl

L, Kamla

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Arch,

Patience and perseverance go hand in hand together. When we have patience to handle a situation and we need to have perseverance to continue to work. Patience becomes valuable when it is associated with perseverance. In a marriage, we all know patience becomes handy when there are differences and perseverance helps when our effort is constantly to build a lasting relationship that is based on unconditional love.

Only caution here is about what Kesaven pointed out. We should know the difference between patience and lack of action. When it is a question of righteousness, the action should be instant and immediate. Sometimes, our biggest strength is also our weakness. We can't apply patience to everything in our life. To a large extent, culturally, we have a lot of tolerance and sometimes we tolerate injustice also with a lot of patience. Once we learn to discriminate between when to apply patience and when to act to raise our objections to injustice, our life will get better.

Yes. Patience is virtue only where a situation passes the test of morality.

Viswa

6. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

arch1209, we both are of some group folks buddy...:cheers:cheers. Patience can never be associated with me.

Your point 1 & 4 - Exactly like me. I hate shopping. Now-a-days my family left me, they dont even ask me whether I would accompany them to shopping.

And Cricket - Godddd.. I just cant watch a single match completely. Only at ending if its a tensed match, I do watch. But otherwise No way.

But what I feel is, If we like something, all the patience & preservance will come by default. Because I can watch a tennis match continuously even for 7hrs.:)

7. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arch1209,
    Enjoyed reading this post and have some answers of my own which I give below:
    1. I too am of that type, unless being drilled upon whats really required NOW. More than what we buy, it gives more happiness that we go for buying something. :)
    2. Pakoras - golden brown or black - Never mind - I gulp them all [linked to my size perhaps?]
    3. Leave alone the last few. I am yet to find a way to reduce the first gram of my ever so little overweight. Who defined the BMI ratings anyway?
    4. I am an ardent fan of cricket too, but do not confuse patriotism with it. And though proved in a couple of cases, I don't believe any and every game is rigged.

And coming to the main topic -
    "Have a little patience, dear!",
    My mom said once again.
    I couldn't take her words then!
    And retorted once again.

When what you want is not given
    To you when you were desperate
    You feel dejected and hence driven
    To abuse even your dear ones.

I got what I wanted then,
    But that lesson reached my head
    When I became a mom. By then