Office Facilities - A Consideration For A New Job ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by madras2018, Feb 7, 2017.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

I am about to take up a new job in India and one of my considerations have been the quality of basic in-office facilities such as
    restroom and pantry/breakroom areas.

I dont fuss over the nice to have stuff like tt /foosball tables, gyms and tvs in break room etc.

But I do think twice about taking up a job where restroom facilities are not clean (or insufficient) or if they dont have tea, coffee and water dispenser in an easily accessible and hygienic manner. Messy stalls, open sugar containers, lack of a self serve coffee/tea machine, lack of microwave and a proper dining area are a big no-no in my book.

I have not had to worry about such issues when working in the west. But i am appalled at the dismal state of basic facilities even in large IT firms here in india. I am so put off that i lean towards declining an offer even if the job, salary and perks are good because i dont see how i can work 10 hrs per day with poor facilities.

I am wondering if other women too have such considerations or if i am being too picky.

Hoping to see feedback.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    KashmirFlower and blissofmylife like this.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

No You are just being practical..
    I myself have experienced how difficult it is to work 10 hrs a day without facilities..
    I'm not working now, but previously I had worked in a well known company..
    In spite of being reputed the facilities were not upto the mark...for example, coffee and tea dispensing machines not maintained well, wash area crammed with used cups..biscuits were very cheap salt biscuits and biscuit dabbawalas were not cleaned properLy..
    Cafeteria food was ok ok, very difficult to eat regularly if unable to cook at home..
    Crowded cafeteria..in peak lunch hour no place to sit or even stand..
    Cafeteria tables and chairs were not cleaned properly sometimes, food particles everywhere..
    Restrooms were not cleaned properly and very few toilets which were not sufficient for the large number of female employees..lot of times soap solution not replaced n restroom..
    Transport facilities were pathetic and many well known areas not connected through office cab facilities..many times people who were registered for office transport would not get place to sit as they arranged small vehicles ..lot of times the drivers didn't follow route or pickup drop timings properly..
    These things made it quite difficult for me to work productively for 10 hrs in office, as I had to cook everyday to bring lunch and could not relax even one day to eat in canteen..tea breaks I would just gulp down tea as it was tasteless..lunch I would rush to cafeteria before lunch hour started so I could peacefully avoid crowd..when I was delayed due to some work I had to stand and wait for long to get place to sit and eat food in cafeteria..I had to wait 15 minutes minimum to use restroom sometimes..and struggled with crowded public transport during peak hours..office building was 1.5 km from entrance and employee needed to walk 1.5 km and cross road to reach bus stop..very difficult on daily basis..yeah on the whole my productivity was affected..
    So yes I believe that facilities matter a lot when you work in a company...

madras2018 likes this.
  3. madras2018

Oh i hear you !! I relate to all of the points you mentioned. I once worked at an IT MNC where i could see roaches lurking near the coffee machine and sugar container.

You really begin to hate the company that makes profits but cant seem to care about the facilities it offers people.

I am in a peculiar situation where i got offered an amazing salary but the company's restrooms look a bit like airport public restrooms (clean but just barely). No beverage dispenser or ability to make oneself fresh coffee or tea. No designated eating areas. I am at a loss to know whether to take it up. Frankly even if they knocked off a cpl of lakhs from my pay and provided an excellent coffee machine and cleaner loos, i'd be much happier.

Have you ever been faced with such a situation ? Wld u turn down a job if the facilities were not great even if pay was ?

generic likes this.
  4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

My previous company once had 8 hrs as mandatory working hours..and office cabs with frequency of every 3 hrs...then a year later they increased work timings to 9.5-10 hrs depending on project and reduced the frequency of office cabs..it was one of the most irritating things to happen!
    I sometimes envied people in smaller companies who din't have much facilities and lesser pay but had flexi timings and work from home option!
    I attended an interview in a company ..startup with just 2 restrooms and not well maintained..but I did not get an offer from that company so couldn't face such a dilemma:)

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I used to make my own instant coffee by taking milk from home and used to keep spoon, small knife to cut fruits, coffee powder and sugar in my cube.
    If they allow small coffee machine at your cube you can do by yourself.

Is eating at desk allowed? I prefer that if it is allowed and everybody is doing.

But Restrooms cleanliness what can one do. Even tissue roll and sanitary napkin you can take in your bag but if it is not maintained well is it complaining to respected persons help? try that and see, take a group of people signed papers for asking for clean bathrooms, if not taken action.

butterflyice, Amica and madras2018 like this.
  6. madras2018

I like the ideas you proposed. I may have to take my own coffee or tea like you did (glad to hear abt yr experience so i know it wont be weird if i take my own stuff). I think i may just get an electric kettle. Regarding restrooms i may have to live with it. But thinking of purchasing disposable paper toilet seat covers. Pricey...but only practical work around.

Alternatively i may choose to drop the offer. Which is a bit sad as it is the best offer i got.

7. KashmirFlower

if you still not taken the offer talk to HR about why you want to drop, i am sure they will take it seriously and fix the issue.

problem is with we indians skills in using and maintaining restrooms. even in usa if a movie complex/ strip mall etc are by indian owner or all indian movies running the restrooms becomes so dirty. especially kids throw some tissue on floor , wet floor etc.

in india few places, there are 11/7 type facility on the highway roads. clean bathrooms. only ecause one woman cleans after every use. then only they can be clean in india, sad but true.

hope office going people are using tissue instead of water hose

8. madras2018

It is weird - i am getting calls from sr management as to why i have not accepted their offer yet. But i am a bit embarassed to talk about this issue or explicitly raise this issue as the reason for holding back. Because the mentality in india makes me feel that they might think i am high maintenance or worse that i am fussing over "inconsequential" details when other men and women working there seem to be accepting it. But they did admit during hiring that they have trouble hiring the best and brightest. Also their brightest guys migrate to other firms (which i know have fantastic facilities). I also didnt see that many women around. Mostly men.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. madras2018

Lucky escape !!

10. KashmirFlower

mentioning it to them is good, hope others too raise such basic things.
    after joining they may not value much , now it is more powerful to get it done. but how can make sure that they worked on it and upto the mark.