On The Ning Nang Nong

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Iravati, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Made in India

People complain of pollution, climate, traffic and other visible annoyances in India but skip the finer observations in an Indian trip. Below are not annoyances, but observations.

If there is no airbridge connecting the gate directly to the plane, there's always a shuttle to transport the passengers from the gate to the plane. There's a shuttle even if the plane is at a pebble's throw and the passengers could walk to the plane. Why do domestic planes have shuttles for such short distance? I mulled on it for some time. The crew is afraid that passengers will get lost in that few metres distance. The crew thinks that passengers will queue at the wrong plane in spite of a friendly signboard. Why a shuttle for such short distance boggles me?

On purchase in a store, you are asked your mobile number for billing. Why mobile number? Isn't mobile number a private detail? Since when did mobile number become a key identification in billing even in grocery stores?

I inquired, why mobile number?
    Mam, it is mandatory.
    But why?
    We will send you promotions.
    What if I don't need.
    Still, we need your mobile number as it is a mandatory field in billing.
    But why?
    That is how our software is designed.
    What if I am reluctant to provide my mobile number?
    Mam, it is compulsory.
    What if I don't own a mobile?
    Everyone has a mobile these days.
    Say, I am a monk from Varanasi who renounced material comforts.
    Then, we have a dummy number to key.
    Why don't you key that for now then.
    Ok.

I understand that mobile contact is used for unique lookup to refer to a purchase or service in their system and also that pesky marketing but I always assumed it was optional. Unless you press upon, they don't reveal that, yes, indeed it is optional.

There is no service tax for eat-in in bakeries and small restaurants. "Take away" and "food to go" are not universal terms, they are prevalent only in urban restaurants but at quaint restaurants, it is "parcel". I like that. Give me biryani for parcel.

Abroad, you will find an aisle saturated with toilet rolls suiting every fussbudget with various options of plies and quilts. You will find cute kittens and naughty dogs luring you to buy those fancy brands. In India, unlike kittens and dogs abroad, you will find plain and dignified brands. Cats and dogs are yet not competing models in Indian toiletry markets.

In hospital and pharmacy forms, you find questions like "Do you smoke", "Do you drink", "Are you married" Whereas abroad, the equivalent questions are "Do you smoke", "Do you drink", "Have you had sex". We say, we are progressive and modern but for that modernity to displace the ingrained puritanism would take several decades.

You still find instructions on how to use escalators and washrooms in India. With proliferation of escalators and western toilets, you assume such instructions are a rarity. On the contrary, even major airports have the friendly instructions. This tells that we are yet to fully outgrow our fear of alien imports.

upload_2017-9-15_15-36-48.png

These are not annoyances or put-downs. Just observations of an idle mind at airports and general stores.

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Recently I was on a French plane. And the bathroom had a good sized burgundy coloured bottle. It said "PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY". There was no other instructions to use that liquid. It hinted at vitality, freshness, and firmness. I could guess where it would go. But then, I wished they put out exactly how (where) it is used. I thought the aircrew may have already experienced one aunty who opened the door a slit, and yelled out for the help of a professional.
    upload_2017-9-15_23-57-55.png

There is such a lot to observe over there. You could write a serial.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

As Berra-isms go, this one is in quite good company.
    "You see, but you do not observe." - Sherlock Holmes, 'A Scandal in Bohemia'.

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

In popular culture, Voynich manuscript was relegated to those late night paranormal shows to insinuate its extra-terrestrial origins. I am glad that the manuscript has of late sustained grounded scientific backing, misleading or otherwise. The entire manuscript is available for download from Yale University's Beinecke Library. I haven't followed the twitter rebuttal on Gibbs' theories. But the bizarre pictures do have a faint resemblance to pregnant women bathing in green herbal slime. Gibbs' revelation that the book is a medieval rambling on sanitary upkeeping of women is not far-fetched. Say, if someone like me drew those sketches, then one's imagination is employed at full-hilt that even a dull bamboo will be recasted as a carnivorous plant from Tatooine. The Latin snafu on syntax is interesting! No one even knows if the manuscript is coded (to decipher) or written in a new language (to discern). Re: Historian and 'history researcher', looks like they are interchangeable. As the story is reported across various outlets, I have seen few citing "historian" for Gibbs.

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

On depiction of women in philosophical writing

Fred's amusing views on women are only a scratch but the poke is another German philosophy, that is, Arthur Schopenhauer's deep analysis of the psyche of a woman or a lady or how he distinguishes a lady from a woman. He is funny! He is vitriolic! Nevertheless he is sincere in his outlandish views on casting women as the scourge of the society. Nietzsche and Schopenhauer are the layman philosophers, as in, you can read their translated works with ease. I read Schopenhauer's Parerga and Paralipomena in English as Essays and Aphorisms. Take a look here. This is accessible to learn about the man's theories in a distilled form though his other book The World as Will and Representation is more popular. The chapters in E & A are reflective and witty (atleast to me). There's a chapter titled "On women" in which he writes ...

"As the weaker sex, they are driven to rely not on force but on cunning: hence their instinctive subtlety and their ineradicable tendency to tell lies: for, as nature has equipped the lion with claws and teeth, the elephant with tusks, the wild boar with fangs, the bull with horns and the cuttlefish with ink, so it has equipped woman with the power of dissimulation as her means of attack and defence, and has transformed into this gift all the strength it has bestowed on man in the form of physical strength and the power of reasoning. Dissimulation is thus inborn in her and consequently to be found in the stupid woman almost as often as in the clever one. To make use of it at every opportunity is as natural to her as it is for an animal to employ its means of defence whenever it is attacked, and when she does so she feels that to some extent she is only exercising her rights. A completely truthful woman who does not practise dissimulation is perhaps an impossibility, which is why women see through the dissimulation of others so easily it is inadvisable to attempt it with them. Women are guilty of perjury far more often than men. It is questionable whether they ought to be allowed to take an oath at all."

"Men are by nature merely indifferent to one another; but women are by nature enemies. Even when they simply pass in the street they look at one another like Guelphs and Ghibellines; and when two women meet for the first time there is clearly more constraint and pretence involved than in the case of two men: so that when two women exchange compliments it sounds much more ludicrous than when two men do so."

"Only a male intellect clouded by the sexual drive could call the stunted, narrow-shouldered, broad-hipped and short-legged sex the fair sex: for it is with"

"One has only to observe how they behave in the theatre or at operas and concerts, e.g. the childish unconcern with which they go on chattering away during the most beautiful parts of the greatest masterpieces. If it is true the Greeks refused to allow women into the theatre, they did the right thing"

These are the passages I highlighted at that time. Our Arthur may not be outwardly charming with two hair buns and an inborn scowl but he was a philanderer who took upon himself to examine women at close quarters. With such vehemence for women, no wonder he never settled with one and preferred a poodle named "Atma" (inspired by Eastern philosophy) as his faithful companion. Google honoured him as he would have preferred to be remembered, no women please.

upload_2017-9-15_16-46-47.png

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Khuda kare ki qayamat ho! Aur tu aaye?

That means let a catastrophe like Irma ravish and then Ira come.

Wah wah, what a kind welcome. I should wait for a Gomorrah or Galveston to wreak havoc and then make entry. Even with no knowledge of Sanskrit or Urdu hermeneutics , itna to samaj aata hai. And they say, friends say nice and sweet things to each other on return.

Meena Kumari in that intezaari song is wearing a kurti, a palazzo, and a duppata. Coincidentally, I have seen the return of such ethnic wear in India. Palazzo were last time wore with long kameez but now they are wearing with short kurti. It is difficult to catch up with Indian fashion trends. They are effervescent. I still wear my unfashionable dresses from a decade ago rolled and stashed in places that need a step ladder to reach. I wish there was an informative couture website that captures the timeline and expiry of fashion trends with alerts. Something like, please throw away your patiala salwars, they are out of fashion from this season.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dearest @Iravati

Do you like the smell of freshly mowed grass? A strong espresso? The aroma of curry leaves crackling in ghee? Tomato plant foliage? Anything that smells of roses? Chanel Mademoiselle? Are you smelling what I'm smelling?

Yes, I'm okay.
    No I haven't been sniffing anything.
    Yes, it is a literal test. Depending on the answers either you are my friend or you aren't.
    Yes, really!
    This is the truest test of everlasting friendship! (Everlasting meaning until the day of qayamat. The end of time. Those Urdu hermeneutics need some work.)

These guys say that friends are genetically similar and the similarity is significant enough to have been selected for via evolution. We share close to 1% of our genome with our friends and topping the list are the olfactory genes. It would seem that one of the ways we pick our friends is based on a shared preference for certain smells.

"Looking across the whole genome," said Fowler, "we find that, on average, we are genetically similar to our friends. We have more DNA in common with the people we pick as friends than we do with strangers in the same population."
    [...]
    "One explanation for this is that people with similar olfactory genes will smell things in the same way and so be drawn to (or repulsed by) similar environments. Some people are more sensitive to smells than others, and it seems that may have a significant impact on our social connections."

And next time I catch the sniffles, you better be ready with that chicken soup on the double. I'm not being being pushy. Nature intended it to be that way!

"The opposite pattern held for genes related to immunity -- friends tended to be less similar at those parts of the genome. It's not hard to imagine why. After all, if you're succumbing to an unpleasant bug, it would be great to have friends who are resistant to it and could help nurse you back to health."

As to the bazillion dollar question of how we suss out our friends, the friendly researchers are decidedly unfriendly. They haven't the foggiest -- body odor, pheromones, environmental cues, similar sensitivity to smells or temperatures, take your pick. Imagine meeting someone at the train station. "Cold day today." "Yeah man, cold day." "Hey wanna be friends? We share genes you know." Fool proof way to ensure no one ever sits next to you on the train again.

Seriously though, makes one wonder about the digital equivalent of the smell test? How do we pick our online friends? When words are the only cue, what draws you to some posters and makes you wary of others?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

More later, but for now...Do you like the smell of my potato fry? Cabbage with grated coconut? The aroma of curry leaves crackling in olive oil for sambhar tadka? Egg burji/scramble? Anything that smells of plain white rice. Are you smelling what I'm smelling?

Hour of reckoning for our amity.

upload_2017-9-17_18-57-22.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Gauri03 likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Mmmmm, yum! Olfactory overdrive! All of it looks delicious but that sambar! :hearteyes: Can I be your friend?

Been eating out of boxes of late. No time or energy to cook too much. Made some blueberry pancakes for the kids' breakfast. Not comparable to your princely feast but here they are.

pancakes.jpeg

10. Gauri03

Did you miss the thread on 'sarees with pants'? I kid thee not, it is a thing. Indian haute couture has long been the plain cousin of our traditional textile industry. The sheer variety of fabrics, styles, weaving and embroidery techniques, have always loomed large in so-called designer portfolios. Innovation in fashion has never been more than incremental. I'm thinking of the chudidaar -- salwar -- tights cycle, or sleeve lengths in saree blouses that go up and down every decade. Save your patialas. They'll be in before you know it.

Long ago my SIL introduced me to an Indian fashion blog that has the whole scoop on what Indian celebs are wearing. I'd forgotten about it until your post. The blog seems to have gotten an upgrade. Not sure about the content yet, but looks promising at first glance: Celeb Style - High Heel Confidential

I don't get an opportunity to wear too many Indian clothes and when I do, I invariably reach for a saree. But I like looking at the work of the new crop of Indian designers. There are some folks making absolutely lovely clothes that I'd have enjoyed wearing were I in India. I browse two online fashion stores that sell straight off the runway designer wear: www.azafashions.com , www.perniaspopupshop.com

If anyone knows of similar stores, I'd love to know their names.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017