1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parallel Lines

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Jan 1, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Adharv

Thank you so much for your candid feedback. Thanks for liking my sketches.

Wish you a happy and prosperous new year.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well narrated, Geeta. The details and their conversations make it seem like you have observed this in a college or seen it happen to them. And a dignified ending. Actually, I felt there were two endings. One when they part, and another when they again part.

A man and woman in love. One of them has the good sense to recognize the wisdom of his mom's words: "An unrequited love story has a better recall value than a spoilt love story. Perhaps you are not meant to be together. Let go of her, gracefully." A mature approach to love and marriage. Nothing to do with egos.

And yes, Geeta, is there anything you cannot do well? : ) The cucumbers are in the fridge, gazing up at me whenever I open it, asking, "Hamara gojju kab banega?" : ) when will you make gojju?

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  3. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Loved reading , as with all your snippets!!
    Hopefully Avi is a lil bit selfless in a parallel universe :blush:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

Haha! Thank you @Rihana

You better make Gojju of them asap, otherwise, flavours will be compromised.

5. GeetaKashyap

Thank you @Endlesshope, for liking my work.

I guess a bit of selfishness is a practical survival need, but selflessness offers endless hope to relationships.;)

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

Jayasala mam, thanks for your visit. Hope you liked this story, I think you forgot to comment. Please feel free to comment, criticise or suggest any improvements.

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear madam, Wonderful narration.
    For me this does not seem to be a story, but a reality.There are many such girls who are prepared to sacrifice anything for some principle which they hold sacred to the heart.

This is a real life story of a South Indian Brahmin girl,a close relative of mine ,who stood State first in the school, got gold medal in her post graduation, extremely brilliant.
    He had an elder brother who got addicted to drinks and died at the age of 35.Somehow this brilliant girl had a prejudiced notion that all Tamil Iyer boys will smoke and drink.Her idea was to get married to someone who does not drink or smoke.
    He met such a person in Indian Insititute of Science,Bangalore.He was an average student but he had no vices as per her estimate.He belonged to a tribal community, the first graduate in their family.He was extremely calm and quiet and was struggling to choose a topic for Research.
    This girl voluntarily proposed to him.He said," I would be very happy to get married to a SSLC failed candidate of our community ,who is very homely and not to a highly
    qualified ,very intelligent girl of an upper class.There may be so many Ph.D s who are fair in complexion, equally brilliant to match your intellectual status .But she was adamant.
    But she handed over her semifinished papers to him ,guided him to finish off his Ph. D in 4 years, and then continued her research and completed after two years.The boy's father advised her.Her parents advised her.She didn't listen.Just by the threat of committing suicide she made him agree for the proposal.They went to US and got their wedding registered.She used to say to her parents,'even if you had sought an alliance, that boy would never match my selection'.
    They have a son 25 years old.He is also very soft.But the father unable to match his wife in brilliance got addicted to some evil habits, quite contrary to her expectation.Now she could neither manage togetherness nor get out of the relationship. She never visits India and didn't even attend the funeral of her father.Her son does neither like his father's habits nor his mother's super intelligent arguments.His stand is 'intellectual match is more important in marriage.He hates the way in which his mother forced his father into wedding net.He blames his mother entirely for the changes in his father's behaviour and the super intelligence has caused destruction of peace in the family'he laments.
    When I met him recently he asked me why I didn't take serious steps to advise his mother.
    Now the girl is in search of an Iyer girl from a poor family , moderately qualified for her son.How is it?

jayasala42

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

J
    Jayasala mam,

I was missing this response from you. You always have interesting anecdotes from life with a lot of lessons to learn in it. Thank you so much for sharing this life story.

Thanks for liking this story of mine. Your approval means a lot to me.

I have a request to you: please don't address me so formally, call me Geeta (without any prefix or suffix) and that would be wonderful. Thanks once again.

10. VinuthaS

VinuthaS Silver IL'ite

Very nice story.... was carried away with the emotions of the 2 characters... feeling sad as this was just a small story and not an episode with more coming next ...

GeetaKashyap likes this.