1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Painting Instructions & Links to online videos

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by Padmash, May 27, 2007.

1. hemaggar

hemaggar New IL'ite

2. poojaprasad

poojaprasad Gold IL'ite

Hey here is the link i found online for tanjore painting instructions...its a video with 10 parts on youtube...you can very much download these videos by simply going to keepvid.com.i hope it is helpful to u !
    YouTube - TANJORE PAINTING BOARD MAKING 2

Pooja Prasad :thumbsup

3. nehaja

nehaja Bronze IL'ite

hi ladies....
    I live in Virgenia(US). I am a great fan of Tanj..paintings .I want to learn it too.This site showed me various designs and required things but unfortunately I couldnt find some things like in which store I can get them.
    1. chart powder- I didnt find this any where. So alternate to this what can I use.
    2.Arabic gum
    3.emery paper
    4. silver /gold foil sheets.

Please by any chance if any one can help me, I will be pleased to know that and I can start making it.

thanking you in advance.

4. tarajyoti

tarajyoti New IL'ite

i want to know about tanjore painting ,wchich pattern will be used and how it will be doing

5. radhamicro

radhamicro New IL'ite

Re: Tanjore painting - share your experience

i am also like to learn Tanjore painting.

6. vijisathya

vijisathya New IL'ite

Hi

I am new to IL. I am very much intersted to learn tanjore painting. Can any one help me. In chennai t.nagar, mambalam, perambur, in these locations anyone is taking classes pls send me the details.(Even our IL members or readers will take classes that will be appreicated and good)
    Thanks

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Tanjore Painting Online Videos

Superb maddie!! thanks alot for this......i was searching desperately for some links which show how to make it...

any idea where can I buy these materials in USA?

8. madam

madam New IL'ite

hi sathya ,
    one of my neighbours told me that she learnt tanjore painting from a teacher in nungambakkam or choolaimedu.My friend has now moved to a different place.Her first painting itself was too perfect!!may be u can check with someone.

9. tanjorepainting

tanjorepainting New IL'ite

Hi this is raghu am from chennai doing tanjore painting for more than a decade and also teaching tanjore painting with the help of my team

there are 4 main stages

1 Board Preparation

this stage is main we have to take the size of plywood we need for the paintings, we need GADA cloth required size to cover the paintings, then we have to dip the cloth in the fevicol and water in correct mixture then we have to cover the plywood with the cloth, we have to use yellow gobi with calk powder to put coating on the board then we need emery sheet to make the board smooth

2. Muck Board stage

After completing the above step u can trace the subject which we want to do, the we have to use jaipur stones, the we have to mix the chalk powder in 3 types for various stages like liquid muck, semi liquid muck, and thick muck, first we have to use liquid muck and want to apply inside the sketch, the we use semi liquid muck to apply the relief stage of the muck and then, we use thick muck to do the designs

3. Gold Foil

we always use 24crt gold leaf, for this stage, and we use arabic gum to stick the gold foli, we have to first take the impression of the muck, we have to cut the gold foil with following with the impression of the muck, then by using arabic gum we have to stick the gold foil

4. Coloring

In this stage stages of colors we are using , first we use the base color and second stage we have to apply the light and shade of coloring and last stage includes ( indian ink, white dots background colors, saree designs etc...)

Raw materials required

1. Plywood (water proof)
    2. Gada Cloth (required size to cover the plywood u can get this from cloth stores)
    3. fevicol ( u can get it in Hardwares)
    4. Jaipur stones
    5. Chalk Powder ( u can get it in Hardwares)
    6. Gold Foil (beware of Synthetic gold foil)
    7. Arabic Gum
    8. Good Scissors
    9. Brush Size starts from 000, 0001, 1 2 3 4 5,
    10 Set of Poster Colors,

These are the basic and must raw materials required for doing tanjore paintings....

Careful in buying gold foil...

Practice well before going to work on the board, coloring u can take practice for 2-3 times in chart paper once u get familiar in coloring then u color in board

All the very best complete the painting and post in in thread

Thanks and Regards

Raghu :thumbsup

10. sangeesen

sangeesen New IL'ite

Re: Paintings : Tanjore Painting Instructions

Hi Anitha

Thanks for sharing. I tried to open the link and i am unable to find the document. Could you please attach the document in the forum.

Thanks for your help
    sangeesen

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009