1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overprotected

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by Tamrakshar, Sep 9, 2018.

1. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

“By the way, are you a divorce lawyer? “

No sir, just a woman ( mother, wife,, daughter, DIL).
    The reality of a larger section of indian society is that men are over protected and over pampered from ages up until today. You place the whole burden of maintaining the marriage on your subject, the wife. You also imply that she is unhappy because she was over protected, not patient enough and exited the marriage.
    I see many posts here of women that are in unhappy marriages . Some emotionally and physically abusive. Some of the reasons that these women stick around is for kids and Societal judgement. Your poem really perpetuates that judgement .
    I need not be a divorce lawyer to say that women that are in unhappy marriages should have the opportunity to leave. Any woman that does not conform to your old school thinking is termed a “ divorce lawyer”. That sir reflects your thinking.
    This is a woman’s forum. Please be responsible in what you put out here specially as a man. I am raising two boys as a mother with the intent that they will grow up to be open minded and treat women as equals. So please don’t classify me as being a “divorce lawyer “. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    ChennaiExpress and ashima10 like this.
  2. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

"The reality of a larger section of indian society is that men are over protected and over pampered from ages up until today."

Manisha, why are you hell-bent on making it a man-vs-woman issue? Generally speaking, you are right: percentage of overprotected and overpampered specimens is higher in case of men. Does that mean that I can not write a poem on a particular woman whom I know?

"You place the whole burden of maintaining the marriage on your subject, the wife. You also imply that she is unhappy because she was over protected, not patient enough and exited the marriage."

I reiterate, I have no intention to sermonize on marital matters. This not a divorce case that we are fighting in a court. This is just a poem, where poets are free to imagine. So, no question of putting the onus of divorce on anybody.

"I need not be a divorce lawyer to say that women that are in unhappy marriages should have the opportunity to leave."

No disagreement on this issue. My subject in this poem does not represent women in general. The percentage of overprotected, both male and female, is very low. They have certain advantages and certain disadvantages. Here, in my literary expression, I dealt with the disadvantage aspects. I really fail to understand why some of you are overreacting!

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. SinghManisha

Care to elaborate why you asked if I was a divorce lawyer ?

4. Tamrakshar

Well Manisha, since you insist, let me tell you that I found some qualities of a lawyer in you. I deal with a lot of lawyers, both from the High Court and the District Court. So, I have studied their nature. First, let me narrate the positive qualities of a good lawyer that you possess. You write correct English, but your sentences are boring. You don't use unnecessary trivialities, you are always to the point. Your arguments are cogent. Now that's the end of positives.

Now let me elaborate a quality that is more positive. You have the diabolical ability to concoct something, that is completely irrelevant, to obfuscate an issue. Observing these fine traits I thought you could an advocate.

Divorce lawyer means a lawyer specializing in divorce cases. But here I used it to mean divorce-loving-lawyer.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

Ok good. This confirms your misogynistic attitude.Thanks.

6. Tamrakshar

So, back to square one! Thanks to you for making this thread interesting.

Sunshine04 likes this.