1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Our Family Have Medical History Of Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by DavenaRosalie, Nov 8, 2017.

1. DavenaRosalie

DavenaRosalie Silver IL'ite

I read that mental illness tends to be hereditary. I am afraid that I will have to endure one or my children in the future. Is there anything that can prevent this?

2. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I dont think all mental illness are hereditary. But I heard Schizophrenia is. Are you talking about it.
    May be treatment on time and medicines will help.

sindmani likes this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Some mental illnesses are hereditary. It depends on the type of mental illness. Can you be specific?

There are resources available for people with family history of mental illness. You may want to ask your PHP for a bit more details on what help you and your child can utilize.

Here's a link to the Mental Health site Prevention and Early Intervention in Mental Health. This might be a good starting place.

The link explains in more detail, but basically developing a good framework in the four categories, can help prevent serious consequences of mental illnesses:
    1. Health - Maintaining good physical health can regulate mental illness symptoms
    2. Safe and secure environment - Maintaining a safe and healthy environment, free of fear and abuse
    3. Availability of resources - Having resources, support systems, counseling available at onset.
    4. Relationships - creating healthy relationships with people and community. Isolation exacerbates mental illnesses and their symptoms.

sindmani and Naari like this.
  5. DavenaRosalie

I'm referring to depression. My sister committed suicide due to this. My Mom had post-partum depression after giving birth to me. I joined some depression chat rooms and spoken with some other members to be able to learn their experiences.

6. faithgrime

faithgrime Senior IL'ite

I'm so sorry to hear that. There are ways to prevent depression, but the most important thing is to take care of yourself. make sure you sleep well, exercise, find passion in life, reduce stress, build strong relationships and a lot more. joining chat rooms is okay, it could help you learn more about depression

DavenaRosalie and BhumiBabe like this.
  7. DavenaRosalie

Thanks for your advice, faithgrime. I appreciate it.

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

PPD is very complex and I don’t think it’s heritability has been proven completely yet. Even though mental illness runs in families not everyone will inherit it. So don’t lead your life with the assumption that you are likely to suffer from it. Ofcourse talk to your doctor and take proactive steps in case you do feel depressed . Take care.